Roon 1.8 (Build 748/756/763/764) Feedback

Weird. Maybe because you have albums hidden (duplicates or for some other reason) which do not show up in Library?

My numbers agree, but I have chosen to display all hidden tracks/albums (General Settings).

Edit: Appears this may indeed be the cause for different numbers. I toggled to do not show hidden albums and the total number of albums in My Library is reduced.

1 Like

Is there an advantage not following standards? It is not just the UI. roon seems to be determined not to leverage standards at almost every level of the architecture. Not odd?

Not working on QNAP. Completely broken and unusable!

We canā€™t play a single song without it dropping out and losing the zone. 2-3 mins playback max. Even Radio wonā€™t play.

5+ years of flawless service, now this.

What on earth have you done?

Iā€™m with you. Iā€™m having a great time exploring music via 1.8, and I think the Roon team did a wonderful job.

A caveat, though: One of the most attractive things about Roon is that it works with near-infinite gear combinations and a huge variety of listening habitsā€¦that versatility can also work as a negative, as some folks will have gear combinations and/or listening preferences the Roon team didnā€™t envision or prioritize. To those folks: hang in there!

1 Like

Itā€™s good to see civility return to the thread. Kudos for defusing. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Oddly, star ratings for albums seem to be there under the In Their Prime section, so itā€™s a bit of a mystery why those same albums have no ratings in My Library or the Discography.

2 Likes

I search on ā€˜mozartā€™ and click on his name, Roon stalls at ā€œLoading Artistsā€ and doesnā€™t return anything. I have to close the program or end the process. Other composers and artists that I tried work ok.

Joanne could you confirm your new m1 mac connects to usb dacs with no issues. iā€™m upgrading from a late 2013 imac to a new m1 mini very soon. many thanks. Also the star ratings need putting back on the front too i think.

Apart from that looking very good.

I noticed the tick which points out an album of exceptional quality is no longer on the front cover of an album. I found this invaluable especially when exploring new artists. Please bring that feature back. Also the star ratings would be great back on the front page by the album cover.

@Jim_F What happens if you click on his name?

Try Settings > General > Customize Album Display.

I simply canā€™t abide the 1.8 visual design language. I need to take a sedative before using it now. Clearly someone thinks theyā€™ll win big by breaking as many of the usersā€™ expectations as possible in the shortest time possible.

Since you claim this visual design takes its inspiration from a museum, you might want to consider that a museumā€™s function is not to draw attention to itself, but the exhibits on display.

15 Likes

I feel that scroll bar should always be visible, or there should be a setting to always show. Optional settings are always good.

1 Like

Absolutely!

Strange, I am getting this in Composer view too and with other composers, even after rebooting my NUC+.

From my point of view, the new release has addressed several issues that had been problematic for me:

1. iOS remote devices are much snappier. I had thought that the slowness might be my core (a 2015 Mac mini). Now Iā€™m happy as a clam.

2. I like the new interface. To me the design is clean and modern. There is a learning curve, but a little self exploration yields a depth I had not previously experienced, and Iā€™ve been a Roon user since 2015.

3. Focus is more intuitive and actually usable now. I never used it before because I never pulled it up to navigate the multiple screens.

4. Classical navigation is much improved. Thanks. I realize that Roon is still dependent on content providers, but this is much improved.

5. Finally, change is hard. Thanks for having the courage to make such a substantial change. I was a Roon customer before Roon Server, RAAT and Roon OS. IMHO, this is the best Roon has been for the last couple of years in terms of its speed and usability. Iā€™m sure as I learn the software better, Iā€™ll appreciate it even more.

Thanks,
BW

7 Likes

All working great for me on various iPads, MacBook Pros, and an iPhone. Love the new look. Agree that Waveform needs to be enlargedā€” DEFINITELY! Also when you view lyrics, please add the option to enlarge text size as well. I even think everything sounds better but that be the new Lumin U1 Mini I just swapped in for my trusty Auralic Altair. Using the Aqua La Voce DAC. Sound is phenomenal. I havenā€™t played vinyl in 2 days.

3 Likes

Agree 100%. Shuffling my entire library (or a focus group or two) is my primary usage. There arenā€™t many things that would be a dealbreaker for me but the broken shuffle feature is one of them. Surprising this made it past final QC but software is a difficult world I understand.

Couple this with the now broken Focus feature and the problem is exacerbated even further which I have to say is disappointing.

I noticed the date added for albums from tidal/qobuz which are added to your library is hardly showing at all on the album page?? any ideas?

1 Like

You canā€™t understand that Shuffle and Focus are both broken?

In a large library you canā€™t shuffle past artists that start with letter A or B. And you canā€™t focus on more than one genre at a time (like Jazz and Classical, or Electronic and New Age, etc.)

I like a lot of things about 1.8, but I can clearly see how these fairly simple and arguably fundamental features are rendered unusable by 1.8.

4 Likes