Roon 1.3 : Top Priorities

No, I disagree.

1 Like

or maybe until summer:relaxed:

Joel has already made it clear that MQA decoding is not likley to come with the initial release of 1.3 so seems like they are not holding up 1.3 for that.

I have also seen a comment about Alpha builds of 1.3. That usually refers to internal testing before wider beta testing with a limited user group. From that sounds like 1.3 is still a few weeks away.

I’m sure the Roon team is as keen to get 1.3 done as we are to see it. Let’s just leave them to get on with it and stop the endless prompts and requests for additional features and priorities and information - which btw is likely a waste of time given that by Alpha testing all major program features should be locked in.

4 Likes

I’d agree with those above who feel that MQA can wait until a ‘maintenance’ update once 1.3 has been released. I’d put a higher priority on features such as parametric EQ.

I also think that Sonos integration would open up Roon to a large hardware base and could, therefore, significantly increase the number of Roon users. This would, in turn, generate more income and enable additional features to be added in future.

5 Likes

These are already planned to be in 1.3

1 Like

The capacity to use Roon to stream computer output to my sound system.

In the same way that Roon can stream from internet radio, having it stream from my computer output.

This morning I spent my breakfast browsing music websites, all of which had sample streaming files. I really wished I could pipe these from my MacBook Pro, which is also one of my Roon remotes, to my roon server, and on to my good speakers (or any other roon zone).

I can imagine this happening from within Roon to. Already, when Roon supplies rich music info, it sometimes points you to websites about artists. Why not be able to follow the link to the website and then be able to click on the audio file there and have it sent to your audio system through the Roon server?

(The only discussion of this that comes up obviously on a search of the Roon community forum is here:
Roon as an output channel for other sources? Ugh, but maybe There are no recent comments on it apart from the one I just posted and link to here).

This is similar to an idea I’ve had:

I would love to be able to add tracks to Roon’s queue as I browse in Chrome/Safari/Explorer. I envision it as doing a right-click on a link then selecting “Add to Roon Queue” as an option. Tracks that are from Soundcloud, Audio from YouTube clips, etc get added to the queue and play.

I know there’s a big issue with these tracks being lower bitrate, etc. But I hate having to pause Roon just to listen to something from another source.
I imagine this would take some serious programming so it’s okay to add to the next thread: Roon 1.4 : Top Priorities. :grinning:

1 Like

Hi all,

Does anybody know if convolving (like in HQ Player) will be possible in Roon 1.3?

Thx and greetings

Christian

Yes it will.

Uuuuuaaaahhhhh…

Great news :wink:

Thx and greets

Christian

5 posts were split to a new topic: MQA and DSP Processing

A bunch of things here…
1- Adding stuff to Roon
I use TIDAL and favorite albums as I see them when browsing, which adds them as albums in Roon. I don’t understand how you envision a right click - how would you search for the album and or song?
2- Soundhound/Shazam
I use this and add songs to my Spotify playlist. Then every now and then I run Soundiiz to replicate the playlist to TIDAL. It would be great to integrate TIDAL into either Soundhound/Shazam, but I don’t expect that to happen soon.

Most of the time when I’m at my computer, reading news, this forum, or paying bills, Roon is playing my collection. Often I will read a review of an album that contains a link to a sample track to that album. I want to listen to it but I also would like to listen to it when what I am listening to in Roon has finished.

What I’m talking about is - I think - an extension/plug-in to a browser like Safari, Explorer, or Chrome. This feature puts an option on the right-click menu that says “Add To Roon Queue.”

So when I’m browsing the internet outside of Roon or Tidal and I read about an album review, for instance, and there’s a SoundCloud link to a song, I would be able to right-click it and add that song to the Roon Queue, to be played when it comes up. Meanwhile I can continue reading, moving onto other news/reviews/threads.

Youtube videos, NPR First Listens, any link to an audio file playback. Not links to continuous streams like Internet radio but distinct tracks. Could be a podcast link too.

When Roon encounters the link in the queue, it plays it. Perhaps displaying some info about where it came from and any other data it can derive. It doesn’t get added to the library and only gets memorialized in Roon’s history.

This is a convenience feature and certainly not a must-have. Yet I think it would improve my listening experience when working at my computer while listening to Roon. I hope I have explained this a little better. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Understand what you want. Couple of questions:
1- How do you get from a song in SoundCloud to a song that either exists in TIDAL or your library? Also keep in mind that a lot in SoundCloud is in SoundCloud only.
2- In the general case, you will have to do some searching, a-la Sounhound or Shazam if there is no TIDAL link.

What you’re asking is both highly non-trivial and frankly, in my opinion, not top priority.

I think you are jumping to a solution of having to match something in Tidal for it to be playable as it’s the only streaming source in Roon. I’m quite certain his request has nothing to do with Tidal. @dbtom2 wants the ability to add any internet streamable content to the queue. It would be more similar to streaming radio but with finite play time and moves to the next item in the queue.

2 Likes

Ok I see. [quote=“DrTone, post:394, topic:9534”]
I think you are jumping to a solution of having to match something in Tidal for it to be playable as it’s the only streaming source in Roon. I’m quite certain his request has nothing to do with Tidal. @dbtom2 wants the ability to add any internet streamable content to the queue. It would be more similar to streaming radio but with finite play time and moves to the next item in the queue.
[/quote]
Def different from what I understood. However, also certainly a lot more niche as well. And requires an API (a method to talk to Roon) that is probably still non-trivial, and definitely not a general ask.

If you can copy a link then move over to Roon and paste it, I would deem that good enough. My opinion.

If it’s likely that convolution will be in Roon 1.3, does anyone know if it’s going to be RoonBridge specific? i.e., different convolution filters for different RoonBridges in different rooms? Thanks.

Yes, the new DSP features are all per-device.

2 Likes

Per device as per RoonBridge or per device as per multiple output devices (DACs, HATs) connected to RoonBridge?

I’ll go out on a limb and say it’s for sure physical output device not the whole bridge. You would never want to be forced to assign headphone cross-feed to your computer and have that apply to your headphone dac and your stereo dac.