Roon and HQPlayer on NAS?

I just installed Roon on my Synology NAS and I am very happy with the speed, it (DS1823xs) is faster than my Nucleus plus. Now I am asking if it would be possible to run HQPlayer on the NAS? I think speed wise it would be ok for my need.

Mmmh, I’m on QNAP and not on Synology, but it really depends on what you will do with HQPlayer. I don’t expect, that the Ryzen V1780B CPU (it’s comparable with Intel i3) can effectiv work for example in the DSD area.
You need to setup on your NAS an own container (or VM) for HQPlayer and the you can test (HQPlayer is running limited without license).
But I would prefer an additional PC for HQPlayer (perhaps a RPi5 is enough for you → for that you can install the dedicated HQPlayer OS from Jussi) without a running Roon and other stuff.

Well, my experience is different, compared with roon on my Nucleus plus (i7, 16GB) the NAS ist way faster.
I don´t want another computer running for HQPlayer.

Then you probably are not going to be using HQPlayer. It’s computing needs far far far outstrip anything Roon requires, so much so, that to do many of the higher level filters and modulators besides using something like an i7 or i9 processor you also need an additional nvidia graphics card to utilize it’s graphics GPU for additional processing power.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.