Roon 2.0 and internet connectivity [it's just like 1.8 now]

Ok, lets brainstorm just for fun: then why do I need the core for that, can’t the license be checked on roon servers directly (against my account or whatever)?

1 Like

From a user perspective the answer is pretty simple here:

• Let people use Roon from their van/RV/cabin with the existing license check.
  • When Internet is not available toss an alert that search will not work until Roon is back online.
  • Let ARC do a license check from the app, not against your online core so offline core doesn’t prevent playback of downloaded music. No reason credentials can’t be authenticated this way.

These are really poor decisions that ignore so many use cases. Having 1.8 Legacy forever isn’t an answer. It’s a decent stop-gap for the time being but cutting playback of locally available media for a piece of software that’s MAIN PURPOSE is playing back music is ridiculous.

9 Likes

ARC is not licensed, your Core is. Same goes for Roon Remotes. It’s always worked like this.

1 Like

But now Roon & ARC works differently, so why can’t the licensing check be modified to accommodate this new feature?

3 Likes

And yet you’re ignoring that you’ve separated ARC from Roon Remote and allowed content to be added to the app and device. What in the world does the core have to do with music I had permission to download on the device? Do a check against any other instances of ARC running. Tying local playback of downloaded media to the core being online makes sense in no world and you’ll continue to hear that for years to come.

8 Likes

I guess I’ll add my -1 on the require-Internet part. If I can’t enjoy my Internet outage with some music, I guess I have to watch movies on my Plex server. At least that can play on my local network.

And I’d like to know why it /has/ to have always-on Internet access as well. Way too many products anymore have limited or no use if you Internet connection goes down or the company pulls the cloud support.

-Alan

1 Like

You can? I lost internet at my house yesterday (big storm… back up today, had to go work at @brian’s house during release!)

I was unable to use Plex locally. The app wouldn’t get past the Plex logo.

Works for me.

1 Like

Yeah… Because we all have the power to fix things like the disastrous nbn here in Australia. We can all just go out and set up a new ISP that doesn’t use them - just for our own use, you understand. This is the type of comment that’s getting you in trouble. Trying to shift the blame to the end user - to use the earlier very apt comment - is not cute.

Now I have gone to the effort of getting and paying for a 4G backup service, but only a small amount of data for critical services such as email and similar, and I block Roon from access to that to conserve data for critical services. That way it’s easy to force it to use local files only during outages. But that’s not going to work now, either.

The days of the old Slimp3 seem so easy now…

4 Likes

Hrm, I just tried ios and android apps while having FiOS modem’s ethernet cable pulled. Both still hang. Clearly, I’m doing something wrong.

I tried telling my google mini to play plex on the chromecast too, but that didn’t work either while the cable was pulled.

Plex works fine offline with a couple settings checked so it doesn’t phone home. You just re-route traffic locally. It doesn’t work with the Apple TV because you’re using the Plex authentication mechanism and aren’t connecting to your local server. The workaround on aTV is to use the VLC app and access the Plex SMB shares. But it definitely works on a computer.

1 Like

So how to I switch or update to 1.8 Legacy to avoid the update notices. Also I don’t want update notices on my iOS devices either. Can you please point me to the instructions for both. My Core is on an SGS i5. Thanks.

Yeah nightmare and finally I guess a reason not to beat myself up for never buying the cheap lifetime pass back in the day - how very “Apple like” of Roon to assume the entire planet has a reliable internet connection…funnily enough in Africa it runs about 75% of the time (like power and lighting) so this basically says 1) I’m being told I can’t even listen to my own 20,000+ albums that I’ve paid for over the last 4 decades and 2) I can’t upgrade / can’t get remote… super unhappy

4 Likes

I can identify with that, Roon 2.0 hasn’t been quite the hype for me. Losing Windows7 support, the Internet issue, and now I see my Android client is refusing to connect to the Core until I upgrade it to 2.0. Not too happy either.

1 Like

I want to use Roon as music player. The fact that it does not work as a music player when the Internet is down, and that would be a more likely time when I need to play music because there is no other “internet based activities” that could be done, makes this really bad. I need Roon to be able to play at all times, and especially when the Internet is down.

I want to stay with 1.8 but I already upgraded to 2.0 early access. How do I go back to 1.8? I have database backup. But, I don’t have the APKs etc. And how do I install the earlier version of remote (version 1.8) and not getting bugged by both Play store and AppStore to upgrade? Would you keep the Legacy Remote in the AppStore and Play Store?

Even the installer for the ROCK core, started with build 571 which need to be upgraded to the latest version. But that latest version is now version 2.0? I want to go back to 1.8. Please assist.

This is bad, really bad.

4 Likes

I agree. I am extremely upset with this upgrade.

1 Like

The “no internet no music for you if you sometimes want to hear music outside your house “ is a hard pill to swallow.

10 Likes

Couldn’t agree more. I feel mislead into upgrading to 2.0. Now the not so easy task to downgrade my many devices. This is a huge PITA.

2 Likes

Thanks Danny, that’s clear.

As a lifetime subscriber with a huge local collection, it’s looking like the product is evolving away from my ideals.

Can I ask, we’ve previously talked about what happens to lifetime subscriptions if Roon go bust… if there’s now a flat-out requirement for online services for Roon to continue to operate, does that now mean that if Roon go bust, the lifetime subscribers will also be unable to use the software?

Thanks.

10 Likes

What made Roon great was the fact that it would serve my LOCAL music collection. My Internet is sporadic and if Roon needs a constant connection to the Internet, Roon is now a dud product for me. Roon, please answer this. How do we downgrade to 1.8. Where is the software for a Synology NAS?

7 Likes