rooExtend – The easy start with Roon Extensions

rooExtend v2.1.0 now released

I am happy to release the new release v2.1.0 of rooExtend for the Raspberry Pi today. The new version can be downloaded here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1c72vVpuuVlIWJpB8flVAZlHXmW2KNd1k?usp=sharing

I did a lot of refactoring under the hood, updated the underlying Linux to the newest release and included Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W as a supported platform. This work mainly creates new features for rooNuimo but I have also laid a basis to be able to offer these features soon with rooDial and roo6D.

In all Extensions, I reworked the settings dialog to hide extended settings in a separate section.

The License Manager introduced with v2.0.0 can now be disabled till next reboot to clean up Roon’s extension page. Now it also has the ability to disable the blinking Status-Led, a really nice feature for users of the Nuimo Hub.

In addition to Roon Bridge, NAA for the HQPlayer is also supported now. Using a Pi Zero 2 W you probably get the world’s smallest USB Roon audio streamer.

For all rooDial users there is a first attempt to integrate haptics. That’s not particularly nice yet, but the basis with which I can make future features possible. I also reworked pairing with the Surface Dial so I hope that there will be less issues in future. In the next release of rooDial you will find a lot of features, now available for rooNuimo. I also reworked the “Zone Follows” feature for all controllers so you have a better zone control capability.

For the roo6D users there is nothing new but the improved “Zones Follows” functionality. A lot more is planned in v2.2.0.

rooUPnP now supports devices from Denon, Marantz and HEOS. rooUPnP is now also available on the Nuimo-Hub. A Naim user reported that Naim NDS can be used now with FLAC without sound quality issues. Here is a new firmware available from Naim for that.

New features I implemented for rooNuimo. You can skip through your playback zones and get the zone number displayed. Grouping zones, the volume is handled correctly for all devices in the zone now. The Radio and Playlist functionality has been enhanced. You now can skip between your favorite radio stations with the swipe right and left gestures. You also can skip between your playlists by reissuing the Playlist-Command. A Caffeine Mode keeps the Nuimo awake even if the connected zone is not playing.

All available improvements and new features are collected in the Quick installation guide you also find in the download folder.

To upgrade from v2.0.x to v2.1.0 please perform the following steps:

• Enter a USB-Stick in your Pi running rooExtend. This saves your license keys on the USB-Stick. Watch the status line of the License Manager in the Roon Extension Settings. If it tells you to remove the USB-Stick do it. (This is only for users running rooExtend v2.x.x. Others must enter their license keys by hand.)
  • Power Off your raspberry Pi
  • Remove batteries from Microsoft Surface Dial
  • Now flash the SD-Card image of rooExtend v2.1.0 to a new SD-Card.
  • If you run wired Ethernet:
    • Insert the new SD-Card AND the USB-Stick in your Raspberry Pi and power it on.
    • Wait until the License Manager in the Roon Extensions settings appears and enable it.
    • Observe the status line and remove the USB stick when prompted to do so.
  • If you run rooExtend with WiFi:
    • Insert the new SD-Card in your Raspberry Pi and power it on.
    • Run the procedure to connect to your WiFi access point.
    • Power off the Raspberry Pi.
    • Insert the USB-Stick in your Raspberry Pi and power it on again.
    • Wait until the License Manager in the Roon Extensions settings appears and enable it.
    • Observe the status line and remove the USB stick when prompted to do so.

I would also like to thank all of my customers, supporters and beta testers for their valuable contributions and efforts.

Best DrCWO

8 Likes