Roon 1.8 update in a nutshell

@DrPo thanks for your example. This is in fact an improvement. The new focus functionality seems to be quite promising. I have used the Filter functionality for your case in the past, but the filter certainly does not give you a condensed overview just as focus.
There seem to be still some bugs with focus, for example, I can not always see the compositions there. This is especially annoying with box sets but it also happens with other albums. I have reported this, hope it will be fixed soon.

Thanks. The subject is too complex and I am not expecting a full solution any time soon, the more so as the quality of metadata (which Roon uses but does not own) is a really daunting task. But I am very happy with the progress

I am also at a loss here. Support for Classical has for the most part taken a very considerable step backward in 1.8.

The focus tool is largely a repackaging of existing functionality that wasn’t as visible in previous releases. It works ok if you just want to find something quickly to play. I am using it that way myself. But if you examine the search results more closely you will see there have been some rather arbitrary “context aware” constraints placed on the search set size and sorting that is returned. This has probably been done to provide a “manageable” experience for many casual Classical listeners who would otherwise be overwhelmed by the choices you get with very large streaming catalogues. This may or may not be important to you. For many serious Classical listeners it will be important. There are many other changes, large and small that many Classical listeners will find a retrograde step from 1.7

Roon 1.8 is supposedly better for smartphone users who use portrait mode. Plus for those using streaming services.

For those of us using landscape mode on desktops, laptops and large tablets, we now have to do lots of extra navigation. Screen space is wasted. Features are missing. New features not implemented for those who don’t use streaming services.

Right now, if I was able to, I’d happily go back to Roon 1.7.

1 Like

Dear all,

I cannot comment yet on whether 1.8 is better - overall, it seems mostly the same save for certain tweaks.

My comment concerns Focus. I have a resident library (i.e. I don’t stream) and I have spent much time working/updating the tags of my music files (in iTunes or Apple Music). Unless I have missed something, Roon will not recognize my tags for the music genre. I do not understand why Roon imposes its labels for music genres - In my view, we often do not agree on what is Progressive Rock, Pop rock; Hard Rock, Rock Fusion, “French variétés”, etc. If Roon would recognize my tags, it would be easy to select whatever genre I wanted using Focus and find everything I would expect in the selected genre.

If someone can set me straight or assist, it would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Alexandeer

i have not used it yet but would not be a change in the import settigs solve you problem…?