rooDial a Wireless Volume Knob for Roon with Microsoft Surface Dial

One fun thing is for others using the likes of Ropeee or other Roon endpoints (Lumin) that support Spotify / AirPlay etc is the rooDial works to control at least the volume…(presses will just start playing Roon content again) so if my wife who like to play Spotify to my Lumin / Ropieee endpoints, can change the volume easily (also have OSMC that can do this too) using the rooDial for the unit in that setup/room where there is a dial.

I think there might be a few more of these in my life as soon as I can find a cheaper source for the dials.

1 Like

Just received my Surface Dial today,
After few minutes of configuration, it works like a charm!
I am keeping on increasing , decreasing, increasing, decreasing the volume, my wife is getting mad. That’s great! :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

I’ve got mine today too. And also here… works great! Really happy with it. Next to controlling volume, start, stop, skip it is also very convenient that I can put my Dutch&Dutch 8C active network speakers in standby mode without having to use the Roon or D&D app.

3 Likes

I just bought a license, will i recieve it on email?
I could not find it anywhere

Right after the purchase you see it in your browser, just copy and paste.

Same issue here. Then I read other post and saw that issue could come from a previous pairing (My dial was paired with my computer before to use it with the Pi).
Although I disconnected it from the computer, the issue was the same, volume would increase swiftly.
Then I remove the battery and plug it back. Only then the dial was controlling slowly the volume.
Maybe add a comment in the documentation about it.

Congratulation for this extension. Installation was really quick and easy.

1 Like

Yes this is what I found too. I had to remove the second pairing and remove the batteries for a few minutes. Then the volume control was smoother and the correct speed.

It would be great if @DrCWO could find a way to support multiple pairings though, I was making good use of the dial with my pc!

1 Like

My biggest grip is the darn Dial goes nighty night … not sure what the default timeout on this is or if its even configurable. I have only ever paired with the RPi Zero (dont use any widows ket other than headless PC Core) and volume seems to be OK at the None setting.

The timeout is five minutes and as far as I know not configurable. Microsoft will know but this information is not disclosed.

I haven’t noticed this tbh. The dial does sleep but wake up is instantaneous when you press/turn and I don’t notice any difference in response.

@John_Darko would love this I bet!

As can be seen from the screenshots I have an issue with rooextend “connecting to wifi” where the “site” can’t be found? Win10 Firewall is disabled but I can’t get past this stage, a network scan shows an IP address assigned to the Pi 3b but it’s not pingable.
I’ve pretty much run out of ideas (I don’t think I’m doing something silly :roll_eyes:) but any suggestions/help would be appreciated.

I had the same issue with the .local extension. What worked for me is just going to the ip address the pi got assigned by dhcp. So it could look like 192.168.0.10.

I have the same experience. After a long(er) ‘standby’ period the dial is responsive. Even after putting my system in standby mode at night (with a long press on the dial), pressing the dial the next day almost instantaneous wakes up the system and starts playmode in Roon again.

Pretty sure I used the default 10.0.0.5 I think it was… but then its should reconnect to your wifi network after that - but I think it can only use 2.4GHz networks

Yes, only 2,4 GHz WiFi

Does this also apply to the bigger more capable RPi 3b and 4’s? or only the Zero?

RPi 3 yes, RPi4 hat 5GHz

1 Like

Should we assume LAN is supported?

Yes, but at the moment with some issues. Tey are on the list for next release…

1 Like