Roon app on iphone and Pixel crashes every time tries to reach Nucleus core

So, I checked with my router tech support and they confirmed there should be no crashing with the Roon software. I also reset the entire system, but had no change. I then even switched it out and tried an older router from a wel-known consumer brand, but no change. This is super frustrating.

I’m now completely at a loss. I’ve tried pretty much everything. Something is clearly disagreeing every single time the mobile Roon app attempts to handshake the Roon Nucleus and also every time the desktop app tries to “discover,” but I don’t think the cause of these specific and immediate crashes is something I can solve at this point and I’m not sure if Roon’s tech support has the bandwidth to delve into it, or my logs, and come back with a solution. I was really hoping that buying the Nucleus and a lifetime sub was going to offer a more turnkey option.

Hi @kit_roane,

Thank you for your patience here while your case reached our queue during this holiday season, and sorry to hear that the issues are still ongoing, especially on the Nucleus’ maiden voyage.

I’ve enabled diagnostics mode for your Nucleus and what this action does is automatically upload a log-set to our servers. Looking over the log, I am only seeing the lost connection to the devices, but not much additional information as to why the connection was severed, even in the system log.

Can you please try to set up a fresh database on this Nucleus and let us know if this helps with the issues? You can use the below instructions to do so:

• Create a Backup of your current Roon Database
  • Stop RoonServer from running in Nucleus’s WebUI
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RoonServer”
  • Rename the “RoonServer” folder to “RoonServer_old”
  • Restart the RoonServer in the WebUI to generate a new Database
  • Do not restore the backup
  • On the Roon Remotes, press “Use another Core” and connect to the new database

Also, just to confirm here, when your computer is acting as the Core, these devices don’t crash?

Please let me know if the above helps and hope you have a Happy New Year @kit_roane!

Hi,

@noris So, update here. I did it. I went through the entire setup again and selected zones etc, then clicked ok and the App crashed. The mobile app crashes immediately upon connecting with the server.

Note that the computer software works unless I press discover, which causes it to immediately crash. This happened again, after following the directions to create a new databse.

Did you see the logs I provided earlier from the phone and from the two roon log files?

What is the next step I can attempt?

I can send you the new logs butr not sure if they should be put on the forum.

@noris @dylan
So, Still having the same problem. This has been occurring every day since purchasing the Nucleus and the lifetime membership a month ago. If you need more logs, etc., please let me know. Or if there are other solutions that need to be tried. I’m just waiting for some guidance from you developers. I don’t appear to be the only one having this or similar crashing issues. (And to answer previous question, the phone apps crash no matter where the core is located… Nucleus or computer.)

Hi @kit_roane,

Happy New Year and thank you for the additional details! I have submitted your log traces for review with our QA team. Your case is in the queue and as soon as I have their analysis on the logs, we will reach out again. Thank you in advance for your patience here!

@noris Are you sure there is enough information in the logs? Please let me know if others may help and how to get them to whomever is dissecting them.

1 Like

Hi @kit_roane,

There are some interesting traces in your iPhone logs, so that should help get us on the right path.
Can you please private message me a full set of your Nucleus /RoonServer/Logs as a dropbox/google drive/etc. link? There may be traces in Nucleus logs before the issue occurs, I’d like to get these over to QA as well, thanks!

@noris I emailed the log. Let me know if you have it or not, and anything else needed.

1 Like

The issue seems to be related to the Nucleus. Everything was working fine until I installed it, then the same exact issues as the OP started happening, even without the nucleus. The issue is account specific (at least for me), not hardware-related. You can test this by creating a different Roon account and getting a free Roon trial on that account. In my case, the iOS and Android apps do not crash with the new account, but continue to crash with the account that was accosted by the Nucleus, even with the nucleus uninstalled and unplugged. I know how infuriating this issue is, so I thought I would share because the knowledge that another account doesn’t have issues convinced me that I didn’t do anything wrong.

So, I think Noris will explain more but they have now diagnosed my problem. It was as simple as having an empty birthdate in the user profile. Since I guess the discover feature and the mobile app search for that line to be included, everything automatically crashed if it failed to connect to that information. This is a very simple fix if it works for others whom I think have had similar problems.

1 Like

Hi @Omie_Omie / @kit_roane / others following this thread,

The issue here was that the Roon profiles that @kit_roane & @Omie_Omie were using had an incomplete profile and was missing the year of birth associated with their account.

This is not a common issue that we have seen, but adding the birth year to your Roon profile is the solution here, if you still have issues after adding this info, please just let us know!

Just want to add that the App had little functionality until I restarted the Roon server.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.