Roon acquired by Harman International [Feedback]

I hope not, lifers should be fine! See post #2 above!

5 Likes

Congrats to the Roon team! Glad to hear nothing changes for (lifetime)subscribers.
Like others have mentioned, let’s hope it won’t mean anything negative for privacy issues.

2 Likes

Yes let’s be hopeful that Roon will be an anomaly in the history of acquisitions.

11 Likes

Sadly given Harmans history with acquisitions I can’t share the optimism of some on here.

As for privacy concerns that some have voiced based on past responses whenever this topic has arisen it is blatantly obvious that nobody in Roon has even the slightest grasp of the issues nor do they care. Harmon I am afraid are no different.

I hope that I am wrong on all counts. Good luck folks!

21 Likes

KKBOX is Taiwanese and does not stream to Korea.

MelOn is the streaming service king of Korea.

8 Likes

And no mention of this in the press release. But, I guess they can’t say it won’t happen. Most likely there will be change to the privacy terms. WIll have to keep an eye out for changes to the following:

I wonder if going forward the first bullet point means that personal information can be shared with Samsung, and affliated companies, as they won’t be a 3rd party anymore.

@enno Some clarity on privacy going forward would be appreciated.

6 Likes

Why is everyone so concerned with data privacy? If you’ve been on the internet for years, most of your data is probably already freely floating in the webosphere.

33 Likes

I just want Roon to continue on and to improve in the stability department.

10 Likes

Not to put too fine a point on this - I should jolly well hope so. When you’ve spent a not inconsiderable amount of your hard-earned cash on ROON, the license you’ve invested in should be unassailable.

25 Likes

Hope everything turns out the way they say. We remember what happened to Sooloos some years after they were bought by Meridian.
This is for sure good for the owners. Let’s hope it’s good for all the Rooners as well.
Lifer for life

9 Likes

What have you bought? Where is your proof of any purchase? :wink:

1 Like

It will be interesting to see if there’s an updated EULA and “Agree” button in a future upgrade workflow.

1 Like

I just don’t want to see ads for Samsung or HK products in my Roon app.

30 Likes

I’d be curious how Roon’s partners will react. One benefit of Roon was it was brand neutral as long as the product was Roon Certified/RoonReady. What data will Samsung/Harman collect from users and devices? How might this affect on-going Roon support for other brands?

23 Likes

Sincere Congrats to the ROON team. They’ve built an outstanding product, ecosystem an community. From a business perspective this makes total sense.

As a user and lover of music there are some concerns that only time will clarify. For now, things stay the same, including “lifers”.

However when the numbers at corporate level in some management meeting seem to small 
 a while from now
 the “growth” not good enough to someone with no idea about the music business, these things will start to change. For that time, I am not too optimistic.

Because the cost of money is loss of power, of customer-focused values. etc.

Immediate concern: Personal data, device support (who will NOT want to partner with Samsung). Plus a rather uncreative corporate culture within Samsung. No idea how “independent” Harman is and how “independent” Roon will remain, but eventually the only thing deciding is where the money comes from.

For now, I’m happy for the team, but less optimistic for things a few years from now.

11 Likes

Congratulations!

1 Like

I am, having been in the middle of a few, on both sides, which I is why I hope the Roon business and Product strategy is left alone as an independent business unit.

1 Like

Feels like a good move. Harman strike me as big enough to inject resources but not so big that Roon just becomes a forgotten M&A project.

There goes any hope for AppleMusic support now as Harmon is owned by Samsung.

9 Likes

Works for Blusound doesn’t it. They license out to non Lenbrook brands.

3 Likes