rooDial a Wireless Volume Knob for Roon with Microsoft Surface Dial

My wifi has split ssid to separate 2.4/5Ghz, I am pointing all my activities to 2.4Ghz.

You wife a bit of a geek on the side :wink:

1 Like

Can the zone within rooDial be set to a grouped zone (e.g. ā€œhouseā€ in the example below), and does it adjust volume of all endpoints within that zone?

Yes it can. In the dropdown also grouped zones are displayed like in roon itself. If such a zone is selected the volume of all devices in the zone is adjusted.

Yes, it does.

Got my rooextend ā€œserverā€ set up this morning and it is working perfectly with the dial. Anxiously awaiting the rooUPnP, any hints at when a beta might drop @DrCWO?

Beautiful work!

Michael,
just figured out if something can be done by me regarding your issue.
The answer is No!
The official roon API gives me only access to the Device Limits but not to the Safety Limits. This means you have to live with it. Iā€™m sorry, but there is absolutely no way I can change that :frowning:

Michael,
you are so lucky, it is not documented but roon API deliverd these values so I can proceedā€¦ :+1:

You may want to report this to Roon so others can benefit as well :slight_smile:

Hi,
Got my Raspberry pi zero w + surface dial + roon to work once!
Then it (the dial) went into sleep mode and did not come back.
Did all the basic installation again and now the surface dial wonā€™t pair (no blinking LED with 10 sec. button). Tried to take the batteries out for 10min and in againā€¦ Still no LED.
Roon can see the Pi Zero, I can surf into Pi IP adress.

Did miss a step / config?

You are the third in the forum now reporting this issue :hot_face:
As far as known at the moment all these Dials got defective. It always happened at the very beginning. You can find other posts in the net (not regarding rooDial) reporting the same issue. The only solution possible is returning the Dial to your dealer and get a new one.
Looks like trouble for youā€¦

Am looking to buy rooExtend lifetime license and I did notice the below term:

ā€œIf the RaspberryPi is physically destroyed or no longer works for any other reason before the license has been revoked, this inevitably leads to the loss of the license.ā€

Is there any way to tie the license to a cloud account registered with my e-mail, or to be able to recover the license in case that the RPiW stops working? Is it possible to recover my lifetime license, somehow, without relying on the broken hardware?

I just bought the RPiW and the MS Surface Dial, but now this license question popped up to me.

3 Likes

I fitted the pi to a power board with some double sided tape and used a short usb cable and iph charger to power it. Perfect for nowā€¦Until I can get a small case for it. Just wish I hadnā€™t soldered the header pins to it when I got it.

1 Like

The cheapest is to buy the Raspberry Pi Zero official case, I am sure that it will serve its purpose.

On the other hand, if someone is looking for a more stylish solution: FLIRC make a very attractive case for not too much money:

The case is partly made from aluminum but that does not seem to create a problem for Bluetooth or WiFi.
I am happy with it.
4 Likes

I dont like that case and I have others in mind just shipping is more expensive than the case.

I have plenty of FLIRC cases for my 3ā€™s&4ā€™s Highly recommended if you dont need a hat.

unfortunately hats always compromise PIO optionsā€¦even hat suppliers attempts to provide something fall short usually.

Yeah I got a ā€˜starter kitā€™ which had the pi zero and the official case. Seems ok and wonā€™t block any WiFi/Bluetooth range since itā€™s all plastic.

Handily Iā€™m able to power the pi from the USB port of a blue sound node 2ā€¦

1 Like

Andreas,
I guess you know that you can revoke the license if you plan to change the hardware. In case of a broken Pi please come back to me. I am able to update your license for an additional device at any time. So donā€™t be afraid.

3 Likes

I bought a ā€˜starter kitā€™ as well and used velcro to attach the case on an Apple plug.

IMG_9224

3 Likes

In Sweden I have found these versions of Microsoft Surface Dial:

2WR-00007
2WS-00002
2WS-00006 - this is the P/N which I have ordered

You were mentioning about:

2WR-00002
2WS-00006
2WS-00008

Are these P/Ns from your country? Which is?

Now seriouslyā€¦ is there any hardware revision difference between them and Microsoft has released different hardware revisions over the years? Or they are only market-specific products with different part numbers?

I did found the iFixit teardown for those who are curious about details regarding whatā€™s inside:

https://youtu.be/KY7OBZQd3oQ