Roon 1.8 sound quality change?

But we can measure a digital signal. Simply by comparing if the digital data from the input side is identical to the data on the output side (before conversion to analog).

1 Like

It’s probably best to give up and leave them to it. Our gain, their loss.

How perfectly goddamned delightful it all is, to be sure
C. Crumb

This is simply a misunderstanding of Ethernet and digital. From the DAC inputs downstream, I’m happy to leave the analogue engineers to their world. Much of the above doesn’t pay digital engineering the same respect. To believe that power-cables, network cables, switches or power supplies make any difference while the signal is digital is to believe in analogue witchcraft in the digital world.

Generally speaking, up to the DAC, if your mileage varies, something’s broken or really badly implemented.

1 Like

The integrity of the actual ones and zeroes is not in question…

You are making the assumption that the signal is digital which it is not. There is digital data in the analog signal. Again, the integrity of the ones and zeroes is not the issue. It is all the crap that comes along with them that is at issue…

Of course, I am wasting my time here…

3 Likes

While it’s a digital signal separating the “noise” from the signal is a solved problem. If this were an issue, the internet would collapse under the weight of accumulated noise. Audio streaming would surely be noticeably compromised? And yet millions of hours of 4K video with a high-quality audio codec piggybacked on board is streamed every hour, barely missing a beat.

I’m inclined to agree.

3 Likes

No, it is not! It’s an analog signal which is interpreted by the receiver code/firmware.

1 Like

And reliably decoding the signal from the noise is still a solved engineering problem, seriously. You can play semantics all you wish but the fact remains there’s absolutely nothing special about audio data in this respect.

3 Likes

There is no debate on Roon 1.8

It is far finer even if you are a whiner

So get your beer and listen hear

Roon’s audio has not changed ,it has just made your mind quite deranged.

5 Likes

Why does this only effects music data? I never saw the ‘noise’ altering my excel or word files. Online banking would be a lot of fun, if this ‘noise’ would really be an issue on digital data.
Please explain what makes audio data so special, that it is the only data type sensible for this noise.

The solution could be to put all the audio data as hex code in a word file, send it through the noisy line and at the end revert the hex code back to an audio file. Would this work?

4 Likes

Umm, it’s called your ears. Last I checked no has listened to a word or excel file. But, you know, science…

Now I need to go answer some emails that just came through my DAC…

1 Like

Strange answer with no connection to my point. My ears are not able to hear digital data.
Obfuscation is a cheap way to avoid answering critical questions.

Oh, they can’t? Then that’s an analog signal entering your DAC after all?

I guess it takes an obfuscater to know one…

(and again, and again, and again, the noise we are discussing is not altering anything in the digital file itself, one more reason to answer a ridiculous supposition such as the one you made with a snarky answer)

I think you know that I was talking about the construction and engineering of a DAC and the feeding of data into it.
If it’s that easy, saying like child’s play, then I happily will test the DAC you manufactured yourself.

I never spoke about the DAC in its main function, but ‘feeding of data into it’ is simple. Receiving network data and writing it in a buffer (a simple cheap RAM modul is sufficient for audio data, don’t need to be fast for music) is a solved problem and can be done by moduls that cost a few cents (every smart light switch has such a modul). Now you have all your data in a RAM modul from which the DAC can read and process it. And because a RAM modul only stores the real digital data you have no noise, otherwise computers would have a serious problem with thei RAM stored data.

1 Like

I have burned in 1.8 for 100 hours!! and the audio has become sublime. I am listening to my old Vanilla Ice and MC hammer collection over and over and am amazed by the improvement.

5 Likes

Metal Machine Music has never sounded better. I don’t know what they did, but wow.

2 Likes

Enjoy it while you can. You will get it perfect after 1000 hours and 1.9 will come out and you will have to burn it all in again else it will sound shocking…

5 Likes

So…not only a stand-up but now a poet??? Your talent has no bounds…

1 Like