Roon 1.5 Feedback Thread

3 posts were split to a new topic: Roon 1.5 Linn integration: remote control presses?

Thank you. I will have a look at the duplicates once I get back homeā€¦

1 Like

Also I think the other half is not going to understand why when she searches now there can be up to 3 versions of the same album.

Just a heads up, since weā€™ve been having to do a fair amount of moderation to keep this thread on topic.

This thread is for feedback about Roon 1.5, not the place to debate the merits of MQA as a format, discuss how MQA sounds, etc.

There are plenty of other threads on this site where the merits of MQA are being discussed in isolationā€“if thatā€™s the discussion youā€™re looking for, please take it somewhere else.

3 Likes

This is understood but can/should some MQA signal info still be carried through, in order to show ā€˜MQBā€™ on the Pro-Ject S2 DAC, even after Roon up-sampling?

Like this chap described yesterday:

No rendering instructions required after up-sampling obviously.

@brian Thanks for your help. One follow up regarding DSP settings.

On my Roon settings page my DSP engine is enabled. All the settings below it, the ā€œDSP Presetsā€ are disabled.

You wrote:

You donā€™t have to worry about the details unless you are trying to get a really specific outcome that is not in the category of ā€œthe way most people would want it to workā€. A lot of effort/thought has gone into taking MQA (a very complex product/idea) and removing the need to understand it top to bottom in order to just listen to music.

With that in mind ā€“ because I DONā€™T want to worry about the details ā€“ are these Roon settings on my Meridian Explorer 2 DAC the ones I need?

No. Thatā€™s not possible

I suspect that he was mistaken, and that a screenshot of the signal path would tell the truth.

Thereā€™s nothing wrong with your settings, but Iā€™m uncomfortable saying they are ā€œthe ones you needā€ because people will interpret that as a recommendation. You should be able to configure DSP however you like. If you have some, Roon will do the right thing. If you have it all turned off, it will do the right thing then too.

2 Likes

Cool bananas, all good. Iā€™ll ask him for some screenshots. It may (or not) help my old man sleep better at night.

Understood. Let me pose it another way. With my DSP enabled but all the DSP presets disabled will Roon give me any of the benefits of DSP?

Noā€“this is what I was trying to explain before. All that switch does is act as an extra bypass on the filters in the list below. If all filters are turned off, then that switch is doing nothing but looking pretty.

Soā€¦to enjoy any benefits from DSP I need to enable some or all of the DSP presets?

If I understand you ā€“ VERY large ā€œifā€ I know ā€“ you are saying DSP doesnā€™t matter much to someone like me who doesnā€™t want to fool around with it, when I am listening to MQA. Because as you also said:

A lot of effort/thought has gone into taking MQA (a very complex product/idea) and removing the need to understand it top to bottom in order to just listen to music.

Butā€¦I also listen to non-MQA files. So I might want to enable DSP and use its presets to improve that listening experience. Are you saying I can do that and those settings will not interfere in any way with my getting the best MQA sound that is available through my system when I play MQA files?

Iā€™ve got to agree, setting my Project as a renderer only make a massive difference. Iā€™m thinking that my nuc core is doing a better job of deciding the mqa.

2 Likes

My feedback: I am thrilled to be able to, now at a glance, see the MQA logo in both the Album and Artist views. No longer will I have to go through the process of copy and pasting from the Meridian MQA spreadsheet into the search function within Roon, selecting 3 or 4 album covers before finding the MQA version, then tagging it as ā€œMQAā€.
I did however get up to 607 tagged MQA albums.

Wonderful work guys, much appreciated!

2 Likes

The answer to that depends more on your personal biases than on the technical details of Roon.

Whatever DSP settings that you select will be applied appropriately in both situations. For example, upsampling MQA doesnā€™t make sense when a renderer is at the end of the chain, so we donā€™t do it, but itā€™s possible for EQ, Room Correction, Volume Leveling, and others to be combined with MQA freely, so we do.

This seems to directly relate to my confusion about having to set the settings to ā€˜No MQA supportā€™ in the compatibility settings, in order to get 1st unfold plus Roon up-samping working.

Maybe a red message should show up in Roon DSP settings basically explaining the settings arenā€™t in effect unless you do blah blah blah in the MQA settings.

Not an elegant Roon like solution but at least may prevent the confusion?

Iā€™m sure thereā€™s an elegant and intuitive solution somewhere.

Just wanted to say thanks. MQA sounding good, loving versions, FLAC radio awesome (pity about RP, but im sure there is a solution). Great job as usual. Best software subscription experience i have ever had

6 Likes

This seems to directly relate to my confusion about having to set the settings to ā€˜No MQA supportā€™ in the compatibility settings, in order to get 1st unfold plus Roon up-samping working.

@dabassgoesboomboom where are these ā€œcompatibility settingsā€ you are referring to?

Taken from someone elseā€™s post since I canā€™t do this myself right now:

See ā€œMQA Compatibilitiesā€

You mean ā€œMQA Capabilities.ā€ Got it. Thanks.

@brian

Just to recap the experience yesterday to get MQA + Roon up-sampling working for my old man, over Team Viewer (isnā€™t technology amazing - we take so much of this stuff for granted).

Forget about my silly misunderstanding of MQB with up-sampling, that isnā€™t relevant to the below:

Step 1: The S2 DAC wasnā€™t recognised by Roon - I manually selected it (I know youā€™ll look into this).

1. After the S2 DAC was selected, Roon automatically selected ā€˜Core decoder and rendererā€™ as the default.

2. I then went to Roon DSP and enabled DSD512 up-sampling. No luck, the S2 DAC would only see 88/96kHz incoming sample rate. I now know the reasons but at the time yesterday, the reasons were not intuitive at all.

3. After much fluffing around, I randomly played with the MQA compatibility settings and randomly selected ā€˜No MQA supportedā€™. Again, at the time not intuitive, although now itā€™s clear why this is the correct solution.

This isnā€™t a complaint - just feedback.

My 70 y.o old man had 0% chance of getting this to work.

I (now) know up-sampling is a special case and the number of 70 y.oā€™s doing Roon MQA + DSD up-sampling might be extremely low for Roon not to really care - thatā€™s ok too. Roon know me well enough from our communications to know this is just very respectful feedback.

I personally enjoyed the challenge of getting it to work (I know, thatā€™s sad) but the old man had no chance.

Itā€™s all working now though and sounding fantastic according to him.

Keep up the continued fantastic work.

2 Likes