Roon 1.4 Feedback

My thoughts exactly. I now can’t tell the difference(SQ) between Roon 1.4 and Audirvana Plus. Roon 1.4 has a subtle but noticeable (my ears/equipment) improvement. I’m just in a happy place now. I do feel for those who may have noticed a SQ degradation. There is a gentleman on ComputerAudiophile who was complaining about 1.4 SQ, but he did graciously note in a later thread that he has been making other changes to his system so that could be his pain-point on SQ.

The few that are having SQ issues, I’d keep posting as the team at Roon and lots of knowledgable and friendly folks here will try to get you sorted out. It’s a really nice community here IMHO

4 Likes

Well said and I wish I had added this part. My observations and experiences aren’t an attempt to shut down any opposing observations and experiences.

Keep the feedback coming. It’s both positive and negative experiences and this feedback that’s gotten Roon to where it is today.

4 Likes

Hi Krutsch, in my case with BDP-1 I did benefit from 1.4.

I do know that you are using the latest Bryston’s latest MPD, whereas I haven’t changed my BDP-1 since the summer:

S2.34 2017-06-20
Build: Manic Moose
MPD: 0.19.21 NEWS
Kernel: 3.16-0.bpo.2-486

Maybe that could have something to do with that?

EDIT: While my comment was about 1.4 improving over the previous Roon version, I now went back and compared 1.4 against MPD (which I haven’t touched for over a month). I put a couple of albums on a flash drive directly plugged into BDP-1’s USB port to compare against Roon via ethernet (w/ attention given to the network chain)

Roon on the current chain made MPD sound like VLC. Across the board beatdown on both the Amphions and Audeze’s (LCD-2C). Zero preference given to MPD in any sonic category. I was not expecting MPD to have fallen this behind.

3 Likes

Used to happen on the Slimdevices forums every time a new version of LMS appeared.

I think they released a version where just the version number had been updated and people still reported hearing SQ differences.

8 Likes

Sound quality posts are part and parcel on software player forums.

One person finds a change veiled and the next guy finds it harsh with over extended highs and others finds it an overall improvment. An unfixable problem.

One piece of advice I can give is: Don’t use Roon if you use music to listen to your system instead of your system to listen to music, you will never be able to easily roll back versions of Roon without keeping the physical installers and restoring backups.

6 Likes

I noticed a difference in sound quality before I saw any reports of it so had no expectation bias. In my case it seems to be for the better (straight to DAC then headphones). The music seems to be more open, dynamic, and crisp. However, I could see how this crispness may not match well to a particular setup. Again, in my case, it pairs well with my DAC/headphones but I could see how a speaker system that was optimally paired to the previous version may sound suboptimized now.

2 Likes

Happy with the UI improvements. Great product. Thank you!

Yes. I don’t know what to say. But I hear what I hear. I am back to MPD, for now (though I am using Roon on my laptop at work with a Sony PHA-3).

One thing I’ve experienced over the years: what I’ve been listening to the most, tends to sound the best.

Whatever… I am a Roon convert and am by no means changing anything, but I am a critical listener with headphones and I know what I like. And for now, I like MPD out of the Bryston appliance.

Warm thanks for the Christmas update! Volume limiting comes in very nicely in my mixed environment.

I found one bug. When setting lower threshold on volume to 45 on one random endpoint it drops to 0 and you can’t move slider. Only when you click 45 times from 0 to 45, it behaves as it should.

“Phase 2–when we join in-library radio with the cloud” Oh, oh, oh! Does that mean, that suggestion will grab Tidal songs I have not yet added to my library? Sound awsome!

@support, please check this out.

Yes! Hard problem, but the work is well underway.

5 Likes

still getting familiar with 1.4. however when playing through ipad, i’ve noticed that the sound output sometimes fails even though it seems like the music is playing. i have to force quit and restart the app for the music to play again. this happens each time i’ve tried to play through the ipad. not sure if it is related to tidal as a source vs music stored on the core and also do not know if this happens when the wifi signal is weak — i have not had enough time to test.

but i am very glad to have this feature and look forward to when we be able to access our music remotely as well.

Are you browsing on your iPad when listening ? Sometimes web pages have ads with sound that will boot Roon from the audio device. Sometimes iOS seems to decide that we don’t want to listen anymore and stops play after a short fade.

I’d prefer iOS to allow us to give exclusive use of the audio device to a music app, like Roon.

3 Likes

I think that’s one of the causes of my problems while using my iPad as an endpoint too (even with iPeng, although again, less frequent and obtrusive).

I agree about the zone transfer icon. It should be located with the other zone setting. Makes more sense at least to me.

I also think the new zone pop up window is great but why not have have the group zone abillity in that same window instead of having to open up yet anaother window. It seems like there is an unnesesary click to open group zone settings.

BTW, I love the 1.4 update:)

This does not work for me with an iPhone 6s. Bummer. I have the Jackery 10500 mAH battery pack and that did not work.

I tried even plugging in the camera adapter to the wall but i still get an error message on the iPhone that the Explorer2 requires too much power. I will try it with an iPad next.

I was hopeful to get a portable MQA solution with an iOS Roon endpoint.

I get MQA via Roon Tidal from iPad Pro with USB3 Camera kit and Explorer 2. I use mains power though.

We looked at this. It’s actually designed behavior. We can’t 100% guarantee that devices don’t go beyond the ranges set in Roon because they often have their own volume control interface that’s unaware of our limits. When the volume is out of the Roon range, the correct number is shown, but the slider is pegged to the min/max position, and you can use the buttons to adjust it back in bounds.

The reason why the slider must be disabled even on the “minimum” side is to avoid making large rapid jumps in volume–a central design goal of these changes.

@RobOK — Get an Audioquest Dragonfly Red DAC. It will power up through the iPhone camera adapter and it decodes MQA streaming from Tidal for a portable solution. I use it on my iPhone 7 Plus. JCR

1 Like

In February Chrome will default to blocking ads that don’t comply with various criteria including autoplay of sound.

no i’m not. roon is in the foreground. i have noticed that you his tends to happen at the end of an album or between sounds rather than mid-stream.