Roon 2.0: From Rumors To Reality

Ready set and hgo with the data plan, unlimited rates are acceptable here in the Netherlands. Bring on Roon Mobile…

1 Like

I want Roon 2.0 to have one of the big music services , either Amazon , Spotify or Apple .

That’s all I want.

2 Likes

Very clearly going to be remote roon access finally. The video is the classic “enjoy your music anywhere while travelling” type of thing with the actual content of the video being a red herring of filming with drones and an SLR to make you think it’s about video in roon. Spoiler: it’s not.

I use Apple Music for mobile and my hi res files are already on my phone . So why would I need Roon mobile ?

1 Like

You are not everyone that uses Roon….

4 Likes

If Roon 2.0 has features you don’t need, don’t use them.

2 Likes

Yeah I hear . You not using any music services ?

I have Qobuz but mostly listen to my ripped CDs, SACDs, and hires content.

1 Like

So you can’t download your hi res files onto your mobile phone or use Qobuz for mobile use ?

1 Like

My local content would not fit on my iPhone and wouldn’t want to use multiple apps to play music.

Tidal and Qobuz have mobile apps, as does Apple Music.

Ok . I know there are 1terabyte phones now. You have more than that ?!?!

I’m fussy about how my music is sorted particularly when browsing albums which is mostly how I access it. With Roon I can just download or rip files and Roon’s options to sort artist by surname and then sort that artist’s albums by release date means I get exactly the sort order I want using the standard tags without going in and editing in any extra tags. I have been doing the same as you, copying my music to my iPhone and playing it with the Apple Music app but that means that I have to go and edit in albumsort and artistsort tags on every track added e.g. all the tracks on Hunky Dory have artistsort tag “Bowie, David” and albumsort “Bowie, David, 1971”. Also, real estate for icons on the main iPhone screen that can be accessed immediately without swiping to another page is limited and I do also use Roon remote when at home to control headphone playback from my main Roon Core so I have both apps on my home screen. If Roon could also play my locally stored files I wouldn’t need Apple Music at all so I save a bit of space on my Home Screen.

OK, my reasons might be of absolutely no interest to you but for me at least that is why I would like to be able to use Roon to play my on-device music.

1200 5-minute DSD256 tracks take over 1TB. Personally I think it’s crazy to store any hi-res anywhere, but hey, people like astronomy. Or at least astronomical numbers…

I’m hoping for the final end of the “low quality” designation for the mighty mp3.

2 Likes

I hope it means an end to the “Roon lost control of the audio device” messages!

5 Likes

Well, the reason I store ripped CDs, ripped SACDs, and hires content locally is that I prefer the masterings I have to what you can get on Qobuz or Tidal. In fact, music streaming services often have some of the worst masterings available.

1 Like

That makes perfect sense. If you have physical media, you need to back it up, so you might as well stream it. I also buy music and store it locally, only not hi-res. You seem to have bought into the idea of hi-res, so now you’re stuck with huge files. The only SACDs I have (two of them, to play with) are backed up as ISO, but my library has down-converted versions.

You and your veiled insults….

4 Likes

Wait, so you think hi-res is bad too?