Roon 2.0: From Rumors To Reality

My guess is that the video means Roon 4K. I hope so, at least. Can you imagine watching Duran Duran’s video for “Rio” in Roon 4K?! I sure can.

1 Like

My mail is totally different software with ability to access core outside network. Such a build can only mean outside network access, surely. I can’t think of a bigger possible step.

I hope the hell not.

1 Like

Okay then. Roon 4K Pro! :upside_down_face:

Off topic.

Perhaps continue this discussion in the thread you started showing all your measurements?

2 Likes

As we are all guessing, my guess is that they will announce the purchase of Roon by Amazon.

Actually I wouldn’t mind Tidal videos incorporated into Roon. The experience of videos in the Tidal Android TV app is really bad and I would love a better implementation with Roon Radio and volume leveling. But I don’t think a 2.0 would be about that.

If Roon makes our library accessible outside of the home so we can stream/download music to our phones. Then, I will be very happy. Very happy, indeed.

1 Like

I find it highly unlikely people would get a reliable stream coming from their home network with 256k dsd or whatever, you will be lucky to get cd quality reliably working. Remember it will be your upload speed that matters. In the uk at least that is at generally 20 megabits a second at best and assuming that nothing else on your lan is speaking to the world.

Therefore Roon would need to offer a way to download to your phone.

I won’t explain it the third time, it’s all further up

1 Like

CD quality is 44.1x1000x16x2 = 1411200 bps which is approximately 1.4 Mbps, so this shouldn’t be a problem. Am I missing something?

6 Likes

Not at all assuming no latency or errors or drops it should work fine. And of course assuming you have a stable connection at the other end

I have played around with serving files from my house for years, I have 50 up. It’s always been hit and miss. Nowadays I use onedrive for files I need access to quickly and prefer to not have ports open on the home lan.

I have used Roon over zero tier up to work that worked to a fashion but anything above cd quality was a struggle. I appreciate this was not the design intent. Plex works better but even a shallow dive into the workings will reveal its changing the bitrate on the fly depending on connection quality.

Will be interesting to see how they manage it, my guess will be simply a download button against tracks rather than streaming from your network.

Plex has massively more experience in this area and just recently got hacked yet again. I don’t want that for Roon so let’s hope it’s not some sort of intermediary connection.

Marketing Baloney

1 Like

I am one of the people who 100% wants Roon Mobile to be a solution that downloads one’s library files to the mobile device rather than streaming over the internet from a Roon Core at home although I know lots of other people want the streaming solution and I don’t denigrate those wishes or that feature request. Your comment above has just made me wonder, if remote streaming from a home core is part of the new release, whether that might have a perhaps unintended but for me very welcome consequence.

You talk about latency and dropouts and as I understand it RAAT is very sensitive to even slightly dodgy networks because one of its core design goals is to synchronise playback across multiple devices in the home. When I use Roon at home to listen on my balcony via headphones connected to my iPhone I notice this because of track skips when I get up to go to the fridge to get another beer or wander around to get something to read or whatever. As I cross over mesh points the brief mesh point handover can cause havoc (although in fairness this seems to get better with every release).

What I’m thinking is that surely if Roon 2.0 is going to introduce remote streaming it can’t be as picky about network quality as it is now. I posted a feature request to allow an endpoint to be identified as a stand-alone endpoint that will never need to participate in a synchronised speaker group so that the protocol could be more tolerant of transient network errors or a few upward blips in latency during playback and I would have though that Roon would need to implement such increased network tolerance for remote endpoints connected over the internet. If that is indeed the case then just maybe, even though I would never stream to my iPhone remotely when I am not at home, I could still benefit from that extra resilience when I am listening to headphones in my own home by getting Roon to use the more tolerant remote streaming protocol to my iPhone despite it still being connected to my local WiFi.

1 Like

I never understood why they are not selling different masters of the same album as digital files… should be a goldmine.

You would have everything in one.

1 Like

We’ve been busy on 2.0, and hardware integrations team doesn’t work on 2.0.

3 Likes

If you only want to use downloaded files, can’t you do that already? I have over 512 gb of music loaded on my Android phone already. And over 1 TB in my vehicle.

It’s a pain in the rear end for us iOS users… :rofl: So, being able to stream while out, but also download music for offline use would be welcome. I like out in the sticks where signal is very patchy.

If remote Roon is at all happening on 20th September and I’m not really fussed either way, I think your Roon Core information will be automatically loaded to a Roon server on a daily basis. You will then access that server just like any other streaming service whilst mobile.

1 Like