Roon acquired by Harman International [Feedback]

Onwards to the future! Used to sell Harman products (their home cinema systems). Good news for the Lifetime subscriptions. I hope it remains true.

14 Likes

Congratulations to the team at ROON.

I look forward to hearing whatā€™s next and seeing whatā€™s possible ā€¦

8 Likes

Good to hear!

2 Likes

Time flies, itā€™s April already.

Well, congrats, and I hope this is what you wanted and is good for Roon and its users. Exciting times.

4 Likes

Congratulations!

2 Likes

Congratulations to Roon owners and employees.

13 Likes

The one thing that made me think ā€œwait, what?ā€ :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Iā€™ve always been aware Roon could be bought out, but Samsung is a bit of a surpriseā€¦

14 Likes

Smart things - Samsung. Hubitat ā€¦

Slimdevices - Logitech. Open sourceā€¦

ROON -Harman (Samsung) ā€¦ā€¦?

2 Likes

160 brands super happy to embrace Samsung/Harman?

This should be really interesting as soon as the lawyers get involved. Here nor there, wait and see. Many other ways to listen to music these days.

7 Likes

Congratulations to the Roon Team and, by extension, all of us as Roon users!

Iā€™ve always admired the Harmon brand and very glad that there is a buffer for Roon between Harmon and Samsung (Iā€™m less enamored with Samsungā€™s customer service).

I believe that Roon Labs is secure within the Harmon group, and thatā€™s good news!

6 Likes

Congratulations on getting the deal done.

I do hope Roon, the team and the vision & ethos will be left to exist within the larger Harman organisation.

5 Likes

If you are at all familiar with acquisitions you should know that the acquired company typically undergoes a major restructuring. Time will tell, membership is not ownership thus no vote is required from members.

15 Likes

Congrats @danny, @enno and the rest of the Roon team.

I know how hard you worked your a** off to build this gamechanging product (I still remember me being depressed when Logitech killed the Slimdevices and my joy when I found Roon :wink: )

Looking forward to the future!

Best regards,
Harry

27 Likes

Interesting news and congratulations to the Roon team.

My main concern going forward will be with how Roon treats customer privacy and user data.

Will we now have a system where data on our listening habits (as is viewing data on Samsung TVs) is sent back to Samsung for their usage? Iā€™m sure it would be quite valuable to them.

20 Likes

If growth is what this move represents, then Harman are going to expect something in the way of profit in the short to mid term, and selling user data is one way to achieve that.

The post doesnā€™t mention user data or privacy concerns, but itā€™s the first thing that comes to mind for me. And itā€™s a worrying oversight in this post.

Hereā€™s hoping that Roon can avoid becoming the victim of major restructures, user sell off, or even being stripped into assets. This is what happens to the vast majority of startups.

I believe that Roon can grow and continue to represent its smallish user base. Some indication of how you plan to do that would be reassuring. As a lifetime sub, I remain optimistic. I really want to be still using Roon 5 or even 10 years from now, when the music streaming industry is likely to be vastly different. I hope Harman can help and not hinder Roon getting there.

Good luck going forwards.

36 Likes

Congrats team - Iā€™m sure itā€™ll be a lot of work to embed everything. I really hope this makes the product take wings even more. Itā€™s truly been transformative to how I listen to music, and Iā€™ve ā€œalready gotten my moneyā€™s worthā€ out of my lifetime sub, but I hope that it just keeps getting better.

Good luck all!

1 Like

Congrats, Roon!

I hope this means youā€™ll have more resources to keep advancing your vision for Roon (and Roon Arcā€¦please). Less buggy software and more support staff would be awesomeā€¦too. :wink:

2 Likes

This was inevitable and I hope Roonā€™s founders are rewarded for the years of work on a remarkable product we all love.

I assume, within a few quarters, lifetime subscribers will need to start paying a monthly fee for some features which is probably okay. I just hope these ā€œvalue add feesā€ for lifetime subs are reasonable and donā€™t suffer from scope creep.

@mvrlogins I also have real concerns regarding data.

8 Likes

Like with what Apple did the acquisition of Primephonic. Apple Music Classical is a pale shadow of Primephonic.

6 Likes