rooDial a Wireless Volume Knob for Roon with Microsoft Surface Dial

Did you reboot everything and try again? Sadly, this is sometimes necessary.

I don’t have an answer for you but I’m curious how, independent of rooExtend / rooDial, you control volume on the zone you’re working with.

You’re using your NAD as a pre, and that’s the Roon (BluOS) zone. Is that zone set to “Use Device Volume” and do you normally adjust your Pre’s volume? Or does your amp have a volume that you typically adjust?

I’m wondering if your pre should be, or is treated like, line out and should be fixed in which case rooDial isn’t going to work for you in that zone.

Just a guess.

Thanks, I did not yet in case there is something to be learned. Frankly it was quite scary and if this happens again I will probably have to find another solution, I don’t want to risk my speakers nor wake up the whole building

@gTunes thanks for your inputs, I probably was not clear enough, the system worked perfectly with rooDial in the past few days and the volume control was reasonable, that’s why I was fully taken by surprise today

1 Like

I understand. I do think it’s worth considering what I wrote about volume control. One scenario that could explain what you’re seeing is that your setup is pre → amp and that rooDial is controlling the pre’s output but you also use a remote or a dial on the amp itself to control its output. If in between the “time it worked” and now, you or someone increased the volume on the amp, that could explain exactly what you’re seeing.

But if your amp is fixed and you’re sure that nobody touched it, then my points here don’t apply.

I hope you figure this out!

What release did you use. V3.0.x?
There is a bug in the linux driver that I sent to the Linux guys last year but nothing happens until now.
I had to live with it and did a lot of things that this did not happen. As I heared nothing regarding this issue for such a long time I thought my solution was bullet proof. Seems not :face_vomiting:
Please set up max volume in your device settings to avoid speaker damage. And if it happens again please send the log to info@definiteaudio.de. Maybe I find this final hole…
The work around is to remove batteries. After this it should work as expected.
This is the big fun I have working with free software. Bugs and nobody is responsible for fixes :sob:
I am really sorry about that.

Best DrCWO

@Eddie_F , @DrCWO

I experienced exactly the same things. I even blown up the tweeter of one of my B&W 803!
The solution is to remove the batteries of the Microsoft Surface Dial and insert them again.
But that is a temporary solution, as I had the same issue already 5 times since I started using rooDial approx. a month ago.
Now I always turn the knob a little bit anti-clockwise until it reacts, and checks if it is going totally down or only one volume-step. If it turns only one volume-step down, I know that it is safe and that I can turn the volume clockwise to a higher level.
But don’t think that 5 minutes later it is still safe, because I already had that 5 minutes later the hell got loose again when I simply wanted to turn the dial a fraction clockwise. To be clear: nothing in the room was changed in between those two volume adjustments. I must admit that the fun of using the rooDial isn’t that great any more.
I have put my Raspberry Pi 2W still what closer to the Microsoft Dial in the hope that this will solve the problem, but I am not sure. The distance was approx. 1,5 m. Now it is approx. 1m.
@DrCWO does the same behavior occurs when using a Nuimo? I am hoping to solve this issue with a second hand Nuimo. But the second hands Nuimo are very expensive, and also the price of the license is much higher than of the rooDial. But I have to find a solution, as the price of a tweeter of a B&W 803 is also very high!
I have set now the volume-restrictions in Roon of my Rotel RC-1590 to an acceptable level. I use the extension of Boris Schaedler to handle the volume of the amp. I wiil check if that will safe my tweeters.

No,
this driver issue only occurs with the Surface Dial.

As I can’t reproduce it here any more I need to know more details. You use 2W, wireless or with Ethernet? I run ethernet only. What I urgently need is a logfile after this happened and before you put out batteries.

Maybe the reason lies in the WiFi connection in combination with the driver issue. I will set up a Zero 2W and see if I can reproduce the behavior with Zero 2W and WiFi.

I am really sorry to hear about the killed tweeters and will report back If I got an idea of what goes wrong there. I have to handle the driver issue in user space as I don’t have the knowledge to build or modify Linux drivers. I tried my best but seems it was not enough :sob:

Best DrCWO

The Zero 2 W is fully wireless: No Ethernet-connector and no BT-dongle (yet). That is why I decreased the distance between Dial and Zero 2W to its minimum. It is also not too close to a WiFi Basestation, so it would be satturated. But the WiFi-signal is still good enough.

I have no idea what’s happening and will let you folks try to figure it out.

@DrCWO - do you think, though, that it’s worth looking at whether either of these users has changed teh “Change volume at playback only” setting to “No”? I believe it defaults to “Yes”. Just a thought.

Hi Greg,
I can confirm that the setting “Change volume at playback only” is set to “No”, as I also use the Dial when I am watching TV. So Roon is not playing at that moment, but I can still change the volume of the Rotel via the Dial. Up till now I only had the error when playing music via Roon. But on the other hand I seldom watch TV.

Thanks. Will setup a Pi Zero W2 now with WiFi and see if I can reproduce this.
Please think of sending log if the issue occurred again…

@DrCWO ,
Which specific log do you want:

• System Log
  • Update Log
  • Service Info
    All of them or still another?
    Kind regards, Frank.

System Log please to info@definiteaudio.de

Thanks @DrCWO and @Frank_M for your inputs, that does sound worrying.
On my side I can say that I was running rooExtend on a raspberry 3B+ and at the time I had the issue it was connected via wireless, unfortunately I had rebooted it in the meanwhile so the logs are gone, I have now connected it over Ethernet and I will do so for a couple of days to see if the problem is reproduced in this setup. “Change volume at playback only” is indeed set to “Yes”.

@gTunes sorry for misunderstanding your comment, indeed it would make sense but with the additional information it is pretty clear that this points to another issue, I hope this can be solved soon and I will share any information I can.

I do agree that it looks like another issue. On community support forums, like this one, well intentioned people (like me, usually) who are trying to help, can get in the way of someone making progress. I apologize for popping in and doing that.

I hope you, @Frank_M and @DrCWO figure this out.

3 Likes

Hi @DrCWO,
What’s currently the best budget HW for rooDial only?
It can be Ethernet-only device if that changes anything.

If you get a Pi with ARMv8 and wired Ethernet you are future proof.
So get a Pi 2 Mod. B v1.2 or above will be fine.

best DrCWO

1 Like

I’ve read that adding an action to start a specific radio station is planned (for a long time already…).

When do you plan to introduce that feature? I’d really appreciate that.

I have a long list of improvements for most of my Roon Extensions. I will work on this list after having published rooHead in Feb. starting with new functionalities for rooDial. You can rely on this :+1:

This means no more new Roon Extensions after rooHead but instead working on the open topics :grinning:

Merry X-mas
DrCWO

3 Likes