rooDial a Wireless Volume Knob for Roon with Microsoft Surface Dial

The surface dial goes to sleep and i need to press it one or two times to wake up. Is there a solution to this issue?

Hi, @Ehab_Heikal and welcome to the forum.

I believe the issue youā€™re describing is the same issue reported earlier by @RBM and that I also posted about a couple of posts back.

@DrCWO (one of the authors of rooExtend) acknowledged our reports of the issue and has said that heā€™s going to look at it.

Thanx for your help.
But going to older version is not the optimal solution.

I didnā€™t recommend doing so. The issue is known and we need to give @DrCWO time to investigate. As he shared previously, heā€™s unfortunately ill at the moment but if history serves, heā€™ll probably look at this fairly quickly once he recovers.

Hope he gets well soon. Patience is a virtue.

1 Like

You donā€˜t have to press twice. You also can rotate a bit in the direction you like and after some time it gets operational again. This is the time bluetooth reeds for reconnection the services. I will see what I can do here as it seems to be an issue of bluetz 5.5. In v2.x.x it was bluez 5.4 This is one of the moments I really hate Linux :disappointed_relieved:
But patience please, this will take a wile if it can beo solved at allā€¦

Best DrCWO

It would be good if you enable the use of usb hid too since there are a few such dials that are cheap and would not need to wake up.

If i downgrade, does the downgraded version have roon endpoint like the new one since i was running the endpoint as well as roodial on one rp 4. I tried using pi zero w, but it was unstable maybe because of the power.

If you mean Roon bridge with ā€œendpointā€ the answer is Yes

Best DrCWO

where is the older version?

i will need to deactivate licese if i downgrade yes?

Yes, revoke license first.

The get to diy.rooExtend.com, select rooDial and find the download area.

You see folders for Pi ARMv8 and PI ARMv6. The latter is the v2.3.2.

Best DrCWO

so i can burn this armv6 and run it on pi 4? And that would give me both roon endpoint and roodial?

Sure it will, but there are still some issues regarding rooPlay that fixed in v3.x.x. :+1:
But rooDial and Roon Bridge should work OK

Best DrCWO

Thanx will try that and I hope you are getting better :slight_smile:

1 Like

I installed the older version as you said, but the roon bridge is not showing up in roon. I even reinstalled the roon bridge from the web interface but nothing. The ā€œshow sound interfaceā€ shows the correct usb dac i have.

Have you enabled it in the rooExtend License Manager?

Thanx i forgot to enable it. The dial is working more reliably but sometimes needs me to remove the battery and put it back in to run.

1 Like

Now roodial stops working with the dial nearly once a day. Works only after i remove the batteries from the dial and put them backin.

Hi, I installed rooExtend and rooDial a couple of days ago, I really love them so far. Today however I touched the dial and the volume raised to the point I was afraid my speakers could explode :scream: that was really uncomfortable. I noticed that rotating the dial by just a few degrees was enough to go through the full range of the amplifier. I checked the settings but they were actually reasonable, now I changed to 8 db per full rotation and in fact I get about 30 db difference in less than 30 degrees of rotation. Any idea where the problem could be? I am using a standard ROCK as core, the dial is on a raspberry pi 3 B+ and the pre is NAD C658. Thanks in advance