Roon 1.8 sound quality change?

NO - increased by exactly 0.1
no more, no less
:upside_down_face:

1 Like

I am definitely not joining this SQ/bit perfection debate again… :wink:

3 Likes

So far, everything I have played sounds significantly better.

2 Likes

In my setup, 1.8 sounds clearly better.

3 Likes

Unless you use Roon’s DSP functionality at all any change in sound quality is highly unlikely.

9 Likes

They have improved sound in their DSP engine, at least according to my ears: 1.8 and DSP sound quality

3 Likes

And that’s quite possible if they’ve worked on it, in fact you’d hope it was the intention :slight_smile:

1 Like

Checked release notes and there is a mention of DSP improvements:

6 Likes

It might be imagination but does sound better to me too.

1 Like

its sound little bit better …i noticed it by listening radio paradise (mor then with library tracks)

I’ve never used the DSP, but my SQ now has significantly better transient response, and better localization.

2 Likes

Unlikely without other changes :wink:

1 Like

They mentioned in the patch notes that they have improved the audio pipeline, reducing CPU usage (and some more). If your HiFi is not fully isolated from the computer that could make an audible difference.

1 Like

SQ clearly better. More space between instruments, super direct vocals. Don‘t like the new version 1.8., but like the sound.

6 Likes

Hi everybody. Having only just started using Roon with a nucleus I can’t comment on the differences in SQ between 1.7 and 1.8…but I have found that the Roon SQ is lower than using standard upnp with an app like MconnectHD. Roon SQ has less clarity, less soundstage and generally sounds less dynamic. It’s not a massive difference, but I’m a bit disappointed !

1 Like

Plus 1 hearing slight SQ improvement in 1.8

Definately better sound. More detailed and wider sounstage. Impressive!
Playing on Lumin T2, Accuphase e-360, Dynaudio Contour 30.
Intel NUC/Rock.

5 Likes

The music sounds more spatial, better resolution, absolutely high end. A great update, if now still eliminates the operating errors, then 5 stars.

1 Like

As per ASR, it is! :smiley:

(not troll, just joke! :smiley: )
v

1 Like

I use Euphony OS with Roon integrated. I always listened to Euphony’s own player Stylus because it outperformed Roon. Till now. Roon has become clearly beter. It’s on the same level as Euphony Stylus now. There are differences. Roon is a little more upfront which I like. Roon 1.8 is a pleasant surprise for me.

1 Like