Roon 1.4 request: rethink UX for consistency and convenience

I will just say that I agree to disagree. Please don’t tell what to use, I don’t tell you what to use or not use. :slight_smile:

Agree with Tony: No one is telling you must use “Folder View” I simply just want a a way to see it. Rather than a bunch of clicks and “Focus” and dig or sort for the same info.

On another note, you guys take this too seriously and need other hobbies. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I actually enjoy the intelligent and constructive debate here…maybe people take this too seriously, but that makes it even more interesting. Imagine how dead this place would be without passion…
so as long as it is kept civil, it is really both instructive and hopefully useful feedback for the product team reading along.

1 Like

Agree Miles!

Not a criticism. Just an observation to try and understand your point of view.

To me, the whole point with Roon is that it is not like other players. I had become so used to the folder systems, but when Roon was released it became quite clear to me that this was a way out of the bonds of the overly structured folder system. There is this wonderful freedom about using Roon that the other players do not provide, at least, not intuitively.

Why do you want to keep the folder system?

I guess I am old lazy IT guy that’s use to finding things by folder/file structure rather than pretty little pictures. I may have 2-4 versions of an album and don’t want to look through all the places to sort/find/focus etc…I just want to go to my 24bit folder scroll down to Milli Vanilli and play…LOL Then I have some DSD files that are hard to find because of the no metadata and show up under Various artist and play as 1 full track.

So in my logic it’s easier for me to say “oh I know where that is” and just browse down to the file and click “Play”

Or you could create a bookmark…

First focus – say on 24/192 content

Then create a bookmark:

Then access it any time you want:

This works regardless of whether or not Roon has identified the content.

Granted I have no horse in the folder view race, but there are some incredibly powerful features within Roon that make finding content very, very easy. It does require a little bit of work up front, but no more work than maintaining a complex directory structure.

And that’s what I’ve been doing and times it seems a little cumbersome. I won’t complain and will still use Roon, I just wanted this as an option along with the other views.

Now, I’m pushing close to 9k albums in my collection and 6TB worth so it get’s a little hard sometimes finding exactly what I want.

Huh. For me, it is easier (and more realistic) to say, “oh I don’t know where that is”, and ask for help searching. :slight_smile:

Seriously: I was talking with my son yesterday about the 1969 movie Figures in a Landscape (great movie, you should see it). I mentioned that after I saw it, i bought the novel it was based on. It is in my library, but sorted on the author, and I don’t recall the name. And of course I don’t have a cross catalog, I’m not a librarian. So I can’t find it in my library. But I can easily find it in Wikipedia, which tells me the author name, so I can find it in my own library. That’s the embarrassing thing, when it is easier to find something on the internet than in my own room. Or on my own disk, the modern equivalent of a room. That’s why informal search is so important.

(See also this thread: A couple of search questions for classical music (part 1) )

5 Likes

If you haven’t read over this, it’s worth a read for these kinds of use cases.

For me, it would be easier to just type M-I-L in the album browser and know I’m clicking on my preferred copy. And if I want an alternate copy, that’s also just 2 clicks away once I’m on the album screen.

Hopefully I’ve explained that clearly, but if not, I’ll just blame it on the rain :wink:

For me, UI efficiency and consistency are the two areas that I would like to see addressed. I also wouldn’t mind some options under settings for user-defined actions (e.g. making “Play from here” the default play behavior) to improve UI familiarity.

I took a look at Jriver’s folder view and started having iTunes flashbacks :scream: Personally I’m happy to no longer be interfacing with my music library in such a fashion, but I do get why some folks might like to have a folder view available.

1 Like

I have no wish to see a “folder view” for reasons described by others above, but I would like to see Roon’s capacity to filter Albums/Tracks by folder extended.

At the moment we can filter by storage location (Focus/Inspector/Storage Location) but folder selection is limited to the folders defined as storage location in Roon. I would like users to be able to filter by sub-folders within those. That would make it much easier for users to create bookmarks or tags replicating existing folder structure. The view is still of Albums, not a list of directories, but the added flexibility would enable users with longstanding metadata practices to more readily import their structures into Roon.

4 Likes

This does help! Funny

HA - that was funny.

A very big +1. Would be very helpfull indeed