Roon 1.8 Build 880 - Better Audio Sound Quality (SQ)?

How are you judging things? Improved audio performance?

I had the impression of a light SQ uptick. As Iā€™ve subsequently changed my set-up, though, (new amplifier, power cords, interconnects, and ethernet switch), at this point I obviously canā€™t say much about that anymore. Based on the posts in this thread, it would seem that I ā€˜imaginedā€™ things, even though Iā€™m still waiting for a clear explanation as to why the update couldnā€™t possibly alter the SQ.
Iā€™m specifically intrigued about

Lucky you! Others, it seems, are losing theirs because of massive problems. :wink:

1 Like

How could the road improve the quality of the apples in a cargo truck?
Roon is just an infrastructure. Takes digital audio from point A to B.

3 Likes

Anders herum wird ein Schuh darausā€¦ A bumpy road damages the applesā€¦ bad analogy I believe.

3 Likes

Bit errors in digital music are very audible. But bit errors basically dont exist.
Jitter can provoke distorsion. But with todays buffering and re-clocking of data
in devices, ROON can affect that very little by network transport timing.
But for sure ROON wont improve the quality from the original if no DSP is active.

3 Likes

Donā€™t disagree with you on this.

And yet, there are quite a few people who prefer Audirvana SQ over Roon. Are they all mistaken? After all, both Roon and Audirvana just push bits around.

1 Like

Nope.

But wait ā€¦
What if the source code was compiled on a computer powered by a LPS? :wink:

Now I start hearing it too.

5 Likes

I noticed an almost immediate but subtle change in the sound quality, though was extremely hesitant to say so on this forum as Iā€™m not mentally ill, nor anti-science, nor a snake oil dupe, which is sadly how itā€™ll be painted by many here. Just sensitive hearing I suppose. But I did notice it on both of my major endpoints.

6 Likes

My feelings and impressions exactly! As soon as you touch on a controversial topic (Roon SQ, interconnects, ethernet switches ā€¦), expect to be taken for an audiophool.

3 Likes

There is a slight but still noticeable uptick in transparency.

2 Likes

In my main system I perfer HQPlayer SQ over both Audirvana and Roon. I did try Audirvana which sounds good but I felt like there was a false set of reality around the sound, especially with classic rock or older music. Meaning I thought I lost soundstage and dynamics but the bass was present more. It seemed to me that many of the dynamics were stuck in the back of the speaker and Audirvana required a different kind of convolution filter than I have so thatā€™s where I stopped. Just my opinion though, please take with a grain of salt :smiley:

1 Like

The interesting fact is that you felt that Audirvana sounded different! That is something the bits-are-bits crowd wouldnā€™t admit is actually possible.
By the way, I also believe that Audirvana sounds different, but itā€™s not very much to my liking (over longer listening stretches, I find it fatiguing). I prefer Roonā€™s sound, and what with Roonā€™s overall level of functionality, thereā€™s no contest.

1 Like

Yes, I do believe it sounds different, when not looking at things in numbers on a whiteboard and listening subjectively and I donā€™t want to start that conversation. I also have a substantial hearing loss in my right ear which plays a big factor for me. But I do believe that all of these services use different filters for sound signature, could be wrong, unless if you send source to your dac and let that do all of the legwork.

Did you A-B test audirvana against ROON?
I.e someone at the sticks and you ignorant?

How am I to read this?

There were no substantial changes to Roon Bridge in this release, just minor bug fixes not related to audio playback.

4 Likes

The lossless audio sounds even more lossless now, itā€™s amazing. The -āˆždb pitch black silence sounds even more āˆž now. Really impressed how roon can keep making digital audio sound better with every incremental product release.

Hehe, Someone is switching and you dont know which? Blindfolded?