rooMax – Best wireless Roon remote ever!

Thank you very much :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

Thank you René. Will do when I get a chance.

2 Likes

Should work but I’m not completely sure about the USB of the Holo Red. With rooADI there was a real time issue during USB playback and control of the ADI-2/4 DAC reported by one of my customers.

Nevertheless I would give it a try. If it works it will be a very cool solution. In this case the Quick Keys plus rooExtend SD-Card image plus rooMax license will be sufficient.

Best DrCWO

Quick, probably silly, question. Can this work controlling roon running on a mac streaming to a PS Audio Dac? Thanks.

Sure it will. rooMax is independent of the used Core and Streamer.
But you have to get an additional Raspberry Pi4 or ZeroW2 to make it run. See more details here.

Best DrCWO

1 Like

and just so you know it can also work with the same zones that other rooextend remotes work on so if have multiple lic instances they can all point to the same zone and will sho the same settings if they have a display function. I use a nuimo and a max on my lumin and also have ropieee display with the same zone that can also adjust volume play pause etc. all 3 interoperate no issues.

2 Likes

Can you install rooMax on a Ropieee endpoint? That would be great, because I already have one, with a display, streaming to an external USB DAC, and why buy a whole nother Pi4, case, PSU to just run the software to connect the remote? But think that won’t work if I understand you correctly. But might as well ask. =)

@DrCWO is there a way I could support creating a Docker container out of your application? For me Room runs in a container image beside many other applications. We could use the same approach where the application would not be distributed with the container, instead your application could be pulled from a server or GitHub release Page when starting up (first time startup). I’ve done similar things as part of my job. And if it would make things easier - German is my mother tongue. :smiley:

It would if I could :wink:
I asked the maintainer of Ropieee for integration of the rooExtend Roon Extension into Ropieee some time ago and he denied. So ask him maybe he changed his mind…

So I’m sorry but my answer is NO :cold_sweat:

Get an old Pi3 it will be sufficient.

Best DrCWO

Answered by PM

Yeah I even have some Pi3 laying about. :wink:
Will give it a try.

1 Like

Some few guys reported an issue with PI3 and BT. But if you like to run rooMax with the USB wireless dongle it should be fine :+1:

Best DrCWO

Right, indeed, Pi4 ist much improved, also pertaining to WiFi and Ethernet, and doesn’t cost much these days (compared to a year ago). Might as well get one.
I have a Pi5 8GB as well, but that is overkill. =) =)

The supported image is NOT compatible with PI5!!

Can I get that PM answer as well? I currently run roon on docker and rheos in docker (among a few other things for music) - I am running the rooDial on a rasppii - if rooMax uses wifi vs bluetooth then i suspect it could run as an image in a macvlan?

kind regards,
patrick

Really enjoying the functionality of rooMax so far. Thanks so much for developing it. Is there a way to create an option to keep shuffle activated across playlists? It would be great to choose shuffled playlists without having to go back to the shuffle button each time.

1 Like

Just activate the roomax on the same rpi as roodial and plug in the hardware dongle to communicate with the max dial and buttons

This is Roon :cold_sweat:
Disables shuffle if you start a new playlist. I guess you have to live with this second click on the shuffle button.

1 Like

Sent you an invite but communication is in German…

Thank you for confirming. I had a feeling it might be a Roon limitation