Roon 2.0 and internet connectivity [it's just like 1.8 now]

A NUC is a computer. It is not a manufacturer specific streamer. NUCs are good for running ROCK, the roon operating system for running roon core.

Only if they let other people use it too without permission. I have files on dropbox. That’s the cloud. But only I can access them.

Zero chance we will do that.

2 Likes

Certainly it would be a copyright violation. I’m assuming you have a license for all of your digital files, of course. Perhaps that license allows you to allow third parties to make other copies?

Nobody wants to look too hard at this business of “local copies”.

How’s that? You make copies of your files when you back them up. You can make as many copies as you like for personal use. The cloud is just another copy. It’s still for personal use.

Sure, you could say that the law is an ass, but it’s a powerful one.

Not sure what you mean. The law allows you to make copies. The issue of media copying is as old as the first analog recording media. It got trickier with digital media and the ability to make perfect copies. But you still can.

Not demonstrable theft or copyright violation. Apple vetted this a decade ago. Remember iTunes in the Cloud and iTunes Match?

Possession as nine tenths of the law. You could have a ratty downloaded MP3, but whatever file that you possessed, Apple would try to match it against its current AAC already in the cloud. If Apple could not match it, Apple would upload your file in full to the cloud. In both instances, you were granted cloud access to your music library.

AJ

1 Like

I don’t know what Apple did, but there would be no cloud storage services of any kind if the law was not clear about who owns the data.

1 Like

NUC is a small, inexpensive PC created and sold by Intel. You can run various software on it, such as Windows, Linux — or ROCK.
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/details/nuc.html

But not play music?

Well, the chances of both ISP and my mobile data provider both going down at the same time is slim.

A power cut, then we’re all doomed.

Just to put some local color on this:

I am living in Frankfurt (Germany).

We do have one of the biggest internet nodes of the world here, DE-CIX. And we do observe daily internet outages on my 1000mbit super fast connection! They only last of few minutes, but that means I would not be able to listen to music in the evening without an interruption.

Sorry, but that’s real life here. :thinking:

Best
Sven

2 Likes

Adding even more colour, my 74MB ADSL2 connection generally has two outages a month each lasting around one minute. That said, offline access is desirable but not essential with current ISP performance levels.

Bear in mind that 2.0 does work (not guaranteed) for a short period after internet outage. You should/ could well be ok with a few minutes of outage.

In my case ARC never worked during the testing phase because of the double NAT problem, which Roon has not addressed yet. I’m just finding out about the Internet requirement now.

I’m 100% local files, ~130,000. Spotty internet service in the country at best.

I was always on the fence with lifetime vs annual. Not anymore. I’ve sung Roon’s praises on many music/gear forums. Not anymore.

For me old search + offline access > 2.0

I’ll be voting with my wallet…and sad to do it

1 Like

Gonna need a better response than that. Your argument that search can’t be run locally holds absolutely no water. If the code can execute on your servers, the code can execute in someone’s home on their server. Or if there is some mysterious reason that it can’t, just make search unavailable when offline, allowing the user to browse their music library, with no search functionality, and no ability to import new music. Seems like an easy and obvious solution to me - unless there are ulterior motives for forcing 2.0 to the cloud.

This makes me wonder… Where is my Roon db? Is it now in the cloud? If not isn’t it inefficient to run code in the cloud that accesses local data? If it is in the cloud, how to I make sure my backup is the latest version?

Lots of subscription based services allow you to have local stuff that’s still accessible without external internet. I can watch Netfix movies offline, I can access all my local music with my Plex system even if the ISP is down (but sadly the Plex can’t stream to my hifi DAC)

That is the ultimate irony. Netflix, YouTube, etc are all streaming services, inherently dependent on the Internet to access content, but have provided mechanisms for users to cache and enjoy content offline. Roon is the antithesis of a streaming service, providing you a rich UI to enjoy your own music in your own home without depending on a streaming service, but has handicapped their product to depend on an Internet connection.

4 Likes

Well, ARC will ironically give you offline access on your phone, but we’ve lost it at home where the core is.

2 Likes

Will “Shuffle” ever return as a command as I have used for more than 6 years…Why remove it? Because Album data cannot be gleaned from your listening habits?