Roon android app does not find core

ROON core is always (more or less) on.
Roon app on android device (galaxy s4) is trying to connect now since some minutes (not finding core).
note that there are (maybe) 2 more android devices on the network (with roon app).

thanks
N

Hello @Niccolo_Terzi,

Thanks for confirming that. I still did not see any report from your android device show up in our diagnostics server but this might just be a side-effect of the issue. I have a few other suggestions:

  • Are you able to ping the S4 from your Roon Core using Command Prompt?
  • Is the firmware version the same for the replacement router?
  • Are there any firewall settings on the new router which the old one did not have?
  • Is multicast enabled on the router?
  • What is the exact model/manufacturer of the router?
  • If you can try Roon on a different network with the same Core and Remote as a temporary test, does the same behavior still occur?

Thanks,
Noris

Hallo @noris

i have just tried to connect with the mobile, and now it works. even though there’s nothing i’ve changed.

it will stay as a mistery…

thanks

Hi @Niccolo_Terzi,

Thanks for letting me know that it’s working now, it’s certainly strange if you haven’t changed anything. I’m going to mark this case as [Solved] but if the issue re-appears do let me know.

Thanks,
Noris

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hi noris
it’ more than a week now that my android app cannot connect to roon core, again.
can you please re-open the support ticket?

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-android-app-does-not-find-core/66030/11

Hi @Niccolo_Terzi,

Just re-opened the thread as you requested. Can you let me know some more information on the thread? Has anything changed vs when it was working and it was not?

Thanks,
Noris

Thanks @noris
No, absolutely nothing changed in my system settings.
-Win7 Roon core, with static local Lan IP address
-various devices connected in the same network: an android 5 tablet, another android smartphone and a win10 laptop connecting with no problem to Roon Core
-one android 4 smartphone that used to connect normally, but now it doesn’t…

thanks
niccolò

Hi Niccolo,

I wanted to check in with you here as I’ve been discussing your case a bit with the team.

I am not quite sure why the Android device would stop locating the Core, but we do have some low-level infrastructure changes on the Android side of things in the works.

I can’t say when for certain, but these changes should ship soon and it’s possible that the changes to the Android infrastructure will help you here, so our best bet might be waiting for the release to ship and then we can do some more troubleshooting here if the issues persist once the new release is live.

Thanks,
Noris

OK. i confirm that my android roon app did connect again, and then stopped again.
this happens only with this device (i think android 5.0.1) but does not with other more recent devices.
this yes/no behavior could be explained if you are changing things on roon side, as on my side everything is pretty stable.
i’ll wait.

Detection sometimes needs a loooong time. If your impatient, this trick might help (I used it myself already with success):

1 Like

thanks, i knew the trick. no use in this case.
in general, android devices take some secs to connect, and connection is not so stable. but i can live with this.
in this case, there is really a problem, as the device does not connect at all.
thanks anyway :grinning:

after new release, android app looks muche more responsive.
for my problem: the device is still non connecting…

Hi @Niccolo_Terzi,

Glad to hear that the update has helped with responsiveness. Maybe resetting the phone to factory default settings or double-checking that there is no active VPN on it may help? It’s very strange that it’s just that one phone and not the others.

– Noris

@noris, resetting to factory is quite extreme solution…
consider that the phone sometimes connect, sometimes not (with no change in home network whatsoever)
and that other android devices DO connect with no problem in the same configuration.

so my best guess is that there is some problem of roon with that version of android (5.0.1) (other devices are newer).

Hi Niccolo,

I agree that factory resetting is a bit of an extreme solution, but other than giving this a try I am not sure why other Android phones would be working without issue and this one wouldn’t. Seems like the issue might be localized to the phone itself.

– Noris

9 posts were split to a new topic: Issues connecting to Core from Android/iPad

this worked for me.

Nexus 2 stopped finding the core after the IP address of the roon core changed.

1 Like

This trick worked for me, too.

Sony Xperia 5 stopped finding core after switchin off/on NUC8I5BEH with ROCK (IP and everything was the same).