Roon 2.0: From Rumors To Reality

Yeah, but how do you get Roon to play them once downloaded using the familiar Roon Remote interface and presenting the library in the sort order that we want without having to tag everything for a different music player? I have yet to find a music player on iOS that can do the album sort order that I want without my having to go through and manually retag every single track in my collection, most of which I have grudgingly done now so that I can use Apple Music to play local files but I would prefer not to have to do that for all subsequent downloads that I purchase and would like to have only one music player (Roon) on my home screen from which I can play both locally stored music and control streaming from my main Roon core to my fixed endpoints at home when I am in my house.

All of these discussions are within the context of this currently hypothetical Roon Mobile, or so I assume, so the download vs stream is a question of, once one opens the Roon app on a mobile when out and about and goes to the library to play something, is the library file that is then played resident on someoneā€™s Roon Core in their home and streamed over the internet to the Roon endpoint on their mobile device (that is what the people who want Roon Remote to be remote streaming from their home core hope will happen - as I understand such peopleā€™s wishes) or is the file stored locally on the mobile device (that is how people like me who want Roon Remote to be a truly disconnected system that would work somewhere in places such as on a plane with no/unusable/prohibitively-expensive internet access or a subway train deep underground, or simply have a reasonably low but currently sufficient data allowance on their mobile plan, want it to work).

Downloading music files to the mobile device is the easy part, subsequently being able to play those files using the Roon interface when not on the same local network as oneā€™s core is the missing bit - unless I really have missed something.

2 Likes

I see the Bluesound Powernode Edge is being advertised on their web site as Roon Ready.

Since it isnā€™t on the Roon Ready Partners list, I am guessing this is premature. Is it at least in house for certification?

Thinking about a bedroom system and I donā€™t want to get involved in a Hegelian (pun intended) kind of debacle.

Oops. / 10 char

Yep, more manufacturer optimism, I think.

Sorry if this has already been posted but received this email several days ago. Is ROON going mobile? Another words control Qobuz or Tidal via your phone?

I guess you will find out one way or another in three daysā€¦

1 Like

Hi, Roon has been Tweeting a teaser campaign for a few weeks and now we have the email(s) as well.

Iā€™ve merged your topic here, itā€™s quite long so I suggest a skim read ā€¦ but it should bring you up to speed on the speculation.

Thanks much! Yeah I posted that without looking at the feed obviously, my bad. Skim is right, took me awhile just to scroll to the top! :slight_smile:

Looking forward to this!

1 Like

I think if there is a mobile apication the streaming quality is going to be knocked back as the interface between mobile and car is normally Bluetooth which, letā€™s face it, is not capable of the hi res that we look for in our homes and furthermore, the incremental increases in performance eeked out at home will be pointless as most (99.999%) of car audio wonā€™t reproduce it and when they did, Road noise and other influences will make it pointless.

Personally I will be delighted if streaming on the go is announced as I will be able to use my playlists that have been unified with audio tracks from my collection that arenā€™t on Tidal and wonā€™t have to muck around with creating playlists on Tidal or other apps just to listen to in the car.

My inner copy editor (damn nuisance) told me to look that up. Urban Dictionary: eeked I think the term you were reaching for is ā€œekedā€.

Bill

You still get the gist of what I am saying thoughā€¦

VR headset integration :nauseated_face:

1 Like

My car has two different wired connections plus bluetooth. However, I already have Carplay and other options. I would be more interested in using my iPhone when walking my dog or sitting outside in a quiet place, etc.

But, as I already predicted, I suspect 50 percent of people wonā€™t like it regardless of what it is. You just canā€™t please some people.

2 Likes

I agreeā€¦ this community is generally a pretty tough crowd to please.

Which Linux kernel is recommended for Roon 2.0? Which kernel was used in the testing done by Roon Labs?

Big words, hopefully doesnā€™t result in lots of disappointment

I got the email and came here looking for the discussion of it. Love the observation that the young people in the teaser are well outside the current demographic of Roon users. :joy: Itā€™s just true. Luxury cars might be about right for the audiophile crowd and their disposable income, but most of them arenā€™t young ā€¦ or women. :joy: If theyā€™re going to replace Plex by going mobile, that would be exciting, but I doubt that would come without extra expense. I love Roon exactly as it is. Iā€™m here for any extras, but Iā€™m not one of the ones driving a Porsche. If the extras make it more expensive ā€¦ That would make me sad. Fingers crossed itā€™s all just Roon awesomeness. A streaming app for my newly acquired 1st gen A&K SR25 ā€¦ thatā€™s the best thing I can imagine.

3 Likes

Its an interesting thought. If roon has to host your files in any format then very much expect to pay more for that, as long as its a bolt on for those want it. I cannot see them doing that though, I always wondered about other companies like google doing it, what if it turns out the music is pirated or what ever?

I canā€™t wait - for years Iā€™ve been seeing people SCREAM to be able to play their Roon Core from Bubble UPnP app on their phone - with beautiful folder view :smiley:

4 Likes

I went to my Porsche dealership and look what I found

11 Likes