Roon 1.8 (Build 748/756/763/764) Feedback

A post was merged into an existing topic: UI Display Artifacts in 1.8 [Team Investigating]

Interestingly the new version appears to be less memory hungry than 1.7 which is a nice surprise. Also a lot snappier running on my NAS. Well done, Team!
PS: Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll get used to the new interface :wink:

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Settings not displaying properly or crashing on 1.8 [Ticket in - Workaround in thread]

Only just downloaded the update an hour ago but my first impressions are:

• New look and feel is clean a fresh. A nice improvement on an already great UI.

• The new Discover feature is awesome! It has already introduced me to some great albums I had previously missed.

6 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Settings not displaying properly or crashing on 1.8 [Ticket in - Workaround in thread]

Auto update on OSX didnā€™t work, didnā€™t work for the last 1.7 bug fix either though, may be because my core is on an M1. I had to manually download from the website and guess that it was the new version based on a different file size even though the site still had the ā€œ1.8 is coming banner upā€

In the end core OSX update and remote OSX update and iOS/android went fine though and its all working perfectly. Discovered two new artists in about 10 minutes of listening already.

Loving the look, also changed the icons on my endpoints with the new custom ones!

Wow, thereā€™s a lot to discover.

First impressions:

• Settings menu is incomplete in the desktop version (but Roon is aware of that already). I want to tweak some settings, but I guess Iā€™ll have to wait until itā€™s fixed.
  • Much better perfomance on the iOS apps, although I already had a few crashed too.
  • Portrait mode on the iPad, yay!
  • Itā€™s not possible anymore to show track numbers in the iPhone app? (That would be a bummer).
  • Great to see that itā€™s now possible to filter by bootlegs or live recordings. Lots of options for ā€˜focusā€™ in general. Have to play around with it a bit more :slight_smile:

I need some coffee nowā€¦

7 Likes

Same Issue here

All installed quickly and easily (iPhone and iPad Remote apps, plus Roon Core on NUC and Mac app used as a remote).

As for usin, so far so good. I like the new look and feel, and already took advantage of the new Valence suggestions. 1.8 seems a lot closer to realizing the vision of Roon.

Iā€™m not ready to say itā€™s a homerun, but it was worth the wait.

4 Likes

Assuming I can post in this thread even though the build installed on my machines is 753, first of all I totally love the new interface and possibilities!

On my MacBook Pro, the app crashed a few times when trying out ā€œFocusā€ to find versions of Beethovens ā€œGroƟe Fugeā€ (I use the Mac App to access a Roon Core on an Intel NUC). No crashes of the iPad version which is great to use in the new portrait mode.

I wish the ā€œFocusā€ feature had more options though. For example, looking for versions of the classic tune ā€œAinā€™t misbehavinā€™ā€ (there are hundreds"), it would be great to be able to limit the search to certain years or decades instead of only ā€œFormatā€, ā€œSourceā€, ā€œPerformersā€, ā€œComposersā€ (obviously some nonsense turns up here too), ā€œProducersā€, ā€œGenreā€ and ā€œLabelā€.

1 Like

748 my Ipad. 753 my Sonictransport.

Everything seems way snappier and responsive for me pretty much across the board. Using Win 10-based NUC + Qnap NAS with Win10, Android, and iOS clients. All working with Tidal and Qoboz (which also seem more responsive). So far so good. Looking forward to digging in more.

1 Like

Same. I really prefer a wider waveform.

The UI does seem smoother on my Mac, though, which is always nice. However, in general, it feels like the info is less dense, which Iā€™m less a fan of. Maybe itā€™s just perception, but it just feels like thereā€™s more whitespace, which Iā€™d prefer less of, and overly-large UI elements.

Other than that, I donā€™t have a ton of feedback so far. Iā€™m not really the target audience for the analytics stuff (I donā€™t really care one way or another), so the UI changes are really the biggest thing for me, I think.

5 Likes

Same for me Berry. Dutch Windows???

First impression is good!
Installation on all my Android platforms whithout any problems

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: UI display artifacts in 1.8

Already loving it. Great work Roon!

4 Likes

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: Settings issue on Roon 1.8 [Ticket in - Workaround in thread]

The update went fine on both SGC i5 and iPad.

My BIG issue is I can find nowhere to adjust the number of albums that show up on my laptop or iPad screens. I bet I am getting less than 50% off what I had in the older versions. This is a big issue for me.

11 Likes

Well I have to say the bass is tighter and more rounded, the treble has more air and vocals have less sibilance. The mid range is more forward and the frequencies are better extended. .There is definitely more bass slam and the sound is sublime.

10 Likes