Roon 1.7 update for Amazon Fire (Android) Tablet Remote App

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

TEXT GOES HERE

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

TEXT GOES HERE

Description Of Issue

Updated my Roon core running on Windows 7Pro laptop to release 1.7 and now my Fire tablet with remote app release 1.6 cannot connect. Is an update for the app available from Google and if not, when will it be?TEXT GOES HERE

Which model and year of tablet?

Amazon Fire 5th generation, circa 2016, OS 5.3.6.4 installed Nov 2018.

This tablet has openGL 2 and so won’t support release 1.7.

@support, it would be great if you could introduce backwards compatibility with 1.6 so that we can continue using devices like the Fire tablet to control Roon.

Below is BlackJack’s deleted input from another topic post, which indicates I’m pretty much screwed on using my existing tablet as a Roon control device. It would be nice to know in advance what hardware capabilities are required in order for control devices to function properly with Roon. I’m contemplating returning my copy of Roon back to 1.6 so I can continue to enjoy the convenience I’ve gotten used to. How do I do that?

“We’ve always required OpenGL 3.0, but there were previously some cases where older machines may have barely squeezed by and remained working despite this requirement. Now that we are using more OpenGL 3.0 features, unfortunately, some devices with older hardware that doesn’t fully support OpenGL 3.0 will not be able to be used. You have our apology for the inconvenience.”

Downgrading

As a general rule, we do not make older versions of Roon available for download. We also strongly suggest against downgrading your installation if you have an older installer or version around.

Read the full article here.

Understand, and as mentioned previously, guess I’m SOL with the Fire tablet. Anyone who uses Microsoft Windows is well aware of the upgrade/obsolescence risks.

Hi @Bruce_Grunsten — Please see Mike’s post here for more information:

OK, thanks all - hadn’t found the other posts, but now consider myself ed-u-ma-cated, and now know what OpenGL is. Time for a new Fire tablet.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.