Room correction using your iPhone and HouseCurve

The raw measurement data thats used to create the curve.

I took a few measurements today and created/exported some correction files to try (haven’t had a chance to try them yet). I’m curious to hear the difference when I get a chance. My uncorrected response (gray line) wasn’t too bad.:+1:

The app is pretty simple to use (thankfully!). The main pain is getting the correction files from my iPhone into Roon since Roon doesn’t allow importing filters from phones/tablets. :roll_eyes:

From my iPhone, I had to export the correction filter to my iCloud Folder, then email the file to myself, retrieve the email on my Windows PC, save the correction file to my PC, then go into Roon to add the correction file. What a pain! I rarely use my PC since Roon core is on my Salkstream III streamer which I control with my iPad/iPhone. The only time I use my PC is when ripping CDs to add to my library. At least Roon should allow us to add the correction files to a drive accessible from Roon and let us access them using our tablets/phones. As it stands now, the process is like going around your elbow to get to your behind. :confounded:

Hello. This could be your cure.

2 Likes

Thank you for the suggestion. :slightly_smiling_face:

Now that you mention it, I think I have iCloud on my PC. That would at least eliminate the email step. However, what I’d really like is to not have to use the PC at all.

(PS - Am I correct your name is Turkish?)

Not only my name, so am I🕺🏻

1 Like

Cool. :sunglasses: We lived in Ankara in the 70s. :+1:

Cool:) I hope you visited Istanbul a few times.

1 Like

Yes, been there multiple times, as well as Izmir, Side, Marmaris, Bodrum, etc. :grinning::+1:

I miss the food!:stuck_out_tongue:

Wow, you’ve been around.:man_dancing:t2:Were you here for Nato?

I was a kid at the time. My father was Air Force stationed at Ankara.

On topic, I took an actual response measurement using one of the filters HouseCurve created. The results were pretty good. The curve I used is one I created (modified Harmon curve).

1 Like

Hello,
I summed my 2 subwoofers into my mains’ low end. EQ’ed. Sounds good/ok .Good enough for electronic music :slight_smile: Maybe I’ll get better results if I separate R and L.

2 Likes

Thanks, Greg Wilding - I’ll definitely check it out!

1 Like

Hi,

I’m new to room correction and DSP in general and I used HouseCurve to make adjustments for my room. Easy to use and I’m pleased with the overal result, especially for my bass reproduction. However, sometimes the red clipping indicator shows up, although distortion is not really obvious when it occurs. I already set my headroom adjustment to -5dB. My question is, if I further increase the adjustment to e.g. -8 or even -10 dB, will that in any way negatively influence the overall sound and dynamics? Or should I just compensate using the volume?
Suggestions are appreciated!

Gerard

Since gain reduction must occur before any DSP operations introduce clipping, the only way is to further lower the headroom adjustment.

But don’t worry about resolution, dynamics, or whatever, since those calculations are done with 64 bit precision.
That’s a total range of 384dB (6dB/bit) and when using 24 bit source material, you’re still left with 240dB of “headroom”.

1 Like

Thank you for the clear explanation, Marin. I’ll give it a try!

Hello,
Is there a way to import house curve text file for a manson fletcher curve? I’d like to have an extra conv. Filter for late night listening. Any tips?
Thank you.

I guess you could design a curve with more bass for use at low volumes? Essentially average your target curve with a Fletcher-Munson contour. Load that into HouseCurve and redo the filter generation. It would probably take a few tries to find the right curve.

As an experiment, you could try one of the “car” curves included with the app. They all have a bass peak already and maybe that’s close enough?

If I understand you correctly, I’d have to trial and error with db values in the Curve text file? Or with Manuel “Target Curve Fit”
The sweeps would need to be made with my set/default house curves active I assume? Or would I need to make a fresh sweep for the Manson Fletchers curve, with all eq off?
I’ll try the car curves, great tip.
Thank you

Yes, change the curve’s dB values by editing the file. I would try the car curves first though.

When creating new filters, you can use your original measurements. Just switch to the new target curve and export filters. If you have to redo measurements, make sure the EQ is off.

got it. thank you

1 Like