Roon 1.8 (Build 831) Feedback

Using iMac with updated OS – Big Sur 11.6. Sometimes the music will simply stop. Occurs if it is a Qobuz album or using live radio. The connection to the endpoint remains OK (Roon recognizes the audio zone). Pressing “play” resumes music. But wondering about if this is a known bug. Can’t remember if it occurred after updating the Mac’s OS or updating to the latest Roon 1.8 or both. Thanks.

1 Like

Have the exact same thing happen time to time.

1 Like

I have the same problem running the core on Win10 pro (64) but it’s been happening prior to build 831.

I have quite a few Ropieee units with HAT based Digital Amps and speakers connected and all work flawlessly with iOS controls. Even my wife has it working on her iPh X

This is irony?

The latest release is plagued with issues as evidenced in this thread and others.

At that time I was on the other side of the experience and had to learn that sometimes the man in front of the computer is the problem. This will also apply to some of the problems mentioned here.

Of course, the experience that no software is perfect yet or would ever be perfect also applies to Roon and frustration and fascination will continue to alternate each other depending on the personal problem situation. I wish everyone a smoothly functioning technology and the team the strength to quickly correct real errors and problems.

I perceive an improved communication to this, but patience and effort is necessary on both sides (customer and supplier). Some may not be willing to read about solutions that have already been found, or may not dare to try what long-time users recommend.

4 Likes

I liked the idea of lock screen controls but having played around I’ve found one thing that’s an issue for me.
I use a remote with a Linn KDS (Roon Tested) to quickly raise, lower or mute the volume as it’s quicker than grabbing iPhone or iPad. Previously to 831 if I adjusted the volume using the remote, the apps would reflect that change. They no longer do. My startup volume is set at 30. Whatever I do with the remote the apps display 30. If I use the physical volume controls on the Apple devices to change volume, the apps reflect the change, but unless the volume was still at 30 when I started, the volume displayed is out of sync with the actual volume.
E.g. I start playing music, but using the remote push the volume to around 45. If I go into the app (still displaying 30) and use the side buttons to increase the volume again, the app will display 31, 32, 33 etc., but the actual level shown on the KDS will show 46, 47, 48…

Michael

EDIT Seems to have sorted with no input from me. Strange…

1 Like

Best you send them a direct bug report.
Then this has a better chance to get fixed 2022.

4 Likes

Done. Thanks for the suggestion.

Michael

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Roon core no longer sees my Sonos audio device

3 posts were split to a new topic: Metadata Improver: Paused (Build 831)

What’s your favorite digital HAT amp?

Its the IQAudIO DigiAMP+ hat now sold a Raspberry Pi product.

2 Likes

Yes. See here for details:-

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/iqaudio-is-now-raspberry-pi/

Bitperfect does not explain all. Otherwise all streamers that are bit-perfect would sound te same, they do not. On my Naim NDX-2 rendering Qobuz HiQ via roon-ready (Roon on a NUC) was not as good as when playing though Naim play-que directly. That (and the poor quality of the Naim remote app) is why I sold my NDX-2 and replaced it with a (much cheaper) Benchmark DAC3 (USB connection to the same NUC). More air, more soundstage, more details, more clarity, much better with my current set-up.

That said, i did NOT notice any sound quality improvement due to the new Roon build. Would be strange, as the RAAT service was not touched to my knowledge.Unless of course you had some DSP enabled, and the installation of the newest core changed those settings somehow (again, not probable but possible).

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: iFi Zen Dac no longer shows in the devices

There is another dimension here… conversion to/from I2S or SPDIF, but these differences are connected to timing and a well design DAC should compensate for any discrepancy, but not all of them do this in a good way (most don’t).

Any crappy streamer would do if you have a well designed DAC which handles not perfect signal on its input. This is also the reason why most DAC’s with a build in streamer sound better than an external streamer.

I’m still burning in the new software

1 Like

Guess you are joking (not anglophone myself, and irony is hard when writing).

In case you are not: HW burn-in exists (heard it many times myself), SW burn-in not so much (as a IT veteran of 40+ years) - not talking about patches and updates (:slight_smile: those DO exist :slight_smile: ).

Does burn in stop happening when the warranty runs out? Maybe thats when the burn out starts? Or maybe the burn out starts as soon as you turn it on…maybe as its burning out it gets better then gets worse. Who really knows :wink: