Roon 1.8 (Build 748/756/763/764) Feedback

Unfortunately, it is still not working even after I reboot the server, end point and controller plus logout

of Tidal and login again.

I tried on four different servers, and has the same result.

Gern :heart_eyes:

In the settings, first button you set in Play Actions is same for visible button and menu list :flushed:

1 Like

I agree some of the negativity here is hyperbolic. But come on, this is an expensive piece of software. Some of the stuff people complain about would never have happened in the first place with just a lick of common sense, and most of the stuff that people were complaining about before wasn’t addressed at all.

If you’re gonna charge that much, and then come up with the superlative advertising Roon sent us all, you have to do better. So while I fully agree Roon is not completely broken, and no, purple does not make my eyes bleed out, I actually think they deserve every single of bit of the backlash they’re getting. Maybe next time, they’ll work on the stuff that actually needs fixing instead of the typefaces.

16 Likes

I totally agree.
I just miss that sarcasm appreciation button!

This is indeed a good point.

There was no beta. They thought their product was absolutely perfect. No need to check it through.

Absolutely happy with Roon 1.8. It is a significant improvement over 1.7. Everything I wanted to do in 1.7 can now also be achieved in 1.8 PLUS the UI is significantly more logical and accessible, allowing me to build a library (along with Qobuz) far more easily.
I love the new colour scheme and the ability to have more compact window sizes on desktop computers. Both my MacOS and Windows 10 installations have worked flawlessly and the Rock upgrade was simplicity itself.
Really can not understand what all of the fuss is about - must be local server/installation/setup issues. I am obviously lucky.

9 Likes

I have display issues with overlay software (Msi Afterburner and Riva Tuner) on PC and Windows 10. I did not have these issues with version 1.7

Hope that it gets solved…Unless anyone has another idea how i can fix it? (other than turning off the software). I have done a clean driver reinstall with various drivers but nothing helped.

New Roon . Core iMac mini , Ipad

The new minimalist look starts with et simple black on white icon. Very retro, that, saves on paint i guess
It gets worse, the beer mat designed photos now eliminate any unwanted group members. ELP becomes a beaming Carl Palmer. Not so bad here as Greg and Keith parted the scene a few years back.
My once complete list of artists photos has been chopped by 70%
Doobies now are merely a grey square with DB.
Opening up said group reveals most Albums have also had their marvelous artwork removed and now a grey square is all I have
This upgrade has been an evil act !
Can i get back my old version or my money back
Mike

3 Likes

Particularly in light mode, the contrast between fonts, colors etc. of design elements is so low it is not obvious where the links are. I find myself a lot of the time trying to remember 1.7 to guess where I think the links probably are.

Not if you’re a lefty.

But I’ve been dealing with things like this my whole life so I tend to overlook the annoyances now. :crazy_face:

I hope it was only a problem of quantity and diversity rather than quality. That would be hard on the testers, since they normally do this voluntarily.

Roon invited the users who took part in the live demo sessions before release to do some “testing” but this was no organized test as such. I was part of that group but I guess there were other “real” beta testers involved. But they were obviously not divers enough in terms of uses cases, localization and hardware.

I do beta testing from time to time as part of my profession and my experience tells me that bad beta tests are not caused by bad testers but by bad test organization.

4 Likes

As I said above: There never was a beta test

2 Likes

mostly, for sure

but also… looks no one dared criticising some design choices nor pointing out some very obvious inconsistencies and questionable changes :no_mouth:
or, maybe, those who did were simply ignored :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I love Roon 1.8 and have absolutely no problems at all. It updated without a glitch and works with no crashes on PC and iPad. I don’t use tags though so can’t comment on that. I mainly use it for Tidal and my CD collection that I’ve burned to a portable hard drive and the music sounds fantastic.
I love the look which is so clean and bright.
Its a big well done Roon from me.

2 Likes

Update process was smooth in my environment (ROCK/NAS/PCx2/iPad/android/squeezebox/chromecast/ropieee/streamer) and overall I like the new UI.

1 Like

I guess there is a bit of a mixup - those who were invited for the preview, a few days before the release are not “Beta Testers” just a chosen few “Previewers” to moreless give positive feedback to the team.
I guess if they showed up issues - like the App crashing immediately on systems of a different locale or Settings not being complete, when your machine is not en anglais. Were seen and sadly ignored.

No, Beta Testers are the people who have hopefully been involved for months testing features etc and giving feedback. Roon surely has these.

So Beta Testers and Previewers. But not reacting on what they have to say, is a bad choice.
Having been warned about the locale problem and not changing it before release is not very clever - the result we have here.
Sure there are members who never had this problem - since they have their systems in english - they had a much smoother transition to 1.8.

Ah well - lets just move on.

2 Likes

Intrigued as to where this strength of confidence comes from?

3 Likes

So fwiw, when I say “I like it”, it doesn’t mean “you should like it” nor “you must like it too or you’re missing something”.

I happen to think they got it right for some users (I’m guessing more: balanced use of mobile/desktop, balanced use of local/streaming, newer users, …) and got it more wrong for some other users (at this point I’d say: desktop primary, local library primary, tag curation primary, longtime users, etc). I don’t know if they can fix things for the groups of folks who are in the second bucket and retain what the group in the first bucket like so much, but I bet they will try.

However, it’s an awfully diverse group of use cases in terms of interface and approach, and my guess is that Roon, like any company that doesn’t have unlimited resources, is going to have to make some choices about who their primary user is. And I don’t really know what they will choose. Maybe my particular use case will “win out” and maybe it won’t. Maybe I’ll adapt and maybe I won’t. But I’m pretty confident that they won’t make a choice that is manifestly dumb for them as a company.

[none of this is a comment on execution of roll out - if you had a non-functional system in that it would not play music, you have my extreme sympathies and I’m hoping a responsive approach from the company to get you up and running so you can hit play reliably ASAP]

9 Likes