Roodial + MS Surface Dial to control HQP volume via Roon

Yes exactly this, but for the Nuimo remote :grin:
I do enjoy the RooExtend extensions and now I am using it in my living room to run HQPlayer as well into a little iFi DAC II Signature and it is working great.

Though my RooNuimo extension volume control does work most of the time when using HQPlayer (or Vinyl) with my Arcam SA30, but if I hit the play button instead, it plays a song on Roon which takes over HQPlayer or vinyl playback.

1 Like

That Roodial looks perfect, would it not already work? I can control HQP volume from Roon, so I’d assume you could use Roodial to control HQP volume that way too.

I assume it works with Roon+HQP already but see my bold above

So I spent a fair amount of time using Roodial + MS Surface Dial to control HQP volume via Roon, primarily because I wanted to take advantage of the Fletcher Munson loudness processor.

Unfortunately, it’s just too flaky - the Surface is connected via BT and unavoidably goes to sleep very quickly and thus has a small pause when waking up, and sometimes simply doesn’t work. Remote control volume needs to work with very low latency and reliably. Maybe the Nuimo is better. With all due respect to DrCWO who is creating some very neat add-ons to Roon, Rooextend is difficult to use because of license keys tied to individual hardware and managed via Roon extensions.

The trade-offs just weren’t worth it so I am now back to using the analog VC on my T+A Dac 200 instead of HQP digital VC.

2 Likes

Maybe there a USB IR remote that can work

I know Ropieee supports Flirc

I actually do use Flirc + Ropieee for playback control - pause/start and prev/next tracks. It works very well for the most part. There is a small bit of latency vs direct Roon control but it’s ok for one-off actions like these. And it does work for volume up/down except that it only supports one db per press. Long presses unfortunately no longer work and when they did, the latency of multiple serial commands going from Flirc → Roon/HQPlayer would build up and it was a frustrating experience trying to quickly change volume by say 10 db. I have yet to find a remote control digital VC solution via Roon/HQP that works as well as analog/direct remote control.

1 Like

Most should work with HQPlayer Client or HQPlayer Desktop. I’ve tested with bunch of IR/RF HID remotes.

1 Like

This is not your problem of course (unless API doesn’t support?), but if the phone/tablet physical volume buttons could adjust volume of HQPD Control app, that would solve the issue too

Can lower and increase volume faster via tactile, not having to look down and unlock screen etc

I shall ask the dev if possible

Hi @nquery,
you probably use the latest v3.2.1 release of rooExtend.

The transition von v2.x.x. to v3.x.x. made the issue with the sleeping Surface Dial more prominent. At the moment the only way to get better results is to use the v2.x.x you find here
I am currently working on this issue and there is hope. I will use D-Bus where the reconnection is very fast. I already have a prototype of the fix running here but this is not yet released. As I am quite busy with other themes and expect to deliver the update end of September.

With the Nuimo there is no issue but this no solution for those using the Surface Dial :sleepy:

Best DrCWO

4 Likes

On my ipad I can adjust HQP volume with buttons but only when roon screen is on. When the ipad screen is of the buttons are inactive (I guess this is a roon thing, right?).

Yes as per my first post about this (see bold) Im looking for a solution also working without Roon

1 Like

This is good news! I’m looking forward to the update!

Hi @DrCWO yes and we have had direct communications about this issue before. I am well aware of your attempts to fix it! While V2.x.x was better it still had small latency on wakeup and not 100% consistent imo. I look forward to trying your new codebase once it’s ready. Thanks again. (and sorry this got cross-posted).