Roon 1.8 (Build 748/756/763/764) Feedback

I find that some audio options which are shown to be enabled in Settings > Audio are no longer available to be used for playback. No rhyme or reason for which ones disappear as far as I can tell.

Sometimes restarting the server makes them reappear, sometimes not. Very frustrating.

I hated that horizontal scrolling. Now works as it should.

1 Like

At first sight I liked the new look&feel but on the second some things are hard to find and the UI seems less well arranged, e.g. the credits with artist pictures are difficult to overlook, I found album recommendation list better before, album description on the right better than below the album cover. How does the Focus function work now, it is just pointing to the same artist? Furthermore the Android app seems to be slower and is less responsive which is for me the biggest disappointment.
Hopefully there will be a release 1.8.1 solving these issues.

How do you get that display layout on your TV? Mine is still old style, grey and cluttered?

1 Like

With 1.8 the soundstage has definitely improved becoming both deeper and wider . Vocals are less recessed and more dynamic. There appears to be better resolution and vocals are less sibilant .

My state of the art Beats headphones have now really blossomed and Iā€™m listening to all of my ripped cdā€™s again with greater enjoyment and delight .

This is such a retrograde step it is very sad. The new layout, dead space, fonts, colors. Are you kidding me! This is amateur rubbish that does not make anything better! Why cant I scale the page for my monitor? I dont use Roon on my phone so this new format is a bust for me. Navigation and other UI changes are a huge backward step. Come on Roon, this is not good. Cannot believe I am a lifer.

6 Likes

After playing around for a while, here my feedback:

What I like:

• There is more conistency of functions between the platforms (MacOS, Android etc.)
  • Focus function now also available on Android
  • Since I use my smartphone as remote control for Roon, vertical scrolling is great

What I donā€™t like:

• Too much waste of space all over (Home, Genre, Playlists, Tracks, Albums etc.)
  • Wild design mix: circles, squares, squares with round edges, different fonts
  • Color language: blue boxes, red boxes, grey boxes, purple hearts and purple buttons? WTF?!?
  • Complicated: How do you like a track in a playlist on Android? Really cumbersome! Is this a bug?
  • Missing Playlist information of tracks. Is this track already in a playlist?
  • Some key functions are hidden in the cluttered home screen. Discover? Instead: useless graphs
  • Missing wave graph on play. This was beautiful and really useful. Why did it go?
  • Missing Album Cover of tracks in a playlist on Android. So much space wasted, but then no cover

Overall, the UI looks too oversimplified in many ways. Roon lost its beauty to me. Itā€™s now back on par with the rest of the pack. Suddenly, Qobuz does not look so bad anymoreā€¦ Beside that it has a real mobile (on the road) function since years. Guys, what did you think? :man_facepalming:

10 Likes

Iā€™d like to make ā€œDiscoverā€ my home page, or at least a large chunk of it right up topā€¦

3 Likes

Settings > Setup > Theme

1 Like

Slide the endpoints together on the year that you wantā€¦

2 Likes

Please open a Support request in the Support category of the forum, and give full details of the hardware/OS devices that you are using. This is not usual. Thanks.

Still a lot to get used to but I like it so far. The upgrade installed easily on by Synology NAS core and all the devices I use, iPhone, iPad and Macs. it seems to consume less processing power as well. I am running it with no issues on an old Mac mini (2010) which was unusable in the old version. My wife is a graphic designer, she digs the new fonts and layout. Me too. looks good on my different devices.

Would like to see ratings of albums in discography view,

This is a bug that affects some users (including me - Iā€™ve seen it happen once). Restarting the Core should fix it. Has been reported.

How do I use this functionality on Android?

It hasnā€™t. Just like in version 1.7, it is only ever displayed for local material. Streamed material never had it.

This may be another issue or perhaps itā€™s an option I just donā€™t know how to accessā€¦ but the songs I had included in my playlists used to show up as part of the TTA - title/track/artist assignment of the songsā€¦ Itā€™s now gone and I would like that info to show up again please so I donā€™t add a song twice to a playlistā€¦

thank you for 1.8.

Ah - itā€™s not in Mobiles (iOS or Android), but only in Tablets (iOS or Android) and PCs/Macsā€¦ Sorry.

Great! Thanks Geoff

Thanks Geoff, but let me rephrase. How do I see the endpoints in Roon 1.8?

At first : Roon is for playing music not for watching picturesā€¦
The sound quality is different from 1.7 version.
I am back to older version.

1 Like