rooDial a Wireless Volume Knob for Roon with Microsoft Surface Dial

Try to open the IP-Address of rooExtend and see if there is a button you can press to reset the unit to factory defaults. I can’t remember if this was already in at v1.5.3. this clears the pairing and you should be able to newly pair the Surface Dial with rooExtend.

Other option is to upgrade to the latest v2.x.x release you find here and also redo pairing.

Hope this helps.
Best DrCWO

rooExtend webpage or in roon has no reset. Latest 2.x had so many problems with me.
Would revoking the licence and redoing it do the same?

Sure :+1:
This will also be fine.

Hi CWO,

Just had a look at the dial options for your great box.
And the Surface Dial is available new! But I read something about a power saving issue with this. It’s said it would go into deep sleep mode after 10 minutes of inactivity. And waking up the device would take several seconds. That wouldn’t be so fine for controlling music from time to time.
I also looked for the Nuimo. Very hard to find, but looks even better. The only downside I read about is the rather short battery life of roughly 8hrs, before recharging.
The Space Mouse looks more technical than fancy.

How do you handle this for a good controlling of roon?

Thanks again,
Matthias

This is correct. I will finish an update for the Surface Dial hopefully during the next four to six weeks so this issue will be fixed. Planned it before but was too busy in preparations for the Munich HighEnd Audio show. This issue is only with release 3.x.x of rooExtend. In the meantime you can use v2.x.x. until this got fixed.

Nuimo is the best controller but very hard to het. I use one in my home still with pleasure! Place a search at Ebay Kleinanzeigen and with some luck you may find one. The eight hours battery life are for listening only, so it lasts for one day music listening. If you don’t listen ist lasts for months.

Space Mouse has it’s own wireless receiver instead of Bluetooth. More reliable but the distance to bridge ist up to 3.5m. With the Surface Dial you can get up to 10m if you use the ZEXMTE external USB antenna.

Best DrCWO

Hi Carl, I have been using v2.3.2 for a few months and have had the “deep sleep” problem since I started using it. i find it takes a few rotations of the dial before there is a haptic & volume response, I bought a second dial thinking the original might be faulty but the same problem occurred.

I wonder about that. Sure there is a small delay but the delay is much bigger in v3.x.x. I already debugged to verify that. But there might be a difference. I tested if communication breaks down causes by too much WiFi. So maybe the 10minutes things may be different.
Here I cannot reproduce the 10min shutdown as my communication breaks earlier.
Nevertheless this is a good hint to also test this if I work on this issue soon.

Best DrCWO

1 Like

Ah, good to know :+1:t3:
Then, with your planned fix, how would the Surface Dial behave then?

In my case the delay is around 10 seconds (definitely not as long as a minute) :+1:t4:

Should be below one second…

1 Like

just timed it, 8 seconds … life is to short (at my age) :joy:

1 Like

Hmm, mine has never been this short…always a few seconds, although I dont think as many as 8 :thinking:

Looked back some years, and I couldn’t find any concrete information on firmware updates for the Surface dial. Do you know something about this? May be important if considering something like wakeup times.

Never heard of a firmware update for the device.

But as far as I can see HID services are the reason for the delay. In the upcoming reimplementation of rooDial I plan to directly access the Bluez demon and no more on HID. Will be a bit more complicated but hopefully with better results.

This should improve things a lot.

Best DrCWO

2 Likes

Hi, I’m glad to see this thread is still active as i’ve recently encountered a problem with my Surface Dial. I’ve been using it with no problems at all for over a year now, firstly just to Pause/Skip tracks but in the past few months i’m also using it to control volume - at the most sensitive setting (8) as i only ever need to change the volume 4 or 5 dB up or down. However a few days ago it became a bit ‘glitchy’ where a small turn that would normally change the volume 1 or 2 dB was now jumping 20dB, 40dB or even straight down to 0 d (from a 70dB starting point). I changed the batteries and , as before , the pause/Skip functions all work properly, and i’ve tried adjusting the Roo Dial setting within Roon to see if altering the sensitivity made a difference, but still the same results. So i’ve either got a problem with the Dial itself or there is a problem within the program ? Have you had any reports of a similar problem before ? Do you know if the Surface Dial can be cleaned internally - maybe dust/dirt has got inside ??? Any ideas would be great please.

Sounds promising. I’m excited hearing from you :slightly_smiling_face:

@Richard_Poole
Please take a look at the release number in the License Manager of rooExtend. You probably run an old release. I thought that issue was already fixed in the latest v2.x.x

Best DrCWO

Hi, Thanks for quick response. yes, it looks like i’m running an old version v1.4.0 - i will attempt to download the newest version but have completely forgotten what i need to do, so although i’ll google and look through your website for instructions, if you happen to be able to respond on here with a link , that might come in handy ! p.s i’m assuming it’s a free update ?

This is the link to my download area.

You can decide to install ARMv6 (v2.3.2) or ARMv8 (v3.1.4). The latter cannot be used for Pi Zero W and still has the issue with the delay after the Dial disconnected that will be hopefully solved soon.

But v3.1.4. has an OTA update at night between 2 and 4 AM so you always stay on the latest release.

If you don’t use the same PI for the new release you have to revoke your licenses before stating up the new device. Staying on the same device you just have to enter your License Keys after the first boot.

Best DrCWO

Hi,
am just getting startet with rooDial and wonder if there would be the possibility to set an action on a button that starts s specific Radio Station our Playlist.
Is this possible?

best regards