rooDial a Wireless Volume Knob for Roon with Microsoft Surface Dial

One meter distance should be OK.
As you have paired before with other devices please follow this procedure:

• Flash rooExtend v3.0.x to your SD Card
  • Turn off your PC and anything using BT. If not possible disable BT on these devices (TV, HiFi, phone, tablet,…).
  • Best move to a place where no BT device is in reach.
  • Take out batteries if the MSD
  • Power up the Pi, enable the rooExtend License Manager in Settings/Extensions of Roon and enter the license key for rooDial.
  • Wait until you see rooDial in Roon Settings/Extensions and enable it. Use your iPhone or iPad with disabled BT for that!
  • Reinsert betteries in MSD
  • Press the pairing button on MSD

It should blink several time six to ten and then stop.

• Look in Roon Settings/Extensions if it got paired.
  • If not get a new MSD.

It worked for several hundred users so also should work at your home :wink:

Best DrCWO
Writing from Frankfurt airport on my trip to Africa :+1:

I had similiar problems when I tried to pair the MSD with my Pis first time. I was not sure if other electronic devices may disturb the pairing. So I put the Raspi and the MSD 2-3 meters away from my HiFi equipment and other electronic devices. Then pairing worked and I could place the Raspi to the HIFi rack again. Worked fine from now on.

1 Like

If the TV is on and HDMI selected please boot the PI. If the TV and the PI are Ok you should see some boot log output on the Tv. This is completely independent from rooExtend.
This means: if you don‘t see the boot log something is wrong with your TV or your HDMI cable.

After the start of rooExtend the Roon logo should appear.

Best DrCWO
Free WiFi Airport Addis Ababa

1 Like

I bought a new cable and now it works as it should!
Thanks for the great product and fast communication!

1 Like

Thank you Frank. The MSD I have is model 2WR-00001. I was able to get it to work eventually.

Thank you Cinelinde, You are right, this was a pairing issue. I was able to get the MSD to pair by taking the steps you suggested, and using an external USB antenna.

Luckily I found Dr. CWO’s earlier post and purchased the external XEMTE BT Antenna for my RPI4. After rebooting the RPI with the Antennae already inserted, and then following the usual pairing procedure, it worked!

As a bonus, the MSD magnetically attaches to our stainless steel fridge (my wife’s suggestion) which is great as I purchased this to use in the kitchen.

2 Likes

ah, that‘s great. Glad it works now for you :+1:

Is there any way to chose what the Pi4 displays at the TV? At my computer there are a few options but I couldn’t find any to apply to the Pi4 display configuration on Roon settings.

Hi @raphael_vilamiu,
at first I am happy you can see the Roon logo now :+1:

In Roon in Settings/Displays you should find an entry called „Chrome“ I guess. Can‘t tell exactly as I am traveling and have no access.

There you can select what get displayed, for example the lyrics.

You can use the display if you klick on the speaker icon (right down). Above the opening volume slider you see a TV icon. Click on it and select “Chrome“ as your display and start it.

Best DrCWO
From Burunge Tented Lodge, Tazania

Hi, DrCWO. Yes, I can start the display as you described. It even starts automatically and I can select if I want to show lyrics or not.
I was just wondering if there’s any way to choose something else. For example, in my desktop and iPad, I have a lot of displaying options (see attached image).

I found a topic that seems to deal with the display optimization I mentioned:

1 Like

Cool, contacted the author, maybe include in rooExtend…

1 Like

It would be awesome if you could include it!

@DrCWO take a vacation, please! You’re someplace wonderful. Enjoy. Let us DIYers deal with our own service issues for 2 weeks, and maybe, just maybe, you can occasionally help out the paying customers. Your level of attention is wonderful - but you need a break!

4 Likes

Yes. What @Johnny_Ooooops said. It’s what I’ve been thinking, too. Enjoy your holidays. You have enough experienced users here to help folks out while you’re vacationing. We’ll all be here when you get back!

2 Likes

Thank you, be sure I will :star_struck::’ :sunny: :sunglasses:

Assigning Volume Control to Individual Zone Only Even When Grouped

Love using the MSD to control volume in the Kitchen (while MSD is magnetically stuck to Fridge)!

What happens if I would like to maintain volume control over the kitchen (only) when I add another room? At the moment it seems I have the choice to 1. Adjust the volume for the entire grouped Zone, or 2. Loose volume control over the kitchen.

This seems to depend on “Zone follows Playback” (ZFP) settings in RooDial Extension settings. If ZFP is enabled, MSD volume commands now apply all the Roon endpoints collectively as a group, once the group is created. (That is, MSD turns everything up or down together, and individual volume control for the Kitchen lost.)

Alternatively, if ZFP is disabled, and a group has been created, MSD appears to continue sending (L) (R) (P) commands to the Kitchen Zone (as viewed in Roon Extensions) with no discernible effect on playback.

Wondering if any experienced users have found away around this, or this is just the way RooDial functions?

I’ve found one potential solution to the same problem with Nuimo controller: ask @DrCWO to implement possibility to limit followed zones (or explicitly define list of zones to follow) :slight_smile:

As far as I remember that was parked on the to-do list without much chance to be implemented soon. But maybe additional interested users would raise priority of that feature request?

1 Like

That would certainly be a really handy feature with the MSD - its absence is the reason I don’t use the Zone Follows Playback feature at the moment.

It’s the way RooDial functions.

The author of RooDial is on vacation at the moment so you may not hear back from him for a few weeks. He doesn’t seem very good at actually taking vacation, so you may hear sooner :slight_smile:

@Piotr_Pekala’s suggestion is really interesting and could help but it seems like a complicated area. In my house, any given zones may be playing independently (by different people) or might be grouped. Having a single dial work correctly for both cases may be tricky. I do believe that Roon’s “group” architecture always has a primary zone to which the other zones are grouped. I wonder if another approach would be to allow the user to bind a controller to a specific zone but also indicate whether or not zones grouped with that zone should be controlled. So you’d have to start your group with the controlled zone and then group to it, but that doesn’t seem to bad. Just an alternative idea.

I’ll add that for my usage, having a controller dedicated to each commonly used area worked really well. I don’t do a lot of grouping and, when I do, I’ve never really found group volume control to be all that great (this is from years of Sonos use). But that’s just a personal experience and preference.