rooDial a Wireless Volume Knob for Roon with Microsoft Surface Dial

Sure. Ropieee is installed on a Raspberry Pi4 feeding a Topping D10s DAC and a Topping L30 headphone amplifier.

This means you have connected the D10s to Ropiee and cannot control Device volume with rooDial. Have you ever tried to connect the dac to the Pi where rooExtend is running?

Yes. Ropieee is connected to the D10s with the endpoint set to device control. Roodial is working as expected, the only command that does not work is ā€žvolume upā€œ.
I have also tried to connect the D10s directly to the RPI where rooExtend is running. In this setup everything is working fine (but I ran into a separate problem where the RPi rebooted every 15mins or so).

This means the Roon bridge inside Ropieee is the one that has the issue.
Reboot seams to to be a too small power supply for the Pi as the DAC is USB powered.

Best DrCWO

I will reinstall Roon bridge on the Ropieee endpoint and/ or perform a completely fresh installation of Ropieee and see if that helps.
Interesting point about the power supply. I have another DAC with a dedicated PSU. Let me see if that resolves the rebooting issue.

1 Like

Issue with Surface Dial Bluetooth Pairing

I am enthusiastically waiting to get this working and would appreciate some help. Iā€™ve followed all of the instructions to set up Roon Extend/ RooDial on my brand new Raspberry Pi4 and new MS Surface Dial. Iā€™ve purchased a life time subscription. Everything shows up in Roon Extensions (as unpaired and licensed). When attempting to pair, the MS Dial blinks repeatedly (i.e. it continues to search, does not connect to any device) and then times out. I can confirm that both the Pi and the Surface Dial are showing up as available bluetooth Devices if I do a Bluetooth network Search. After repeatedly failing to pair, I reset the Pi with Noobs (after revoking RooExtend license), and connect the Surface Dial via bluetooth successfully. After re-loading RooExtend and RooDial the MS Surface Dial still will not pair. Any suggestions?? Thanks

I recently installed rooDial and my pi4 is working flawlessly also as a roon endpoint.
I was just wondering if thereā€™s something I could do to output roon display from my pi4 trough the micro hdmi port.

Have you tried removing batteries from the Dial before pairing?
That helped me a few times - I guess that resets previous pairing.

Mine was failing because it was connecting to my previously paired desktop pc. After I removed the surface dial from my pc, it paired immediately with my Pi4.

Quick update on my issues:
The problem with the volume up command not working was related to the volume limit settings which I had accidentally changed. After resetting the limits, everything is working as expected.
However, I am still experiencing the issue of the Rpi rebooting when running Roon Bridge and the extension in parallel. The behavior is the same after replacing the D10s with a DAC with a dedicated power supply.

Please try to change Power supply of Pi. Never had an issue like yoursā€¦

The HDMI TV has to be connected if you power on the Pi.
in License Manager at the end of the page you can see if the dispay got discovered. If yes it should show the Roon logo and you can use it as a display for Roon artwork.

I am a bit in a hurry as I will travel to Africa for two weeks starting tomorrow morning. Please look in this thread for my posting not long ago. Pairing with the Pi is only possible for a limited time after rebootā€¦

Thank you. I will look through the thread. I assume you mean to reboot the Pi at anytime and not just after initial install of RooExtend?

Yes
Best DrCWO

I connected the HDMI cable to my TV, selected this input and turned the Pi4 on. However, the TV status shows ā€œā€“ā€. Any ideas on what I can be doing wrong? Btw, I use the original Pi4 power brick.

Thank you Raphael. The MSD was new and never connected to anything. Interestingly I was able to pair the MSD with the Same Pi4 running raspberry, and subsequently to a MacBook (Donā€™t worry, I remembered to ā€œforgetā€ the Surface Dial afterward).

1 Like

Thank your the suggestion Piotr. Unfortunately removing and replacing the batteries (multiple times) and replacing with new ones (at 98% charge) did not do the trick. I will keep this in mind though once I am eventually able to pair the MSD.

Thank you for clarifying DrCWO. I did reboot several times and tried to pair immediately after reboot. (This was after removing the batteries from MSD on several attempts and then replacing the batteries with new ones). I also removed the aluminium case in the event it was blocking the BT signal. In terms of proximity, MSD was placed next to the Pi (almost touching). Is there anything else I should try? Did I read somewhere that an earlier version of the RooDial might be worth trying?

@Markie_Sitar
I have had almost the same problem with my Surface Dial. I tried a lot of times to pair the MSD with my RPI, without success. When I tried to pair the MSD to a Windows PC, it paired immediately. After removing it from the Windows PC, it was still not able to pair with the RPI. After a lot of tests, the MSD even didnā€™t want to start the pairing procedure any more when I pushed the button: the led didnā€™t even start to flash any more.
The MSD was of course still under guarantee, as I bought it for RooDial. It was the 2WR-00002. The shop reimbursed me.
Since that type of MSD gave me problems, I have looked for the 2WS-00002. When it arrived, the pairing was done immediately, without problems. The new MSD didnā€™t gave me any problems since it arrived.
I have tried to look for any difference between 2WR-00002 and 2WS-00002, but I couldnā€™t find an official statement what the differences are and if I should have used a specific MSD to use with RooDial.
I have seen messages appearing of other users that are happy wit the 2WR-00002, but for me it didnā€™t work out. It is also possible that I had a buggy one, but it was able to pair with a normal Windows PC, so for me it was not bricked in the first place.
So perhaps you should try to get another MSD to check if that one is pairing correctly.
I hope my experience can help you further. It is my experience, so donā€™t shoot me if a new MSD is not helping you further. For me it did.

1 Like