Roon 2.0: From Rumors To Reality

Talking about “Road noise and other influences” is a sign that we should stop.
The road noise should prevent us from listening to music in a car, according to your thinking.

good to know, my 3 year old Porsche is not that modern yet

vinyl

13 Likes

If Roon is going to release a new feature that involves keeping a copy of a user’s library in the cloud then does that necessarily mean that Roon has to host those files on its servers? I’ve used various Microsoft Office clones on my iPhone and iPads over the years for when I wanted to view or create an Excel or Word document when out and about and all of them have offered the option to choose from a decent selection of cloud storage services for storage of the user’s documents (iCloud, Google Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox and for some of those apps I think even a few other slightly more obscure ones that I have forgotten about). In the same way that one can go into Settings/Services to connect Roon to Qoboz and/or Tidal couldn’t Roon offer a range of online storage providers that the user can choose from for storage of a cloud copy of their library so that the user ends up being responsible for paying for sufficient storage capacity to host his/her files? In the UK 2TB of storage costs £6.99 per month on iCloud and £7.99 per month on Google drive.

(In checking just now that I had the name right for the subsection of settings where one connects to a streaming service - Services - I see that that section already includes the ability to connect to a Dropbox account. I’ve no idea what that is for, storing backups of the database online maybe. Out of curiosity I must go off now and look at the documentation to see what that Dropbox connection is all about.)

Don’t bother looking it up.

The Dropbox service is only for backing up your Roon library thru Settings==>Backups.

I suppose its feasible that you could link your music files to online storage which would be nice. Onedrive/365 subby is superb value. But still music files could reasonably fill up 1TB pretty quick. This also being said I cannot imagine people have over 1tb of music that cannot be found anywhere else that they simply have to listen through a phone when out and about, so its all relative I suppose.

I’ve been hoping for ‘Roon Mobile’ or functionality to play music when on the train, in the car or on holiday.

There are plenty of features that Roon already has that many users don’t need or want, so if you don’t need or want mobile functionality, then so what…just ignore it and be gracious. The more Roon users there are, the more resources the company will have to develop other aspects of Roon and so it’s a benefit to all if it appeals to a larger audience.

So, fingers crossed for mobile/remote functionality of some kind.

7 Likes

Of course if remote streaming is going to work by Roon hosting virtual Roon Cores on the internet then, while my suggestion might solve the issue of Roon having to beef up the storage capacity of its servers to host people’s library files, there would presumably still be cost implications for Roon since it would need to add compute power to its servers to run those instances of Roon Core.

Another possibility that has been discussed in the past for Roon Mobile, if Roon isn’t going to go the route of tunnelling through home routers to access a user’s Roon Core in their home, is to implement a lightweight or maybe even full Roon Core on the mobile device itself. That removes the need for Roon to beef up its server power but does leave the danger of Roon walking itself into a bear trap. I don’t know for sure but I would be quite surprised if my iPhone 14 Pro Max didn’t have enough processing power and RAM (6GB I believe) to run at least a slightly stripped down Roon Core if not a full core but how about some £50 or £60 bargain basement phone that one can find on Amazon or eBay? I think Roon would have to be quite careful with its messaging so as not to create dissatisfaction from people frankly being a bit silly and expecting a Roon Core to run on hardware that simply isn’t up to the job.

We’re now only about 48 hours away from finding out more. If Roon Mobile isn’t one of the big new features then a few of us have wasted an awful lot of time discussing it over the last few days! :smiley:

4 Likes

That’s exactly right. All of us here as users care about Roon and have invested money into it but our vested interests are nothing compared to those of the employees whose livelihoods currently depend on it and in addition I would be fairly confident that they also have a considerable amount of emotional capital and even self-identity invested in it.

We all really need to accept that the people best placed to look at the big picture and make the calls on what new feature will have the widest appeal, and who have the most at stake in terms of getting those calls right, are the Roon employees. And as you say, even if some of those calls fall in favour of a feature of no interest to a particular user, if it turns out to be the right call for the broader community then it strengthens the company, ensures the longevity of the product, and funds further developments so is of benefit to all.

8 Likes

Seing your collection on your phone on the go? Seing your collection everywhere. And looking through the whole calatog of Tidal Qobuz as if if is in your collection (no separate search)?

1 Like

Roon Mobile would be nice, but I am not that excited about it. I currently use Roon at home, and Plex server/Plexamp for mobile access to my music files stored on a Synology NAS (5TB). My only complaint about Plex was the lack of gapless play function but that now is solved by using Plexamp app.

Only if you can disable the feature and avoid exposing a port on internet for nothing. For the moment we do not know :slight_smile:

If the design implies this, I will not use Roon anymore. No open door to my LAN/system for a feature that I do not need.

But wait for tomorrow and check by ourselves.

its what you see, not what you look at. Here is my opinion about it.FWIW.
I saw a blurry picture of a camera, does this link to focus? I saw a porsche, does this link to speed? And i saw a laughing girl with friends , does that link to connecting people? I hope I’m not wrong, but i doubt its about going mobile.

3 Likes

I wonder if the price plan remains the same.
If it’s going to be some different prices for different functionality then I will miss the lifetime opportunity. My one year licence expires on 21st. September.
I don’t know which way to go :grin:

A fairly broad hint. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

This reply from @danny on the feature suggestion thread is interesting.

If access to Roon remotely works for all endpoints, not just mobile devices, then as he says, this would also solve the problem for second homes or offices and there would be no need for a second Roon Core.

I wonder if that’s what Roon 2.0 is about. Here’s hoping.

1 Like

Agreed. No interest at all in video. Mobile streaming, however, would be great.

Roon has stated before they have no plans for ala carte pricing for different features. Price and access to all features will be the same for everyone.

4 Likes

Of course, that doesn’t necessarily mean there are no price increases in the future.

1 Like

True. :+1:

Based on Roon’s prior comments, I expect any price increase would apply to everyone except lifers.

I seem to recall reading @danny saying that, if anything, there would be a decrease in the cost of subscriptions (other than lifetime), not an increase.

2 Likes