rooExtend – The easy start with Roon Extensions

:exclamation::exclamation:Welcome to the main support thread of rooExtend. :exclamation::exclamation:

Starting with rooDial, the number of Roon Extensions supported by my rooExtend SD-Card image for the Raspberry Pi grew steadily and will continue growing :+1: :grin:

All my Roon Extensions are collected on my website http://diy.rooExtend.com . If you are looking for a commercial rooExtend Plug&Play solution please visit https://rooExtend.com .

In this Main Thread I will offer support for general questions around rooExtend and licensing.

Also in this thread I will announce all changes and new releases of rooExtend. Since rooExtend now has a nightly OTA update service, your rooExtend installation will always be up to date. However, it might be useful for you to subscribe to this thread to stay informed.

Besides this general Main Thread, I offer its own specific support thread for each of my Roon Extensions:

• rooDial - for the Microsoft Surface Dial.
  • roo6D - for SpaceMouse Wireless from 3D-Connexion.
  • rooNuimo - for the Senic Nuimo.
  • rooWatch - for the Apple Watch.
  • rooUPnP - for UPnP playback via Roon.
  • rooPlay - for playback from Turntable, CD and Apple devices via Roon DSPs.
  • rooHead - for headphone Equalizer calculations.
  • rooAIDJ - for chatting with ChatGPT to discover and play new music with Roon.
  • rooADI - for lossless device Volume Control for all RME ADI-2 family DACs

Please post any questions related to the Roon Extensions above in their specific threads.
I’m happy to answer to all other suggestions and questions here in this tread.

10 Likes

Thank you very much for adding Roon Bridge, it’s a great addition.

It would be very nice if you could add NAA so the same Pi would also be a HQPlayer endpoint!

Kind regards,
Philippe

Philipe,
you are lucky, I now have the NAA software package her and plan to test this next week.

Best DrCWO

1 Like

If this is not the best service ever I don’t know what it is :wink:

4 Likes

And what about the option to add rooUPnP or rooPlay to a Pi used also for other purposes (without much load)? So some packages to install instead of the whole image?
I know it would make support harder, but could be interesting for many people…

Piotr,
I customized the Raspbian image a lot for very few SD-card access to make its life longer, to deliver a WiFi Accesspoint for easy wireless setup and also things to make Bluetooth run with Microsoft Surface Dial and more.

All this I cannot deliver without an image. And as you wrote, support gets much more extensive. I am a one-man-band and my time is limited. So I decided to spend my time in developing cool Roon Extensions instead of handling massive support threads. Looking at the support that Phillipe44 did for his squeeze bridge was a pure nightmare for me. Not everybody is skilled to handle technical IT stuff. So I decided to make things easy even for non IT music listeners. This was my intention. Hope you understand.

Best DrCWO

1 Like

How much does it help though? I’ve been running multiple rpi using Raspberry Pi OS (previously called Raspbian) for many years without any sd card failing…

1 Like

Custom cover plates for Raspberry Pi 4 case from FLIRC!

I wanted to have a custom cover plate for my Pi 4 case from Flirc. There is a small mechanical factory next door but the guy told me that he doesn’t make one-offs. Now I have some of them here and could hand them over.

The lids are milled from aluminum, black anodized and laser engraved. Look very good :slight_smile: They fit perfectly into the recess of the Pi 4 case from Flirc and are flush at the top. They have to be fixed with a drop of super glue. They replace the plastic cover that is shipped with the Flirc case.

If you are interested, I would sell them at a manufacturing price of $ 28 plus 10$ shipping flat worldwide.

If I get some feedback here, I will set up an offer in Sellcodes where you can buy. After buying you must mail me the bought license code and the shipping address.

Here some images so you know what it is.

Best DrCWO

3 Likes

First of all I want to congratulate you with the RooExtend product. I am following the evolutions as of day one.

In my current setup I am running Ropiee on a Pi4 as a Roon Bridge to my Integrated Hegel amp.
I also use the Alarm Clock extension which is included in Ropieee and run on the Pi.

Suppose I would repurpose the Pi to RooExtend I would be able to use a MS Surface knob and the Roon Bridge functionality. But what about the Alarm Clock extension? Is there a way to continue to use this without adding another PI in the mix?

As far as I know the Roon Extensions from @Jan_Koudijs are docker based. So my guess is they also can be run on the Windows or Linux machine where your Roon core is installed.

I did not yet include Jan’s Roon Extensions in my image though I believe this might be possible.

So my recommendation is: Ask Jan if his Extensions can be ran on the Roon Core and if yes you’re done.

I would appreciate if you report the result of your finding here :slight_smile:

Best DrCWO

I have a Pi for a 6d and Nuimo hub for the Nuimo control. Can I use one install of the license manager on the Raspberry Pi to manage both licenses? Or do I need to use license manager on both?

You can run both roo6D and rooNuimo from the same Raspberry Pi.

Meaning, with one Rpi (thus one BT adapter) I can manage both the 3dConnexion Space Mouse and the Nuimo Control?

I use the Nuimo hub to provide BT coverage for a zone that’s at the other end of the house.

As @Klaus_Engel wrote rooExtend allowas the parallel use of roo6D and rooNuimo with ONE Raspberry Pi. The SpaceMouse uses its own wireless dongle so Bluetooth for rooNuimo can coexist without trouble.

Using them both at different locations in your house, it makes sense to run both, the Raspberry Pi AND the Nuimo-Hub. The wireless dongle of the SpaceMouse and also the Bluetooth of the Nuimo only cover some meters.

This also means you have two License Managers running, one at the Pi and the other at the Hub. With the next release of rooExtend coming end of Sept. there will be a switch to hide the license manager till the next boot meaning: No more “useless” Roon Extensions any more :wink:

3 Likes

I have a DAC (Hidizs S9 Pro) that doesn’t work properly with RooPlay. When adjusting the volume the DAC goes to maximum volume at 42 and then goes back to normal at 43, 44, etc.

I’m told this is an issue with alsamixer where all devices are set to 42 and if I change them it will solve my problem.

Do we have access to Rooextend via SSH server. If not, any chance this can be changed by @DrCWO

Thanks!

With a little help from @DrCWO it looks like I’ve solved my problem.

Via terminal I accessed the alsamixer ("alsamixer -c 1) and opened the volume control for the S9 Pro (F6). PCM 1 volume was set to 42. I raised it to 100 (0db) and the volume issue is no longer.

I think this is a S9 Pro problem because I didn’t have it with other DACs and had the same problem with the S9 Pro and RopieeeXL.

1 Like

A visit at Senic in Berlin with some interesting news…

rooNuimo – best Roon controller ever - Audio Gear Talk - Roon Labs Community

Best DrCWO

2 Likes

I’m currently running rooUPnP 1.4.1. It works very well on my first generation Pi. I’ve tried to update to 2.0.2 today but been stymied by the need to have the licence key on a USB stick, which I don’t seem to be able to achieve from 1.4.1.

A couple of questions:

1. All my current UPnP players work well with 1.4.1. Is it worth updating to 2.0.2?

2. If I should upgrade, how do I migrate the licence key from 1.4.1 to 2.0.2?

Have your licence key ready and flash the SD card with the new version. Upon setup you will have to enter the key and you are good to go.
I don‘t understand the usb thing.

1 Like

Yes, I did that and the extension works fine. But I was wondering about the key saving functionality described in the initial announcement:

“By inserting a formatted USB stick into the Raspberry Pi, the license keys are automatically saved in a file on the USB stick.”

Maybe the ExFAT format I like to use isn’t the right choice?