Roon 2.0: From Rumors To Reality

I just tried what you said and you are right. Let the first track complete, then the next track appears and you can even click the Next button right away now and it works.

2 Likes

I have a problem with this new update, my system 1 the core will support version 2.0, on system 2 (on my farm) it wonā€™t, how will I be able to control the 2 cores? the cell phone is already with version 2.0 and I can no longer control the system core 2.

So im driving along in my car listening to the latest roon recommendations from tidal and qobuz. i hear a song i like and would like to hear again. so i reach for a simple click of the like button - but itā€™s greyed out. so i begin the rigmarole and just about manage to click the tiny 3 dots for more options, scroll down to click add to library and then click the like button. totally unworkable in a car. of course you shouldnā€™t be using your phone while driving but clicking a heart button on a phone mounted on your dash takes 1 second on tidal/spotify/qobuz/every other music app out there - with no road safety issues - unlike arc which requires navigating your way through menus to simply like a song. given that the promo video highlights car use strongly they should really have thought about something workable here (like not greying out the heart button but making it both add to library and like in 1 click).

then iā€™m listening to one of my playlists and a song comes up that i want to remove from the playlist - no way to do that in arc

no way to tag an album for listening to at a later date with arc

and when i try to add a track to a playlist none of my playlists are there ā€” even though they are in the playlists menu in arc - only options is to create a new one

imo 2.0 is an awful effort at a mobile music player with the most basic of functionality missing. also very disappointing that roon remote 2.0 still doesnā€™t allow the main menu to be reordered and reorganised

2 Likes

For those that have updated have you turned into sexy young people like in the ads, I am holding off until I know this is an actual feature.

Also how are we managing multiple people out and about using ARC back to the same server, from a licensing perspective, I am assuming its fine?

Also looking at the ad they are saying that it will work even in patchy 3G. I can only presume therefore its varying bitrate as needed. Would love to know more about how they are managing this as it seems on the face of it fair to assume its going to be variable at best.

1 Like

Might want to do that. I loaded ARC and I look 30 years younger. Downside is my coupe became a convertible.

4 Likes

Hi all, two weeks old Roon rookie here.
First of all: Congratulations with the two point oh! In my very short time as a customer Iā€™ve seen two updates, a small one and a big one. Very nice.
Being a Scandinavian the Roon Arc hasnā€™t shown up in my Play Store just yet, but I was wondering: Is there any point at all installing the Roon Remote app, or should I just wait a day or two for the Arc to show up, is there any benefit in running both?

That is going to be a limited use case but a very fair question! Are you saying that the latest roon remote update will not work with 1.8?

That would be a bad move on Roons front, because phone app updates are often automatic and even if not very easy to accidentally update along with ather apps.

I am going to install the latest roon app IOS on a spare phone and see what it does, hang on.

1 Like

Please see our Migration FAQ:

We now have Legacy Roon Apps available:

iOS App Store
Android Play Store
Android Manual Install (Link to APK)

2 Likes

Iā€™ve always thought it odd that you canā€™t simply like an album you are playing. You have to add it to your library first, and then like it. This should be a single step.

3 Likes

Thats cool, thanks for that.

1 Like

I use a FiiO KA1. Not cumbersome at all. Donā€™t use a wireless connection if you want lossless high resolution music.

Yes.

Yes, they can transcode / transrate using OPUS (stereo music optimization). It works really well but Iā€™ve also found where around home lossless is very stable.

The Roon Remote is for using the full functionality of Roon in the same local network as the Core is. (Well, on a phone it isnā€™t actually using the full functionality. However, it uses the full bandwidth and the RAAT protocol, and it is a first-class participant in your local multiroom zones)

ARC is mainly for having access to your Roon Core remotely from a phone for playing, with limited features but in many ways integrated into Roon (e.g., credits, play counts, etc.).
(Though ARC can also be used in the local network for playing on a phone. I use it to listen to music in the garden because my wifi is poor out there)

4 Likes

Roon Remote is used within your home and has more functionality than Roon ARC; Roon ARC is for accessing your Roon Core when outside of your home.

I have both installed on my phone. I use Roon Remote at home, and I listen to music and podcasts on my phone using Roon ARC when Iā€™m away.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a good question. Inside the house any family member or visitor can use your Roon Core because the account sign-in lives with the Roon Core, not each client app. But outside the house, each Roon ARC client has to sign in in order to identify the Roon Core to use. Does that mean you can let all your friends and relatives use your Roon Core by giving them your password?

If youā€™re willing to give them your Roon user / pass. Remember, they can modify your library and post as you here with those credentials.

1 Like

Yes good point.

Now Iā€™ve verified that I can use it with the Legacy version 1.8, I downloaded it on the controller but the Core (Mac Mini 2011) is still stuck on version 1.8 build 1105, I couldnā€™t find a way to download the Legacy version for the Core.

Add images

Add images

Well I dont think you can have it both ways? To control the 1.8 mac, use the legacy 1.8 softwares.

1 Like

It has library management baked Into ARC.

It canā€™t use local endpoints but it that isnā€™t really the risk is it? Itā€™s the ability to manipulate the entire library. ā€œParty Modeā€ is a feature thatā€™s been asked for even before I knew of Roon. How that impacts ARC, if at all, will get interesting.