Roon 1.8 arrives on February 9th

Yeah, I think I recall seeing something about a billionaire classical music fan buying one of the metadata providers and failing to fix the problem by throwing money at it.

I don’t think they can be (see above). It’s something the labels themselves need to do, it’s real money (no matter how little they pay their interns), and thus it’s even more of a problem for the smaller labels (and classical). I’m afraid that the best that can be done is the army of monkeys approach, so fix what you listen to, as you go, typathing.

Editing somthing on Musicbrain(less) is a complete mess. The essence gets plastered by 90% ads. i tried once to fix something there and gave up very quickly. Taking the „monkey“ approach now.

1 Like

Brian, Thank you. That is helpful. Is there a list of what screens support label searches across TIDAL/Qobuz?

1 Like

No, Roon never support this.

Yes but only for that artist which is not what we are after really as users. We want a global label search across abums, atistrs or genre thats at the top level and works across streaming and local.

1 Like

Seems still to live up to my statement “A Music Lovers Best Friend”

1 Like

Yes that will work only as long as you click through to that artists page and it will focus across all services and local just for that artist and any other criteria you choose.

With even more data processing demands from Roon let’s hope the home networks can cope without causing another spate network problems.
Interestingly, there’s been no mention of fixes or improvements to “technical functionality” yet!

2 Likes

Bit like the composer view, a Beethoven devotee probably as one of the Complete Works editions , hence swamped and of little use

Add Bach, Mozart, Brahms to the morass and you get the picture

Composer then split by Genre would help

Hi will roon 1.8 handle Windows display scaling properly to avoid the dreaded “Resolution to low” on 4k and 2k displays using the default scaling options? I tried all compatibility options on my daugthers thinkpad yoga with 2560 x 1440 display and default 200% scaling and latest 1.7 only runs in fullscreen mode. No I will not change any system wide scaling option for one misbehaving application, however read in another thread that scaling can be a startup option… Well will try that…

1 Like

I’m curious if version 1.8 will address the issue with the playback issues on some 192khz 4 channel files…

May I ask what downside(s) you have experienced with Rosetta on your M1?
(Specifically with Roon, of course…not intending to derail the OP)

If they fix box set handling and this issue, Roon will be near perfect for me. Such a drag having to strain to read Roon from 10 ft away on my 4K TV.

Ever since the announcement, every time I use Roon it seems very old!

Love the new look, cannot wait to dive in and happy for every small improvement.

5 Likes

When is it going to be released on the 9th, GMT + 1? Should I install the new version of the iPad app before upgrading?

1 Like

That’s a good question, I presume we will get some guidance.

Personally I wouldn’t update the app until I have updated the core and for such a big update I can’t imagine old app will work with new core or visa versa.

.sjb

Always upgrade ios/android apps FIRST, when a major update like this comes around.

We will send out an email to everyone very soon reminding them of this fact.

It’ll happen when everyone is “ready” to go that date… no promises of time… even the 9th date wasn’t supposed to get out as it can always change… (but yah, the press leaked it)

5 Likes

What if there’s a need to delay the upgrade for some reason and the iOS apps update automatically upon release? Will they still work with a 1.7 core? @danny

Nope. 1.8 and 1.7 are not compatible, and Apple does not allow rollback. This is a huge limitation of the Apple app ecosystem.

2 Likes

So in this scenario, the best approach would be to disable the auto-update of apps on iOS until the core can be updated, agree?