Roon 1.8 (Build 880) Feedback Thread

I don’t know this technology i’m more of an MS Access and Oracle man.
But i’m guessing if Roon lives on my mac that Timemachine would be including backups of the database.

If I knew the location and the files could I do a Timemachine restore?

The issue I was referring to was the problem of backing up a database with latent corruption, which build 880 onwards has fixed, i.e. if there’s any corruption in the database you can’t back it up. I didn’t mean to imply that databases could longer get corrupted. And I agree, it would be helpful if Roon could be a bit more explicit about what needs to be done regarding backing up the database. I’m not sure how a default backup schedule could work, but it’s definitely a good idea.

No. Time machine backups probably will not work. Especially if Roon was open in the background. If you read the roon backup faq it goes into it. Excerpt below

Other backup applications

Because the Roon database is frequently being updated in the background with new metadata, cover art, artist information, and more, backing up your “live” Roon database using external programs can result in corrupt backups. We strongly recommend against using Time Machine, Crashplan, Backblaze, or other backup applications to backup your “live” Roon database. If you would like to use any of these applications to back up Roon, set up a Scheduled Backup and tell your backup program to backup the RoonBackups

Like a preset daily backup, just add a location, all prompted in a starting tutorial.

The issue was having a corrupt working data base. The backup issue was just one of the consequences.

Stop roon server. Backup. Restart roon server. I’m not familiar with Time Machine, but any decent windows backup software can run pre/post backup scripts. If it works or not it’s pointless anyway if the data base is already corrupt.

I’ll keep my level of optimism verry moderated on this one.

Yep, that would do it, though I’m not convinced it needs to be daily.

Yes, I know, I probably should have worded my point differently, but the bit that worried me was the idea that I might be backing up latent corruption without realising it - which is why I was running a restore every month. Clearly a corrupt database is bad, but it’s nowhere near as catastrophic as having a corrupt backup (or set of backups).

It probably doesn’t. But, that would allow for only a lost day’s worth of data. Personally, I do a week end and month end backup. And, when I have done any substantive editing or playlist creation, I force a backup immediately. That last bit is probably the most important one to prevent any lost efforts.

I have various schedules running so it’s normally somewhere between two and four days for me, but I take your point about substantive editing - definitely a good idea to back up at that point.

…won’t protect anything from a power failure.

Or a nuclear attack, correct! It was meant as a metaphor, my point being that I’m not convinced (and after this and some other hints they gave us along the way, I’ll never be) that software wise roon did all the technically possible stuff to avoid this kind of issues, when all of these alleged power/disks failures they are so at ease to point at, happens.

If I were to put everything in one word, carelessness may be a good one (just to be polite).

They didn’t, and @Danny has said as much.

You can never have too many backups, space permitting…

5 Likes

This is how I use Roon Backups - a scheduled backup to a volume on a NAS (every 4-days, with a depth of 10, so just over a month’s worth), then an rsync backup of that file store to a further volume. So there is a greater depth of backups taken.

Couldn’t agree more :slight_smile:

1 Like

latest build and still album art is slow to load,get ur. finger out roon

It’s apparently working great for Roon, even when they VPN into Belgium, so don’t hold your breath. Perhaps we should VPN to the US and back to speed it up?

2 Likes

I don’t feel any improvement on the “rock-solid streaming” part. If anything it’s worse than before. It seems to be more demanding on the bridge side. My core is wired connected and my roon ready device is wireless. Now I can’t stream anything from Tidal that is 96/24 or above or it would say “Tidal is loading slowly”.

1 Like

This streaming work is related to how we get data from TIDAL and Qobuz over the internet, not how it streams on your local network.

Nothing changed with how it streams on your local network.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Minimizing Roon’s window stops Roon

Has the caching / preloading been improved?