Roon ARC Android problems

There are a couple of Android specific problems that I’ve run into in ARC:

• ARC runs in full screen by default. This causes problems on devices using “2-button” or “3-button” system navigation as the navigation buttons are hidden by Roon (rather than being rendered underneath the app). Swiping up or down gets the app out of full screen, but this creates some janky interactions when trying to scroll or use navigation buttons.
  • ARC seems to download music without showing a notification. That’s not essential and hopefully downloads are still using something like Work Manager behind the scenes to ensure the downloading work won’t be killed by the OS, but it would be nice as a user to see an ongoing notification so that I know something is going on (and to eventually provide detailed progress, cancellation action etc). Using a foreground service for work like this is pretty common and feels like the experience I’d expect.
3 Likes

You may want to move this into the Feedback category.

I’ve moved this thread into the #feedback category for you.

Re your second point, ARC does indicate that it is downloading music - there is a progress icon by items in the download list (which is accessed by the download icon on the Home screen, next to the gearwheel icon).

In this example the top two (white) icons show the download is pending, the next icon shows that the download is in progress, and is about 50% complete, and the bottom two icons show that these albums have been downloaded.

1 Like

Great point. Just to clarify my comments, I was more concerned that I wasn’t seeing an indication of download progress outside of Roon ARC. Most apps will show a system notification while performing downloads. The most relevant example to ARC would be looking at something like Tidal’s download flow. As I said though, this isn’t essential as long as downloads do actually work when the app isn’t running!

The “full screen by default” is much more of a problem at the moment. Makes using the app with 3/2 button navigation very annoying!

1 Like