Roon 1.8 Build 880 - Better Audio Sound Quality (SQ)?

And off they go … the ideologues of scientific fact (or what they take to be as such). What they can’t hear, nobody is allowed to hear. Give me scientific measurements, all else is baloney.

1 Like

Yes, and nothing quite matches the human brain. Master of trickeries.

2 Likes

I’m honestly one of the people who rests firmly in the camp that it’s never a case of bits are bits and that’s all folks!

Everything counts, everything contributes to the sq… IMHO.
Different software, different streamer, different server.

All make an audible difference in my system… IMHO.

I truly wish I never heard any difference or I would be quite happy with the cheapest streaming and server solution and be a lot richer!

However… with all that being said…

I’m not sure I really hear any changes with b882 compared to b850.

If there is it’s so minor this time around.

1 Like

Agreed, but please, to remain coherent, apply that insight to your own insights (or should I say cognitive biases?).

Is there a polite way of saying ffs, not this again?

7 Likes

I never said I had my own insights. I just mentioned scientific facts about the human brain.
Reality is a mere product of your nerve impulses and interpretations of such.
But a way less receptive to emotional conviction and placebo-like experience (your brain isnt tricking yourself) is A-B testing.

Hmm… difficult to wrap my brain around that assertion. So, is this assertion recursive or are nerve impulses outside reality?

2 Likes

Kind of Audio Matrix?!

3 Likes

Attention all planets of the solar federation…

We have assumed control
We have assumed control
We have assumed control

6 Likes

There is no spoon

3 Likes

There is no ROON.

4 Likes

Two by four…

Our sense of reality is one thing, objective reality (whatever that might be) is another.

The map is not the territory.

1 Like

I consider myself to be a person who makes judgments and takes decisions based on evidence.
The question, however, is what kind of evidence?
I’ve never been a bits-are-bits person, but gave (and continue to do so) serious consideration to psychological factors (such as cognitive biases). However, I’ve come round to the view that in hifi those biases don’t matter, ultimately. Not only is it exceedingly difficult to pinpoint a particular bias and prove the impact that such a putative bias has on your listening experience(A/B testing, for instance, has its own significant issues), but what matters in hifi is the enjoyment of the music. So if you think that a particular tweak to your system, or a particular cord or cable, makes a difference, and thereby increases your enjoyment of the music, all is good. That increase in enjoyment may not be grounded in hard scientific evidence, and may well be a psychological effect, – only who cares? as the increase in enjoyment is REAL to you. It’s your (intimate) reality, as it is your money and time invested in this crazy pursuit of ours to optimise sound. Whether I am (objectively) right or wrong is of no importance to me, as long as I have (or convinced myself to have) maximised my pleasure quotient.

10 Likes

That is the whole audiophile industry in a nutshell.

1 Like

Exactly why they do not comment, hard to contradict peoples “feelings” when they think they can hear an improvement and it is all in their mind :slight_smile: The entire hifi cable-industry is built on this, hard to break the pattern.

Neither they commented on your comment.

Why would you want to “break” the pattern in the first place? What is there to gain? In what way would “breaking the pattern” advance your enjoyment of music?
Who would want to live in a world solely run by scientists/engineers, with the gloriously messy and unruly feelings and emotions that define us formalised, measured and adjudicated according to bloodless principles of computation?
Keats said it much better than I ever could:

Philosophy* will clip an Angel’s wings,
Conquer all mysteries by rule and line,
Empty the haunted air, and gnomèd mine—
Unweave a rainbow, […]

• the natural sciences

I don’t think the world is run solely by one group or another, but it’s worth pointing out that audio reproduction is based entirely on science and that it was engineers who built all the machines that we’re talking about here.

1 Like

Because the pattern is to make people believe there is a difference, when there is not. It is all about the money. The same reason we have all these people believing there is a difference for every release - trust me, there is not a difference - it is all in your head :slight_smile:

Edit:
Even when Roon that develops this magical solution states that there are no differences in SQ - people still belive (so this believing part is deeply wired in the brain). The human brain is easy to manipulate/trick - keep being skeptical and trust in science - not hallelujah statements.

2 Likes