Roon and CXN/DSD disappointment. DSD suggestions please

Hi Harry

That link goes nowhere , do I need to do it on the Core Machine ?

Sorry new to all this ??

Mike

Got it by IP address, sent the feedback reference 063c849fedf627af

Mike

Okā€¦ but what is the exact problem? Thatā€™s still unclear to me. I see in the logs that youā€™ve got an M-DAC connected and not the CXN.

Could you explain what the issue is your exactly facing?

Roon cannot play DSD on CXN regardless of the set up. I have tried the ā€œbackā€ USB connection with my MAC directly connected and the required USB enabled on the CXN. It converts and doesnā€™t play DSD. Every other network configuration with the CXN (wireless or ethernet. Wired MACs) plays via air play and converts to 44/16. For me Roon has been a waste of money. I was seduced by the interface but I have free players on my MACs, phone and iPad that I can play my DSD files using an external HDD on my CXN.
My entire post has really just been about that point. The only reason I got Roon was it seemed better than other software even though that software played DSD from my MAC wireless into my network ethernet connected CXN. I assumed Roon, which seem well regarded by audiophiles would play DSD like the other software. Further evidence of how expensive Roon is for what it is .
I play mainly vinyl because it sound better than digital but I do enjoy the CXN and I like what I hear with DSD.
For me Roon has simply been a waste of money

ok. but to be clear:

It does play PCM right?

Sorry let me try and be clearerā€¦

I have 2 DACs
Audiolab M-DAC (DAC and headphone amp)
Cambridge Audio CXN (DAC and Network Streamer)
Both are USB Capable, the CXN is network capable.

Neither are Roon Ready.

I use the CXN as an Airplay speaker with an ethernet cable , and I recently bought a RPi to feed the M-DAC USB directly as a Roon End Point with RoPieee.

The M-DAC on USB works fine but limits by design to 24/96, the CXN on USB will go to 24/192. So once I got everything working with the RPI I decided to try the RPI feeding the CXN so I cold get the 24/192

When I connect the RPi to the network and USB to the MDAC and the CXN to the network I see this
Capture

The RPI connecting the M-DAC and the Airplay of the CXN on its own network connection

When I now disconnect the USB to the M-DAC and connect the RPi USB to the CXN I donā€™t see the CXN as a ā€œNetworkedā€ device as in the picture, I still see it in the Airplay section.

If I now disconnect the CXN from the network completely (wired and wireless) , I would expect to see the DAC portion as a standalone USB DAC as I originally saw the MDAC , I donā€™t . Roon simply doesnā€™t see it all

All config on the CXN is OK and all software and firmware is up to date.

The Logs I sent were sent with the CXN back in its Ethernet connected state as the image above.

I trust thatā€™s confirmed what the status is.

I can send further logs with the CXN connected as a standalone DAC if that would help

Cheers

Mike

Ok, but it would help to ā€˜clear the pictureā€™ if you leave out the M-DAC. This has nothing to do with the M-DAC, so the logs I had were not very useful.

So, with the M-DAC removed, make sure the CXN is connected over USB with the Pi (and turned on!) and with the ethernet connection removed from the CXN.

Also, give it a ā€˜hardā€™ poweroff/poweron cycle without the ethernet cable connected.
And just to be sure: itā€™s placed in USB 2 mode in the settings right?

After powering up, please send me again feedback.

Seems the problems is with Roon and there seems to be a lot of effort going into making hardware work with software that is simply not up to the job. Iā€™m looking elsewhere which is a shame because the radio feature in Roon I really love.

Hi Mark

This getting worse !!

I used CA Connect for a limited time , it does A JOB but its a bit primitive compared to some software. I used JRiver and JRemote for many years and like you I was seduced by the UI of Roon. It has lots of good bits but quite a few shortcomings. I know its an expense but I keep both Jriver and Roon servers running and use them both depending on the requirement.

JRiver handles DSD and SACD ISO natively and controlled by JRemote work 100% with the CXN.

I am sure the powers that be donā€™t like such discussions on this forum so if you want to chat pls PM me

Mike

He guys, Iā€™m willing to help out here, but simply claiming that ā€˜Roonā€™s not up to the jobā€™ is not helping. At all.
Thereā€™s a ton of hardware that works out of the box, and including stuff like DSD.

Let me know if you need any help.

Thanks,

Ok

I have disconnected CXN from network, hard power up I am seeing USB Audio 192 KHz on the screen which implies USB Class 2 is OK

I have sent logs 06ace4f2f0bcc5f1

this is what I see in Roon

ie no Networked devices

Cheers

Mike

Iā€™m still confused. I still see the M-DAC in the logs. Is that still connected to the Pi?
Can you please unplug the M-DAC completely and have only the CXN connected?

Sorry Harry bit of frustration creeping in

I am a Roon convert but some aspects are on the Coming Soon list that raise a level of frustration.

DSD to me isnā€™t one of them I am more concerned around software issues like classical handling. Hardware has not been a problem until this CXN issue and even that is able to be worked around

Sorry if we are stirring stuff up unnecessarily

Cheers

Mike

Iā€™ll do it again but the log was taken when it was completely unplugged. Let me repeat the whole exercise, back in a mo

Do you have an USB hub in between by any chance?

Right

MDAC completely unplugged from RPI, still powered up but NO Connections to anywhere

CXN Restarted from scratch , error messages saying No Network (as expected)

a903f77cafb36688

Still shows USB Audio 192.0 khz
Roon Audio Settings still shows o networked devices as per previous picture

Cheers

Mike

No its the RPi , direct cable to either device, same cable and different cables show no difference.

There is a network switch but the Rpi Conncection has been the same all along

Mike

Ok. Iā€™ve found the problem. The CXN is not properly registered on the Pi (Linux) as a working Audio device. So itā€™s not Roonā€™s fault that it does not recognize the device.

Now the weird thing is: with all USB attached devices that are being used by happy Roon customers, this is the first time that Iā€™ve seen something like this.

Iā€™m gonna do some digging around why this is happeningā€¦

Just for for the test: can you disable the ā€˜USB 2ā€™ option in the CXN and try again? Itā€™s clear that thatā€™s not what you want because the documentation says the max sample rate goes down, but at least we can see if that setting causes the problem.

Thanks,

1 Like

Will do back in mo

1 Like

OK

c0c7e0be5fb6aded

CXN Reset to USB Class 1
CXN Hard Restart

Shows USB Audio 96Khz as expected

Mike