Roon 1.2 when is it coming out?

It would be nice to know when the 1.2 will be out.

It’s coming out when it’s ready. :smile:

3 Likes

Fixing dates for releases really doesn’t work. It creates expectations and pressures which can quickly become unreasonable and affect the quality of the product. Developers end up spending more time revising timetables and explaining them than they do developing. Users set stopwatches and complain bitterly when estimates aren’t met. If a release is rushed the avalanche of support required to deal with bugs delays further development. Release dates sound attractive to users, but it’s not good for anyone in practice.

One thing you can be sure of, the developers are not sitting on a back porch sipping whisky and whittling while admiring a fully tested, ready to roll but yet to be released Roon 1.2. When it’s ready, it’s released and the devs are just as keen to get it out as we are to get it.

10 Likes

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: that was very good thanks.

It should also be noted that Roon is a business. And while the team has been dry forthright with subscribers, if Roon were in negotiations to sell, or if there was a fatal flaw in what we call version 1.2 that meant it will never be released, we would not know and be getting the same responses re timetables.

Welcome to software development and free enterprise.

The only fatal flaw is your pessimistic and derogatory stance re the capability, ethics and intent of the Roon team.

1 Like

I am neither pessimistic nor intending to be derogatory. And I am not questioning their ethics.

We are subscribers. Not shareholders or investors or business partners. We have paid for a service and are being provided that service. I am content with that and feel the Roon team has met their obligations to me as a subscriber. I am fine no matter what the future brings. I may or may not be a subscriber in the future. But right now I am completely satisfied with the product I paid for nine or ten months ago.

Their primary ethical responsibility is to themselves and to their investors/financial partners. That is reality. Any other interpretation is conjecture.

The question was so simple since I can’t or won’t get an answer no problem I think I can live with or without that. Thanks anyways.

The latest update dates from feb 03. I’ve read that 1.2 is “coming soon” a lot lately…

When you look at the release notes page you can clearly see that this update is taking far longer then usual.

1 Like

I’m not worried about it. Roon is a better product today than it was when I subscribed. It will either come into being or it won’t.

Yes Stevev1, That’s what I’ve been thinking too. Just short of two months since the last update.

But for me, Roon is fine right now. It’s doing everything it promised to do when I subscribed and more.

It’s not just fine… It’s fantastic :grinning:
I trust this will be a great update. Just a bit curious why it’s taking so long.

[quote=“stevev1, post:12, topic:9078”]
Just a bit curious why it’s taking so long.
[/quote]simple really, there’s a lot in it and therefore a lot to thoroughly test prior to release.

1 Like

are you guessing or are you testing it?

Testing…

good to know :grinning:

On the other hand, while we are whittling, we can do our share and open up a decent scotch while listening to the, barely scraping by, soon to be depricated, precursor to Roon awesomeness. Its a dirty job…

5 Likes

Andy, you aren’t by any chance, a closet songwriter, are you? There’s so much to appreciate in that paragraph. :grin:

1 Like

Well, hopefully they will be after its released :smiley: Maybe more of the whisky and less of the whittling but, who knows, maybe not - the Roon team could be Olympic level whittlers for all we know.

@andybob and @Ludwig were spot on…we’re working hard on this release. It’s coming. We make the decision to release when we judge it to be ready.

When you look at the release notes page you can clearly see that this update is taking far longer then usual.

Ahead of a major release, we turn down the pace on minor releases. This is because each minor release “costs” us ~3-4 days of schedule, so if we’re doing one every 7-10 days like in January or September/October, we’re moving at half-speed or worse on the “big stuff”.

The latency between the last 1.0 release (build 29) and 1.1 was Jun 18 -> Aug 25, or a bit over 9 weeks. We’re not at 9 weeks yet, and 1.2 is a much larger release than 1.1 was.

(build 30 was an “out of cycle” release to sync up with TIDAL API changes, so its timing isn’t indicative of our pace in any way)

if Roon were in negotiations to sell, or if there was a fatal flaw in what we call version 1.2 that meant it will never be released, we would not know and be getting the same responses re timetables.
…
Their primary ethical responsibility is to themselves and to their investors/financial partners.

While I understand (and agree in general that that is a sane way to view start-up companies), that view doesn’t match our current reality:

• We are self-funded and don’t answer to outside investors or financial partners.
  • We are not currently involved in negotiations to sell the company, and company matters have not been a factor in the timing of this release.
  • Enough of 1.2 is “in the bag” at this point that if something major went wrong, we would solve it by delaying individual features instead of altering the overall release timeline.

Maybe more of the whisky and less of the whittling but, who knows, maybe not - the Roon team could be Olympic level whittlers for all we know.

More of a cabinetmaker, myself…but I know better than to mix sharp tools and whiskey. You can really screw up your project that way :smile:

4 Likes