Roon 1.8 (Build 748/756/763/764) Feedback

Ran most of today and last night on NUC ROCK. Mac Brook Pro, iPhone 8 and 6. No problems whatsoever. Really pleased with the new modern look.

Playing all 4 zones in the house via Roopie Rasp Pi’s and NAD M10.

All working well, subscription due next month and all for a meer £7.21 a month. Well done Roon.

I paid £2400 for the NAD and got in touch with them before Christmas about it randomly turning off once a day when Dirac was in use. They still haven’t got back to me with anything but palm off emails.

I pay £10 a month for a Cycling Video Streaming Service that updated their software and it just doesn’t work as well as the last one and have beed told to “be patient” by their tech guys as their update needs modifying to link up with my trainer.

Both the above happened a month ago so when ROON announced an update I was thinking “here we go” but all fine with the software I am paying less for. ;-).

Si

3 Likes

Unfortunately i made the Update from 1.7 to 1.8.
I have a huge library on my QNAP TVS 673 with 64 GB RAM
and with the 1.8 Version it takes a much longer time to begin
With the playing of my CDs. Unacceptable is also the crashing of
My ipad pro. There are optical changes which are not better but
Often worser than 1.7.
I cannot use " Einstellungen".if i click on it the app crashes.
Is it possible to change to the old 1.7 which is much better?
The real Problems are not solved. The identification of some CDs is not possible. If i search for a unidentified CD and type the Artist
In the field, there are maximal 25 CDs which appear, but miles Davis has made over 100 CD. I want you to list all possible CD of an artist so that i can choose the right one and identify it for the Roon library
How can i get the old Version back?

3 Likes

Audirvana & Jriver couldn’t carry Roon’s jock strap!

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more!!!
TOP TRACKS PLEEEEESE!!!

4 Likes

Classical albums always have terrible cover artwork :wink:

1 Like

Focus - poorly designed / poorly implemented / strange screen behavior

when you activate the Focus option from the top of the menu, it should have been made as a drop down box that overlay on top of whatever you are currently browsing without the need to bring the listing all the way back to the very top of the list. Since there could be many pages of Albums in one’s Library. (WINDOWS version)

This problem is worse in Android version, if you scroll down many pages in your Library Album during browsing… and try to activate Focus, it doesn’t bring you back to the top, and you can’t see the Focus options box open, you have to manually scroll all the way back to the top to even see the Focus options.

in verison 1.7, there is no such problem, the focus windows just pops up in the bottom. you scroll side ways

it just make you wonder, how the beta testing phase was done… it feels very much like we are still on a beta version with many bugs haven’t been caught.

2 Likes

Apart from some slowness which I figure is down to server overload, one anomaly I’ve noticed is the strange string of characters before my Core’s IP address:

This only seems to be on iOS, my Mac shows it as expected!

Roon is written in a cross platform environment: Xamarin. My biggest hope was for them to go native. No such luck. Quite easy to implement responsiveness. Roon 1.7 and prior were much better in this regard - also in Xamarin.

This is a result of Apple’s transition to IPV6 support. They require us to support this style of address in order to get app store approval.

1 Like

less than a second for switching pages.

Qnap TVS-682 with roon core, yamaha rx-a3050 (thank god still works even if not roon ready approved thingy), 5.2 wired setup on polk rtia9 with yamaha subs, wireless through music cast to another 5 speakers in the house. having the Qnap ffmpeg issue as well, but got the workaround (hoping it will be sorted soon).

updated to 1.8 aaaaand … all works fine! no issues, all IOS devices working well. happy happy happy! thank you guys!

just getting mad about the discography … but that’s in another topic

ROCK ON!

Thanks for the clarification!

iPad Pro with iPadOS 14.4 crash all the time if I open settings.
If you open an Album the information about associated Tags and Playlists to a song is missing. Even if you open the Tags via the 3 dots on the right side you can’t see which tags already used for a song.
If you open on the iPad the list of songs you get cracy blue fields if you activate Interpret or Album Interpret. Often the App on the iPad crashed.
I have updated first all my ios devises before I have updated my Nucleus.

1. Where did the numbering of each song go? Very difficult to find things in a long playlist.

2. If a song was added to a playlist, you could see that in the album. Now there is nothing.

3. Setting a verdict to an album can only be done on the pc? Not on my iphone anymore.

4. Even bigger fonts? So that you have to scroll scroll scroll. Make the fonts small again so that one can see more things on smaller screens.

5. Playlists - It used to have a album cover for each song besides it. Now its just text and very difficult to visually identify the songs. This is not good.

Generelly happy. But these issues need to get fixed.

1 Like

I found a workaround too (to the shuffle 5000 track limit) too.

Select all the tracks (or albums) in your library and add to a playlist. It seems to shuffle a 70k track playlist OK, albeit track skipping can be a bit sluggish.

Not ideal as obviously I dont want to have to add to that plist each time I add a new album and “selecting all” is inherently risky if one of the options when selected is “delete/ remove from library”!!!

1 Like

I also suggest you enable a hit area on the right of the bar showing playing now in order to toggle the playing now page as it was in 1.7. Dunno if I am clear. It was the case in 1.7

So far, I am pleased with 1.8, but I have a long way to go before I am comfortable with it. One issue? None of my displays, Sony and Vizio TV’s nor the display on a Chrome browser I use to display the “what’s currently playing” screen, show the 1.8 display theme. They all look just like they did in 1.7.

Is there a way to update those? Thanks!

i don’t like how the fokus feature is designed especially on phone.
i want everything customizable but i’m sure we will never get that with roon

you could at least invert this. it would make sense right? (at least for people under the age of 90)

erdztgerz

4 Likes

On other thing. When i «heart» a song, that doesnt show up either??

Haha, yeah…I tried that too…my core was froze for like 3 minutes!

This way adds them one at a time…like the pre 1.8 way of shuffling.

1 Like