Roon 1.8 update in a nutshell

Hi everyone,

thanks in advance for your help.
On top of videos, mails … please could somebody summarise what are the main changes/upgrades/improvements on Roon 1.8 compared the previous one?

Just bullets will be enough.

Again thanks and happy listening to the music.

Sante

Me personally do not see any big improvements, rather downsides, and disappointments compared to the expectation bias hyped by the announcement.

Cheers
NOA

3 Likes

Thx NOA,

Sante

• If your primary Roon Control app is a smart phone, then the ability to use portrait mode is probably an advantage.

1 bullet point only, because that’s it for me. I use Windows 10 desktops and laptops or an iPad Air as my Roon control devices.

… and if you are using a smart phone as your primary control point - Why, for goodness sake?

1 Like

Thanks hmack,

crystal clear.

Sante

Hi @Sante_Roon,

My answer was probably a bit too negative, because I haven’t actually installed version 1.8 yet.

I have been going by screenshots and video reviews that others have posted about the look and feel of the new UI, and report of issues such as the loss of functionality regarding tags and playlists, and the inability to resize album covers in “Album View” any more.

These are all big drawbacks in my personal view, but I am sure there must also be a few positives in there as well - just haven’t uncovered them yet!

2 Likes

I have a completely different view. Main reasons for liking 1.8:

1. The “focus” function which allows multiple filters (“classical” + “Composer =…” + “DSD64”) is now readily available in all screens and on smartphones as well (see point 2)

2. (as noted in precious responses) Full UI capabilities on smartphone (that is: “focus” function, lyrics, editing …)

3. Real support of classical music with “composition” etc.

I have not explored the “explore new music” additional functionality (pun intended) so cannot comment there.

I understand the navigation may be more complex as in my experience “flexibility” and “simplification” are often conflicting goals (a point I keep facing at work…)

I do understand though that for those who don’t use smartphones as control points, are not into classical and do not have much use for the focus function the new release might appear cumbersome or even a step back …

4 Likes

guys, sorry for being such a pain in the b***, but have I been using a different software the last 6 years? What is different with 1.8 as opposed to 1.7 concerning compositions? What did I miss? I read this statements all over the place. Some examples please?

Here is the list… while there are some marketing speak mixed in, if you skip over that this post does list the changes:

Roon 1.8 is live! - Roon Software / Software Release Notes - Roon Labs Community

1 Like

I don’t use Compositions much, but i think the major changes are in the Classical genre, where Compositions get’s it’s own layout and features.

This feature has been basically been part of the Roon value proposition since the very beginning. It has improved over the time but has been pretty stable for the last couple of years. So nothing new with 1.8

Thanks DrPo,

Sante

Ok thanks RobOK for your suggestion.

Sante

I understand there to be a lot of changes.

lots of changes under the hood maybe. any conceivable new functionalities for people without streaming? I don‘t see them. The people I know on the forum with big classical libraries and streaming seem also underwhelmed by 1.8 functionality wise.

I think Marketing did a good job with advertising classical, though. Now everybody thinks that a minority of users have been pleased at the cost of others. I think nothing could be farther from the truth…

Yeah, but it didn’t work properly.
Compostions like Stravinsky’s, which are sold under both English and French names weren’t seen as the same composition, and even labelling them as such was problematic - I couldn’t do one search and get all my versions to come up as albums.
Now they do.

1 Like

would you mind providing a screenshot? You are refering to for example searching for the firebird and getting results where the composition is called l‘oiseau de feu?
How is this dealt with now? I guess that‘s valid for streaming content only. I do not stream and I have used the merge composition feature in the past for these cases.
Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, that’s what I’m referring to. And I’m not referring just to streaming. Also to my local library.
It may have something to do with my personal metatags, but it didn’t work before and it does now.

ok - this particular case was never an issue for me since I have consistent file tags for my works and the cases where the same composition was identified in different ways, I would use the merging functionality. So you are searching with the french title and get a match in a different language? Interesting.

Ok let me give an example:

On a smartphone I search for “Beethoven Symphony 5”.

I now get as a first result a “composition” proposal

Then I can use focus to select which performance I am interested in:

This is (a) what I want and (b) what I did not have so far

2 Likes