Roon and Classe CP-800

Hi,

I’m using ROON on a CP800 mkII, with the ROON core on a Sonic Transport i5, a Microrendu, and a Synology nas.
Very convenient, and I find the sound quality better this way then with the CP800 connected directly via USB to an Imac running the core.

When I contacted Classe audio beginning last year, they stated they had, at that time, no intention to implement Roon.
It’s a shame really, considering this preamp provides a great sounding ethernet connection, but limited to dlna/airplay.

Classe itself does not provide any control software, so it seems to me, implementing Roon would be a great and relatively cheap solution to significantly upgrade an otherwise excellent but slightly aging product.

The other thing missing now is MQA, not to mention DSD…

Come on Classe, show us you care about your customers, and keep your products up to date!

Thanks for the info, its a shame they have no plans for roon.

I did see a story somewhere that the CP-800 will be replaced later this year, perhaps the new product will have Roon and MQA!

Your welcome.
I also posted on Classe Audio forum on HTGuide.com, and a sales guy from B&W replied that he would like to see Roon implemented, but it is not expected upon the initial release of the new Delta range this year. Hopefully later on. About MQA he didn’t elaborate, but considering how conservative Classe has been in the previous years implementing new technologies, I wouldn’t keep my hopes to high…
In my opinion, it seems very unlikely anything new will come out for existing CP-800 owners.
Considering Roon’s succes, a missed opportunity to make existing costumers very happy at a low cost.
Apparently, the new CP-800 will cost almost the double of the original, when it first came out, and seems to use the same casing. It will not be backwards compatible though, so no more hardware upgrades for the actual CP-800. The new power amps will have imo useless VU meters added, that disgrace the otherwise minimalistic design I personally loved so much.
All in my personal opinion of course.

Thanks for the information. It seems a shame to add VU meters to the amps, as you say it will not help the aesthetic at all.

For the moment, I’m very happy with the Classè combo, cp 800 + ca 3200, but the new Delta series could be a great upgrade.

Reviving this old topic. I am a happy Roon and Naim Atom HE user. The Roon integration with Naim equipment is simply stunning. However, I will be test driving a CP-800mk2 later this week to see if it sounds better than the Naim. I have Roon running on a dedicated Mac Mini and I will connect it to the Classé using an Audioquest Carbon USB cable. I am very curious to hear how the Naim and the Classé compare. And also how big of a step back it will be to go from the Roon Certified naim to the Classé fed via USB.

Also I am curious to hear about others using a CP-800mk2 in combination with Roon and how you believe the combination works and sounds best.

BR,
Richard

Well, to answer my own questions:

• the CP-800mk2 sounds awesome
  • Roon via USB works perfectly (see below)
  • Roon via AirPlay works without issues

When connected via USB (Mac Mini Roon server in my case) de CP-800 is recognised and automatically all settings are applied e.g. DSD to PCM conversion and maximum sampling rates. No dropouts and gapless playback. Also, changing the volume in Roon changes the volume on the CP-800.

I could not be more satisfied with the sound and the user experience is not bad at all. Not as good as with my Roon certified Naim Atom, but for an almost 10 years old preamp, it could have been much worse.

BR,
Richard

1 Like

will we see Classé_Audio certified RoonReady one day ?

Ask Classe it’s entirely manufacturer driven.