rooDial a Wireless Volume Knob for Roon with Microsoft Surface Dial

Via email? Just trying to figure out where to search.

Thanks

Yes, email.

This. Yes.

Found it in my email - Thanks to all of you I have the rooDial up and running again. What would we do without the support supplied by folks like you that simply want to help?

Much thanks.
Dan

4 Likes

Hi @DJD,
I apologize not being able to answer earlier. Last Thursday we had a holiday in Germany so I took a break for Mountain Biking in Franconia. There I was without network most of the time.

Iā€™m happy the community helped out with your issue.

THANKS FOLKS :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Best DrCWO

2 Likes

I apologise if this has already been solved in this thread but i scanned down to halfway and then gave up, the thread is just too long !

Iā€™ve been using Roodial with surface dial for over a year, never a problem until recently when a small turn of the dial would sporadically see the volume alter massively, rather than 1 or 2 dB.

I checked out the threads and after some help from the creator, i successfully upgraded my old version of rooExtend to v 3.2.0. Dial still had problemsā€¦

Key point, recently the smoothness of the turning mechanism had altered, i blew some compressed air into it in case it had some dirt inside but still same problem (all the ā€˜pressā€™ functions worked ok).

So i ended up buying another surface dial, which arrived this morningā€¦but it wonā€™t pair with my Pi. The old dial continually pairs and unpairs , but the new dial doesnā€™t it just blinks and blinksā€¦but the new dial is currently paired perfectly with my laptop, which only took a few seconds.

The new dial is a 2WR 00002 which i did see mentioned in an old post, but i didnā€™t find a reply that suggested that model of dial had a pairing problem with a Pi/rooExtend.

Can anyone point me to a post i may have missed or give me an idea what the problem may be ? From reading the thread it doesnā€™t appear that each dial is paired exclusively to one Pi, but i may have missed somethingā€¦that feels like the only plausible explanation ??

Hi @Richard_Poole,
pairing the Dial with the laptop was the worst thing that could be done :cold_sweat:

Please go to my download page (Link you find on http://diy.rooExtend.com) and get the Manual for the rooExtend-Box. There you find a lot of hints and instructions how to proceed.

But before you do all that please open the service page of rooExtend in your browser and reset it to factory defaults. Pairing og your old Dial persists if you donā€™t do that and you have no chance to pair the new Dial.

I already worked on the issue of the volume going up and thought it was solved. Seems not to be so. This is a Linux issue and difficult to handle in user space.

But as I currently work on a complete reimplementation of rooDial I wonā€™t spend any effort on going into this hell again. Hope you understand.

Best DrCWO

It looks like my Allo Digione cannot be used with rooDial since the device is ā€œfixed volumeā€. :crying_cat_face:

If you switch the zone to DSP volume you will be able to adjust volume.

That does not work. If I switch to DSP, the Dial vibrates out of control.

DSP volume is quite a good option. See my measurements here.

Having DSP volume activated you should be able to change volume with the volume slider of the Zone within Roon. If this works you made the first step.

Regarding vibration.

• Open the settings of rooDial in Roon Settings/Extensions
  • Select the Zone of your Alo Digione
  • Disable haptic feedback

Hope this helps
Best DrCWO

Thanks for your swift reply, i followed the instructions yesterday evening and after two attempts everything is up and running using the new Surface Dial.

I do find it all a bit tricky to set up or sort out any problems, but rooDial is worth the hassle - a great bit of kit :+1:

1 Like

I have a Raspberry Pi Zero 2W and licensed RooDial, I have a replacement Microsoft surface dial as fist one was faulty but the new one will not connect to Pi Bluetooth. I can see the MSDial in the bluetooth list on my MacBook air, not connected. RooExtend/RooControl is 1.01 and RooDial 1.5.4 shows My Kef LSX speakers asleepng even when Roon is running and it is not showing as licensed however licence manager shows the licence. Can you advise what the issue may be?

I have had success logging in to Extend and resetting to factory default.

Hi @Nick_Bending,
I recommend to use a newer release of rooExtend. With the Pi Zero 2W you can even run release 3.x.x. It has nightly OTA update so you will be always on the latest release.

Resetting to factory defaults is a must if you change the Dial as rooDial remembers the already connected dial and did not allow to pair with a new one.

On my website http://diy.rooExtend.com you find a link to my download area including a manual for the rooExtend-Box. It offers a lot of tips what to do if the connection fails.

Hope that helps.
Best DrCWO

I reset the pi and reloaded RooExtend v3.1.4 all goes well and connects to my Wifi
RooExtend Licence Manage 3.1.4 appears in Roon extensions which I have enabled.
RooControl 1.0.1 also appears not enabled but RooDial does not appear in the list.

This may have two reasons:

• You have not entered your License Key for rooDial in the License Manager. Open its settings, enter it and press Save.
  • You have selected ā€œrooNuimoā€ in the controller section of the rooExtend License Manager.

Best DrCWO

License is there in the correct place. Strange thing is these apps have now disappeared from Roon Extensions. Iā€™ll reset again later and see what happens.

Iā€™ll clear browser history as well

WiFi is not such a good idea for anything related with Roon. Please check if you can see the rooExtend WiFi created by the Pi. In this case it dropped off your WiFi Routerā€¦

Iā€™m pleased to say I have now got it working but will connect with an ethernet cable to the modem as soon as it arrives. Iā€™m confident that will be more secure.

1 Like