Roon 1.8 (Build 748/756/763/764) Feedback

iOS app is pretty unusable for me even after the latest update. I guess there are a few gremlins to slay. Good luck, hope you have good crash reporting!

On Android smartphones, you now have to scroll in all directions. Vertically and horizontally. What can I say about that? Ah, I know: Welcome Qobuz copycat! And to copy a bad example is not something you should do…

Time for a big merger R+Q :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

The Dark theme has a grey top bar (iOS 14.4 with Roon 1.8 Build 748 and 756)… pls paint the top bar also black… (early 1.7 versions had some problems with the top bar as well)

2 Likes

Finished my update to 1.8 and part of my process was:

• update old core, backup then follow migration steps to a new server core which is completed
  • move the library location from NAS to locally stored library - to do

That last step I’m waiting for the new core to finish scanning (the upper right hand spinning wheel). It said in the migration steps to wait for that to complete. This can take a long time correct? Like many, many hours?

Album credits on Android: Huge circles that force you to scroll almost endless, then suddenly small circles (which btw are perfectly readable). Wow! Roon on Android is such a mess…

2 Likes

E[quote=“Martin_Webster, post:1405, topic:140792”]
Or you could simply move directly to 2017 with the new interface … grab the scrollbar handle and move directly yo 2017.
[/quote]

Except on my IP air2, no dates appeared as I scrolled up or down last night and still when I open an album the date added to roon is missing, it was there on all 1.7x and before.

You flagged me for criticizing your constant dismissal of every post you disagree with. Considering you “grew up” on Reddit you should be able to take a minor criticism yourself. Flag on mate!

3 Likes

No. I flagged some anon making a random jump at me for no reason and clearly OT. Did it hurt you that I didn’t care to reply so you had to be angry and reply again and now I reply?

Happy? Glad I could help.

Yeah, my wife used to be a PM for Windows localization (now she’s at Xbox Live). I told her about what happened with the settings for international and she explained the problem with her jargon in about 15 seconds. Glad they came up with a quick patch. Lesson learned.

Mine has been running really stable and updating on my devices with no issues. Much quicker too. Previously was always having to do a database reset on the ROCK. Had to do a start over again at one point when it turned out the USB stick I was using for backup got corrupted and froze everything up. Lesson learned, and now do three day rotating backups to a NAS, an external SSD drive, and a USB stick.

It’s about the header space. Not needed on a phone or tablet which translates to not needed on a desktop. I’m agreeing with you. At least in desktop view one can go to album view and stretch out but that’s about it.

1 Like

It’s there … grab the scrollbar when sorting by date added or date. This is on an iPad Air2:

Hey…my bad. And I did not do it to be happy.

1 Like

Same here, that and the janky scrolling is a poor show…

Overall, I really like the new Home page and release.

I like listening to good covers and enjoying the section “Performing the Music of…” Hope in future this can be expanded into its own section + search.

No way to manage tags at albums anymore (other than add a tag). Yet another example of removing direct action tools and stuffing functions in a hierarchy of clicks. Why? I guess it was to “clean up the screen” for more “elegant” white space?

Instead of simply clicking the Tag icon at the album and checking/unchecking tags, to correct an accidental tag at an album, I had to:

• click My Stuff
  • click Tags
  • find and click on the tag that I want to remove
  • find the album and right-click on it
  • click […]
  • click Remove From Tag
  • go back to album
  • click […]
  • click Add to Tag
  • click on the correct tag

But, hey, the screens looked sweet.

In my opinion, this update was all about Form Over Function instead of building something even more special than the fantastic 1.7.

4 Likes

Audio Zones are missing on PC. I have to restart the computer for local audio zones to reappear. This consistently happens. Close ROON, reopen it later, and have to restart computer. Audio connected to the ROCK is there and playable. But no local audio zones. Not even the PC audio itself.

And that purple…

Update…lost contact with Ropieee again…had to reboot Roon Server, and came back again. Will report to support.

Another lifetime user here with a multi-room system all built around what Roon offers. Unfortunately the use of large empty areas of space on phone, tablets, desktop etc. is retrograde to your USP which I would define as rapid, broad and deep access to music and associated content. It is a particular mistake when screen size is limited so with phones and tablets. Otherwise Roon is fabulous and I remain a fan. Just not the waste of valuable space, including loss of smaller album art. Thank you.

I’m not sure if this will help you @Jordan but I have seen a fair few users post about this issue.

There is a super fast scroll when you hold onto the scroll bar for a second or two, works on mobile and laptop/desktop clients. It shows date or letter depending on how you sort in a big purple bubble.

It’s easier to explain if you watch the video: 1.8 Fast Scroll