Roon 1.2 Feedback Thread

1.2 installed flawlessly, and works flawlessly, and is awesome.
I’m so used to that, I wasn’t going to write anything, but anyway – great work.

3 Likes

Everything installed with ease. In reviewing the 1.2 software changes, the first heading which covers “NEW Audio Functionality” states all connected outputs use RAAT technology. Does this include Ethernet and wi-fi connected AIrPlay and Squeezeplay devices?

No–that’s what the word “connected” was meant to distinguish.

Outputs that are connected to Roon, RoonBridge, or RoonServer use RAAT. RoonReady devices also use RAAT (but they did before, too…).

Motorola Moto G3 2gb ram version runs Roon perfectly along with everything else I can conceive of on a phone. £160 Amazon. FYI

Did anyone try using two PCs or macs and install server on one machine and bridge on another? I wonder if there is any SQ improvement in doing so.

2 posts were split to a new topic: High-res on RPi3 HDMI

Roon, I :heart: you!

3 Likes

Great to use Internet Radio now. But there is room for improvement :wink: … especially if I compare it to my Sonos Multiroom System.
BUT: I’M VERY HAPPY WITH ROON!!!

And: my very first contact with roon las year during the High End Munich … outside of the fair area. By the way: Are you this year representet on the High End in Munich?

Good job you guys did with Roon 1.2, Like the Linux version a lot, good soundquality. Still, I can’t change the value of the Resync Delay and Buffer Size of my ALSA device, after I saved the changes the value returns to the default settings. Any ideas? Thanks

Hi Andy,

Good question. I wanted to ask the same question to everyone.

Thanks

Frans

Andy/ Frans

I do.

I used to have a Roon Core directly connected to an exasound dac on a mac mini with v1.1. Now I have the core on a linux box, the dac is still connected to the mac mini which is now a Roon Bridge.

Is it any better? Yes it is, but that might be just because I’ve upgraded to v1.2 and can now use the exasound asio drivers as opposed to Apple’s core audio.

YMMV though.

Paul

I just tried two computers.

Inky blackness!!! Oh my god!!!

1 Like

Surely you would get the same effect, but more so, by simply using a dedicated LAN endpoint rather than having a.n.other full-sized computer be the endpoint.

1 Like

What a great and substantial software update. You must have been working your socks off. I wasn’t sure about committing to Roon but your man persuaded me to take the plunge as the new update would answer many of my queries. So glad I did. I’m now filling my Internet radio box with some great sounding URLs, including my beloved BBC Radio 3. You are creating something very special.
Well done!!

2 Likes

What are my options for a dedicated LAN endpoint?

A post was split to a new topic: No outputs on Windows 10 Remote

Thanks Paul!

And hi Andy,

Here I am again with a simmple question: what did you use for this configuration?
MacMini’s, Raspberry Pi (3?), I have two Mini’s so I can try it with them.
How did you connect them?

Thanks!

Frans

Hi,

I use a windows pc running roon server, a macbook pro running roon bridge connected to a dac, and an ipad air running roon remote.

The music files are stored on a synology NAS.

Hi Andy,

I’m going to try that tomorrow when I’m free.
Did you connect the two computers with usb or with ethernet?

Frans

"It’s also a long-running service that needs to do networking (discovery, connection mgmt) in the background–which isn’t totally in line with the limitations Microsoft put in their Windows App stuff either.

Annoying response, right? These guys with their locked down platforms are really ruining all of the fun…we’d love to support it if it were tractable."

I find this explanation lacking. Every single streaming service’s iOS app manages to play in the background just fine. How can it be Apple’s fault and not yours, if Roon can’t?

Besides that, congrats on 1.2! Looks like a great release.